Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

850 glt 2.5 20v bad mpg

Views : 5156

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 11th, 2002, 16:37   #11
volvo850t5

I personally think that driving style is the most important factor when considering mpg. I can only take my mpg from the trip computer. When in neutral coasting downhill (not something I do often) I get 99.9mpg, when accelerating reasonably hard in a low gear I can get below 10, cruising on the motorway 60-70mph I can acheive well over 40mpg. The average mpg currently shows 30.9 mpg, that's a mixture of town and motorway driving.
I don't drive my car hard very often, obviously with a T5 like the rest of you I do drive hard now and again.
My car is mainly used to ferry around my 4 month old daughter with a Whinie the Pooh window sun sticker!! My wife drives it frequently, I think tahat explains the scuffs on the alloys!
If you drive sensibly then you should achieve a good mpg (relative to a Volvo).
Old May 11th, 2002, 21:22   #12
Davef
VOC Member

Default RE: Accelerator?

>That's what it is, then...
A brick ander the pedal!!!!!
Old May 14th, 2002, 14:17   #13
liuleichan
Premier Member

Default RE: 850 glt 2.5 20v bad mpg

>I personally think that driving style is the most important
>factor when considering mpg.

Agreed - given the done deal of what you've got, I suspect the best can be achieved by altering / improving your driving.

>I can only take my mpg from the
>trip computer. When in neutral coasting downhill (not
>something I do often) I get 99.9mpg,

Just a comment on that: when you're coasting, in neutral, in most ECU controlled cars, you'll probably be using ever-so-slightly more fuel, than you would from being in gear. When you're in neutral, but coasting at speed, there will be no direct relation between road speed and revs, however, the revs will be at least at idle, and probably at quite a high idle, as the ECU detects you're moving at speed. Some - albeit not a lot - but some fuel is used to maintain this.

However, if driving downhill, in gear, with your foot off the throttle, sort of coasting, if you will, but in-gear, with the engine controlling your speed, the car will be in overrun - very little if any fuel will be supplied to the engine, merely air. With some turbo charged cars, there may be a slight amount of fuel still provided, almost used as a cooling effect for the cylinders - but in most cars, on overrun, no fuel is used.

So in these scenarios, it's probably better to be in gear (from a fuel economy perspective), with the gear chosen, correct to maintain the road speed. Plus you get all the advantages of not having the disadvantages of coasting in neutral ;-)

Lei Chan

liuleichan is offline   Reply With Quote