Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 300/66 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

300/66 Series General Forum for the Volvo 340, 360 and 66 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

340 1.7 cutting out

Views : 1171

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 19:25   #1
david_940
Volvo Mad

Default 340 1.7 cutting out

My mothers 340 has started cutting out (mainly when approaching running temperature). The garage that services the car has remarked that the type of carb fitted is prone to failure (warping). The garage has also told my mother that the only cure is to fit a new carb. Is this likely to be correct? If so is there any alternative? The problem is sure to return, and a new carb is likely to cost a small fortune.
david_940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 13:43   #2
srtames

Default RE: 340 1.7 cutting out

Has the garage checked the distributer cap for crankcase fumes leaking past a shaft seal?
Tthere is also on some cars a idle jet solenoid which sticks. Best cure is to shorten the plunger by 2mm which closes the jet.Access is from outsde the carb and screws in externally.It has a wire going to the solenoid.

good luck steve
srtames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2003, 23:19   #3
MickT

From my experience this straight cutting out in definitely not caused by the bad air joins (warping) at the base area of the carburretor which this 1.7 set-up is prone to the symptoms of which are very uneven revs at tickover which could result in cutting out; the garages are right in this small but misleading way..because yes I have had both scenarios in my 340 over some years now . The straight cutting out seems to be cured by cleaning the distributor cap retightening and cleaning electric joins in the ignition system .Blocked breather pipes I can't comment on I don't know .But I won't forget the trouble I went to in replacing the inlet manifold (from newer car in scrapyard) and carb base plate and the big change out of evenness this made, yet occasional bouts of cutting out subsequently have been much easier to deal with by lesser means.

Ah the joys and the pains

MickT