Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

a few handbrake q's

Views : 881

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 26th, 2011, 21:15   #1
richard s

Default a few handbrake q's

last week i heard a bang when my handbrake stuck i was thinking the worst but upon inspection it wasnt the brake shoe seperating. the brakes werent in that bad a state but one side was better than the other.
the 1st thing i came across was that one disc slid off without undoing the nut on the handbrake cable. so question 1 is should the disc come off without slackening the handbrake cable.
the 2nd thing i noticed was that the shoes dont sit on the block on the side where the handbrake mech is. so question 2 is should the shoes sit on the block when the handbrake is released.
cheers
richard s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2011, 22:18   #2
italian job

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard s View Post
last week i heard a bang when my handbrake stuck i was thinking the worst but upon inspection it wasnt the brake shoe seperating. the brakes werent in that bad a state but one side was better than the other.
the 1st thing i came across was that one disc slid off without undoing the nut on the handbrake cable. so question 1 is should the disc come off without slackening the handbrake cable.
the 2nd thing i noticed was that the shoes dont sit on the block on the side where the handbrake mech is. so question 2 is should the shoes sit on the block when the handbrake is released.
cheers
Hi Richard,i have done the rear discs/pads and handbrake shoes recently,my old discs were removed without releasing all the adjustment out of the handbrake cable,the handbrake was off though(obviously i guess) is that what you meant?
There was a small gap between the block and the handbrake shoes,hope that helps you.
Cheers Paul.
italian job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2011, 22:36   #3
richard s

hi paul
with the handbrake off one disc came off but the other disc i had to undo the nut at the handbrake lever so somethings not right
and how small was the gap between the shoes and the block on yours
cheers
Old Nov 27th, 2011, 10:30   #4
italian job

It would be well worth checking that both handbrake cables are operating smoothly,one of mine was a bit sticky which was stopping the handbrake shoes from returning to the fully retracted position.I picked this up when adjusting the handbrake,one side was slightly dragging,also the disk on that side was difficult to remove again.
The gap between the aluminium block was a couple of millimeters if i remember correctly.

Paul.
Old Nov 27th, 2011, 13:27   #5
richard s

cheers paul
i will have to take it apart again and have a good poke around
Old Nov 27th, 2011, 14:19   #6
italian job

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard s View Post
cheers paul
i will have to take it apart again and have a good poke around
If its any consolation mine was 100% after i had fettled the offside handbrake cable,it was a bit of a PITA to release from inside the car as the centre console needs to be released so you can move it around to get at the end of the cable.

Paul.