Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

A Different Wishbone Bush Question......

Views : 1829

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 8th, 2014, 14:04   #1
cheshired5
Premier Member

Default A Different Wishbone Bush Question......

I have an mot advisory that my lower suspension arm rear bush is deteriorated but not allowing excessive movement (both sides)
Is the rubber an integral structural part or is it mainly to weatherproof the joint?
The rest of the wishbone is fine, so I'd like to avoid removal if possible but will do whatever's necessary to do the job right.
I'm wondering if it's possible to seal the splits with some sort of rubber compound?
Old May 8th, 2014, 14:21   #2
Brendan W
Premier Member

I have seen bushes packed with rtv and seemed to work reasonably well. Reasonable in the sense that it took a completely knackered bush to a passable state. Generally done in cases where a bolt was corroded to a captive nut in the subframe to the extent that snapping it off was a distinct possibility and the rtv is seen as the lesser of two evils.
I wish advisorys like that didn't happen. Do we expect the bush not to deteriorate? Odds on it will be the same next time. Why can't they say that will fail next time I see it but it's ok for today , just, or say nothing.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brendan W For This Useful Post:
Old May 8th, 2014, 14:43   #3
martinrpeachey
Premier Member

It'll be fine. Unless the cracks go about 5mm into the bush, it's perfectly serviceable.
Old May 8th, 2014, 15:37   #4
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinrpeachey View Post
It'll be fine. Unless the cracks go about 5mm into the bush, it's perfectly serviceable.
Thanks for the replies gents.
Martin do you mean the split is 5mm across (which I would say it is) or 5mm down into the bush?

Cheers Brendan for the RTV info as I'd never heard of it before.
There's a few delivery methods, like squeezy tubes and silicone gun type canisters.
They're only a few quid so if I fancy sprucing the bushes up, which method would be most effective?
Old May 8th, 2014, 15:45   #5
martinrpeachey
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Thanks for the replies gents.
Martin do you mean the split is 5mm across (which I would say it is) or 5mm down into the bush?

Cheers Brendan for the RTV info as I'd never heard of it before.
There's a few delivery methods, like squeezy tubes and silicone gun type canisters.
They're only a few quid so if I fancy sprucing the bushes up, which method would be most effective?
Down into the bush mate. They don't take long to show radial cracks from new, it's the nature of the bush. They very rarely fail and when they do, you'll feel them start to go. They're designed to "fail safe" so you won't have the suspension collapse.

I've changed a fair few of these bushes with OE and poly, they're not a hard job, just awkward.
Old May 8th, 2014, 15:50   #6
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinrpeachey View Post
Down into the bush mate. They don't take long to show radial cracks from new, it's the nature of the bush. They very rarely fail and when they do, you'll feel them start to go. They're designed to "fail safe" so you won't have the suspension collapse.

I've changed a fair few of these bushes with OE and poly, they're not a hard job, just awkward.
Thanks again Martin (I'm glad you popped up on this one).
The split isn't deep (1-2mm) and I must say it all feels solid, it just doesn't look very pretty.
I'll keep an eye on it and hopefully use one of your stellar write ups when it's time to re-bush
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old May 8th, 2014, 15:54   #7
Brendan W
Premier Member

I've seen it done on gearbox dog bone type parts. You would have access from one side to put a back plate and then a putty knife and fingers to pack out all the voids - can't see you escaping getting messy. To give it the best chance you would have to let it cure with the thing centred.
Can't see it making a real difference unless the bush was gone completely and even then it would be the last resort to fix it.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 15:56   #8
martinrpeachey
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks again Martin (I'm glad you popped up on this one).
The split isn't deep (1-2mm) and I must say it all feels solid, it just doesn't look very pretty.
I'll keep an eye on it and hopefully use one of your stellar write ups when it's time to re-bush
Thanks

Just been looking for a pic of my old bushes before I changed them. They had 200k on them and they had a fair bit of cracking but they were still fine. I only changed them as I offered to test a new type of bush for a well known parts retailer. The test didn't go well and I changed them again within 1000 miles lol.

Don't be tempted by the powerflex bushes when you go to renew - they work great but they're a real pig when it comes to getting the wishbone back on the car.
Old May 20th, 2014, 15:06   #9
cheshired5
Premier Member

Here's a photo of the offending bush.
It's been a few months since I saw it in the flesh so the 5mm stated above has clearly progressed.
Further comments welcome as always.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PhotoGrid_1400594729807.jpg (302.7 KB, 66 views)
Old May 20th, 2014, 15:26   #10
martinrpeachey
Premier Member

Quote:
Here's a photo of the offending bush.
It's been a few months since I saw it in the flesh so the 5mm stated above has clearly progressed.
Further comments welcome as always.
That's buggered... and not a long way from total failure.