Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Drivers seat belt rattle

Views : 1326

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 8th, 2007, 11:59   #1
Arianne
Premier Member

Default Drivers seat belt rattle

My XC90 goes in on 10th May for the fourth time as the dealer attempts to resolve the rattle to the driver's seat belt. I hope that this thread may help some other desperate souls who've had enough of being accompanied by a rattly friend in their right ear!

Symptom
A rattle / knocking noise caused when you make the slightest movement to the belt. Most clearly heard when the car is stationary at traffic lights or at low speed (below 30mph) when the ambient road noise does not drown the seat belt rattle out. Appears to come from the B-pillar where the belt dissapears into the interior trim.

Cause
We think that it is caused by a loosely fitting roller around which the belt winds. The spindle seems to move left & right whenever the belt is pulled or released and knocks against the hinges with which it's held in place. The roller is positioned high up on the B-pillar and so the noise is very close to the driver's ear. Other car I've had place the roller at floor level but not the XC90 because of the passive airbag safety system etc.

Inspection
The vertical B-pillar interior trim, for the most part, pops out. The plastic popper pins are needed for the replacement fitting so be gentle and keep them safe. At the top of the B-pillar there are two metal fixings hidden under the rubber door surround (driver and rear doors) where they meet the top of the B-pillar. Tease the rubber strips off at the top corners and then ease the metal clips off of the bodywork. You can now gain easy access to the seat belt roller etc.

Solution
Hmm. More difficult this one. Other web sites have suggested lubrication - even baby powder. I don't think any of this will work. I think replacement is the only option and a hope that the problem will not return over time with wear. Since only a few XC90 owners have mentioned this problem I'm hoping that my dealer's replacement seat belt system will result in a long-term fix.

All the best and I hope this helps.

Any comments from other affected owners will be appreciated.

Arianne.
Arianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2007, 12:10   #2
GSMGuy
Master Member

I noticed this within 10 mins of picking our XC90 up - and boy is it irritating, even with the music on, I seem to think it's the actual webbing where it passes out through the plastic trim? But you are right about the slightest movement!

Mike
GSMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 19:10   #3
Multiplex

Do not under any circumstances use any form of lubrication on the seat belts.

The noise you are hearing is caused by the trim panels where the seat belt passes through into the B post.

Some drivers will never notice this due to different heights/seat positions and this makes it difficult for the technician to diagnose as they will use a different seat position/height to the driver.

There are modified panels available to prevent the noise, speak to your local Volvo dealer.

Last edited by Multiplex; May 22nd, 2007 at 19:13.
Multiplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2007, 15:31   #4
GSMGuy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiplex View Post
Do not under any circumstances use any form of lubrication on the seat belts.

The noise you are hearing is caused by the trim panels where the seat belt passes through into the B post.

Some drivers will never notice this due to different heights/seat positions and this makes it difficult for the technician to diagnose as they will use a different seat position/height to the driver.

There are modified panels available to prevent the noise, speak to your local Volvo dealer.

Surely the belt rubbing on the panel is a safety issue?? ie potential wear/fraying to the belt?

Mike
GSMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote