Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Which roof box?

Views : 1037

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 17th, 2007, 15:37   #1
stevefleming

Default Which roof box?

I need a big roof box for the XC90.

Choice seems to be down to Halfords, Thule or Volvo, in ascending price order.

I'm inclined to go Thule, the 450l job.

Have any of you guys tried any of the above models? Any recommendations or ones I should avoid?

Any advice would be much appreciated.
stevefleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 19:28   #2
s60 & xc90

Steve

If you have a towbar, may be worth looking at a Thule Easybase, which does the same as a roofbox only on the back of the car. If you google "Thule Easybase' a load will come up, I think you can get the whole thing for £300.

Shouldn't affect the mpg as much as a roofbox does.

RM
s60 & xc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 10:04   #3
Genghis
Genghis

Hi Steve

I usually go to the South of France for holidays and hired a roof box. I got the Thule Atlantic 780 which holds 480 litres. It was very impressive so I went and purchased one. I have had no problems with it and it's big enough for me (have two kids and we go Eurocamping so tend to take a lot of stuff down with us). For all the bits and peices it's not the cheapest option (roof bars and the foot pack but if you use it quite a bit then it's works out OK. The other roof box I looked at was the X1 (holds 450) but it was brand new out and cost too much for me. That looks quite nice (in my opinion).

Thule do good stuff, I have seen a few cars with the Halfords box on (think it's called Exodus or something like that) - it looks quite fancy but not that big (could be wrong though). I didn't bother with the Volvo one - it wasn't that big and too expensive for what it was.

Things to look for - dual opening is extremely useful and makes loading/unloading a lot easier - a must have - also if you don't have side bars then it will be pretty essential. That's about it really.

Just a word of warning on the Easybase. If you have a towbar then it is probably a cheaper option but if it will be fitted to the car permanetly for your holiday then an XC90 is big enough for parking etc., without adding to the back of it!!!! - however if you use it whilst getting from A to B and can then remove it for your everyday driving around then it could be a good option - I am unsure of their loading capacity.

Hope this helps

Jamie
Genghis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 13:14   #4
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genghis View Post
Hi Steve

Just a word of warning on the Easybase. If you have a towbar then it is probably a cheaper option but if it will be fitted to the car permanetly for your holiday then an XC90 is big enough for parking etc., without adding to the back of it!!!! - however if you use it whilst getting from A to B and can then remove it for your everyday driving around then it could be a good option - I am unsure of their loading capacity.

Hope this helps

Jamie
420 ltr.
RoyMacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote