Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Where Can I Buy the Right Castrol Oil?

Views : 2223

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 31st, 2007, 21:49   #1
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Default Where Can I Buy the Right Castrol Oil?

OK...Having gone to the trouble to find out the original oil that my XC90 D5 came with, and has been used by the supplying dealer for oil changes. When I went into my local Croydon Volvo Dealer to buy a top up litre (just in case) I was told they have a deal with Shell/Esso and they only use Mobil 1 so that's all they could sell me!

I pointed out that the extended service interval requires the Castrol Professional Longtech for Volvo cars A5/B5 0W-30 (Yes that really is what it's called.) The parts guy said he would tell the service dept. Aren't they supposed to be the experts?

So I rang Volvo and asked the customer support where I could buy the slippery stuff but they had a computer problem so "sorry no we can't"!

Anyone know who has the stuff in stock and would send it by post, or something, unless they are not too far from Croydon?
RoyMacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 10:48   #2
4 forty
VOC Member

Default castrol suppliers

here is the official castrol suppliers listing.

http://www.multimap.com/clients/cont..._uk&page=index

paul
4 forty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 12:21   #3
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 forty View Post
here is the official castrol suppliers listing.

http://www.multimap.com/clients/cont..._uk&page=index

paul
If only it was that easy Paul.......The oil is only available from Volvo (not in the shops)that I know, but which dealers, is what I don't?
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 13:13   #4
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Volvo just sent me this and my local dealer confirms it is a litre of 0W-30... £17 odd but if it's the right stuff....

Dear Mr MacDonald,

Thank you for your recent contact firstly let me apologise for the delay in our response.

I can confirm that I have contacted our Technical Manager who has advised
we do an oil to that specification but it comes in Volvo branded containers. The part number for this is 1161711, which you would need to supply a Volvo dealership with.

If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact us.

Med vänliga hälsningar / With Kind Regards

Debbie Sunner
Customer Relations
Volvo Car UK Limited
Telephone - 08457 564636
Volvo Car UK Limited
REGISTERED OFFICE Globe Park, Marlow, Buckinghamshire, SL7 1YQ
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND & WALES No 02281044
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 20:56   #5
jezza5986

Have a look on ebay for a company for Opie Oils. Used them after getting loads of recommendations and they are spot on!

Jezza
jezza5986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 21:01   #6
Viper_7
Premier Member

you obviously don't have to use exactly the same oil - yes many dealers now have deals with oil suppliers to provide an oil with their own branding. It's no different than other oils of the same specification other than the dealer doesn't make as much money.

Vipes
Mods:
Volvo Tax disc holder - increases power output by 5%
Child Seat
Rear and side Volvo fitted blinds.
Tree Sap from May - July.
Removed at least 46 cup holders for weight reduction.
Viper_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 22:10   #7
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper_7 View Post
you obviously don't have to use exactly the same oil - yes many dealers now have deals with oil suppliers to provide an oil with their own branding. It's no different than other oils of the same specification other than the dealer doesn't make as much money.

Vipes
The whole point is I want to use the same oil as Volvo used originally and the suppling dealer has continued to use. Not sure what you mean about branding. It's finding the correct spec for the XC90 that's been the problem ACEA A1/B1 A5/B5 Castrol only make that spec for Volvo. If your dealer is using any other spec, oil it's not suitable for the euro 4 D5 extended service regime.

My local dealer is using Mobil so they won't be touching my car!

Just try getting a VW dealer to use the wrong oil.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 22:42   #8
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezza5986 View Post
Have a look on ebay for a company for Opie Oils. Used them after getting loads of recommendations and they are spot on!

Jezza
Thanks Jezza....I didn't find them on ebay, but found their web site OK, seem a good company. They do have one oil that meets the spec. by ***hs. Sorry the stupid sensore program obviously dosn't like German names. How un P.C.

I already knew Millars did one, and you can order all their stuff direct from them on line as well. But because Volvo had said use a specific oil I felt they should let me by it from them.

If you read all the Castrol tech sheets on the SLX Longtec you'll see they are all subtly different for each manufacurer.

Seeing as I paid for end product of a lot of carefull research by Volvo I don't see the sense in ignoring it all and not following their maintaince instructions.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 22:54   #9
Viper_7
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
The whole point is I want to use the same oil as Volvo used originally and the suppling dealer has continued to use. Not sure what you mean about branding. It's finding the correct spec for the XC90 that's been the problem ACEA A1/B1 A5/B5 Castrol only make that spec for Volvo. If your dealer is using any other spec, oil it's not suitable for the euro 4 D5 extended service regime.

My local dealer is using Mobil so they won't be touching my car!

Just try getting a VW dealer to use the wrong oil.
You have fallen for the marketing. You can get the same spec oil for half the price off the shelf. It won't be Volvo Branded but it will be the same stuff without the price tag.

for example - the last 3 services I have had done at Volvo - the oil they recommend has been different each time - basically oil that is fine for the engine but at the best price from the supplier for them to get the best mark-up.

Vipes
Mods:
Volvo Tax disc holder - increases power output by 5%
Child Seat
Rear and side Volvo fitted blinds.
Tree Sap from May - July.
Removed at least 46 cup holders for weight reduction.

Last edited by Viper_7; Jun 5th, 2007 at 22:58.
Viper_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 23:04   #10
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper_7 View Post
You have fallen for the marketing. You can get the same spec oil for half the price off the shelf. It won't be Volvo Branded but it will be the same stuff without the price tag.

Vipes
Whose marketing VW's, Volvo's Castrol's Millar's, the German company the forum won't name?

I have been getting a lot of PM's from several Volvo owners within the oil industry about different oils and I'm more than convinced that not all oils are the same. The spec nos. do actually mean something.

I should probably say this thread is really an extension of MPG not what it says on the tin as I thought that was getting too long but there is some more info on oils and fuel in there if you don't mind a long read.

Last edited by RoyMacDonald; Jun 5th, 2007 at 23:10. Reason: Additional info