Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 Basics - Core Improvements - Recommendations

Views : 954

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 17th, 2019, 11:34   #1
vorticity

Default V70 Basics - Core Improvements - Recommendations

So, after a week's ownership of a 2014 V70 D4 which turned out to be burning oil like made, I went back to my 2005 V70 D5 Euro III with 136k on it.

The money that I was planning on spending on the 2014, I am now thinking of putting on the 2005 and getting it back to a nice condition.

I've serviced it every 9000 miles since 2015, it's had a new IC, new disks/pads, new front control arms. It doesn't smoke, it pulls great and I can get 50 mpg on long runs no matter how heavily laden, even with a roof box.

The HU850 can't do CDs and the radio has terrible reception. The auto wiper function doesn't work because a new windscreen got fitted without the right sealant glue stuff.

The paintwork is 14 years old and looks it. There are two rips in the headlining and some of the door seals are not as tight as they could be.

I now believe the clutch is starting to slip a little and the OSF drive shaft is apparently seized on the brake disks.

But, I am fond of it. There are few other cars that I feel can do so much and that don't have a DPF. The brief foray with the 2014 V70 was prompted by the crazy low price on it. But that turned out to be a bad idea, so I gave it back.

Given all that is possibly wrong with it, I am open to opinions on whether to plough money into:

Fixing the mechanicals (clutch (quoted £610 fitted), driveshaft)
Upgrading the suspension (new shocks (£230 for set) (Sachs or B4) lowered springs (£225))
Remap
Paintwork touch up and polish
Source new door seals
Replace windscreen again and seal properly
Source new HU850

So, what do people think. Is a 14 year old V70 D5 a future classic that's worth maintaining or am I foolish, even for people who like Volvos?

As a bit more context, I have three kids in car seats, occasionally carry stuff to the tip and do holidays on the continent. Plus, commute daily 20 miles round trip.

Last edited by vorticity; Sep 17th, 2019 at 12:39.
vorticity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2019, 14:27   #2
ma70
Curmudgeon with a turbo

I'd say if you get on well with the car and know it to have a good maintenance history then it's well worth getting up to snuff. 136k is nothing for a Euro III P2 car, plenty already over 200k and at least 2 with over half a million on the clock ('04 V70 on 663k and '01 S80 on 713k on the official register).

Our own ex-private hire S80 drives & looks like a 100k car with double that & I fully expect (accidents/acts of God aside) to see it over the 500k myself. Not sure about future classic, but I think it stands a good chance as IMO the Euro III cars were the best & most durable mix of old school quality and new technology, not to mention refined comfortable and pleasant cars to drive.

Last edited by ma70; Sep 17th, 2019 at 14:29.
ma70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2019, 20:53   #3
stegreg
VOC Member

I agree, sometimes its "better the devil you know", as you know the v70's history, ok so it needs some love and attention, so id get the stuff done that's gonna keep it mobile first....then as you're still able to drive it around, then prioritise the other items in a scale of worst to "niggly" then lower list of "new toys" for last. I would not replace whats still working [toys] till they too fail. Just so it keeps the costs inline with pocket.

TBH ive just bought a V70 recently, 2002 plate awd with touring pack, auto,factory phone factory sat nav and full leather with 2 elec seats for just £800 with 165k on the clock......but the colour sold me....pearl red. only thing I do loath are the 17in alloys, talk about harsh ride !! oh and no turning circle either. ha ha
stegreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2019, 23:36   #4
sv70

I think you have answered your own question,in particular your last sentence in it does all the things you require and well.What would you get for it if you sold it with a slipping clutch-around the £800 mark,if lucky,so put that together with the approx £1000 your'e planing to spend on the clutch and shocks and youve got £1800 to get another hopefully better V70,quite a few about at that price and on the face of it could look nicer than yours at present,but problem is there could be a host of issues that rear their ugly head,weeks or months after you purchase and could well be spending another £1800 to sort the issues out,i agree-better the devil you know-it runs great,you've had money spent on it in the right areas,so a clutch done on it and that is one of the big ticket costs out of the way,other bits and pieces can be done on a as and when basis.Also depends on how much time the slipping clutch gives you- maybe enough time to start looking for a genuine well kept V70 for that price but luck would have to be on your side,good luck either way though.
sv70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2019, 10:37   #5
vorticity

I really appreciate everyone's honest comments here. It is good to hear from other owners.

Reflecting on what I've done on the car since 2015, it is very true that I know the car well and that a lot of work has been done on things that are known to fail. Buying another one would not necessarily get me anything where all of that had been done.

So I'm going to start pricing my mini restoration project and start, as you've all said, with the basics. Get the core of the car right and work outwards till all the niggles are sorted.

The order in my head goes:

-------Phase 1-------------
Driver seat foam cushion replaced
Control arms (IPD)
Ball joints (IPD)
Engine mounts (OE, not polybushed)
Drop links (Meyle HD or IPD)
Shocks and top mounts (B4)
Springs (Eibach Pro if load carrying not overly compromised)

Clutch (if needs doing - might be that I have no idea what a failing clutch feels like)

Door and body seals

------Phase 2-----------

New stereo + GROM
New windscreen (auto wipers)
Full polish, paint touch up

------May never get here---------

Remap
Rear anti roll bar upgrade
Rear spoiler addition
Old Sep 18th, 2019, 16:10   #6
vorticity

Talking of nice ones for sale:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F352793764519

Edit: the MOT test for this year is worrying

Last edited by vorticity; Sep 18th, 2019 at 16:36.
vorticity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2019, 20:14   #7
davebb
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorticity View Post
I really appreciate everyone's honest comments here. It is good to hear from other owners.

Reflecting on what I've done on the car since 2015, it is very true that I know the car well and that a lot of work has been done on things that are known to fail. Buying another one would not necessarily get me anything where all of that had been done.

So I'm going to start pricing my mini restoration project and start, as you've all said, with the basics. Get the core of the car right and work outwards till all the niggles are sorted.

The order in my head goes:

-------Phase 1-------------
Driver seat foam cushion replaced
Control arms (IPD)
Ball joints (IPD)
Engine mounts (OE, not polybushed)
Drop links (Meyle HD or IPD)
Shocks and top mounts (B4)
Springs (Eibach Pro if load carrying not overly compromised)

Clutch (if needs doing - might be that I have no idea what a failing clutch feels like)

Door and body seals

------Phase 2-----------

New stereo + GROM
New windscreen (auto wipers)
Full polish, paint touch up

------May never get here---------

Remap
Rear anti roll bar upgrade
Rear spoiler addition
Control arms (IPD)
Hi if you look at different forums the ipd arms are not very good so a lot of ex users say,
go for std Volvo ones or polly bush with powerflex .
Dave
davebb is offline   Reply With Quote