Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Brake upgrage question.

Views : 725

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 17th, 2009, 19:48   #1
T5 GAV
Is the bestest.

Default Brake upgrage question.

I have just bought a 1997 s70 t5 and was surprised to find that it has such small brakes. The discs were warped so i replaced them a week ago along with the flexi hoses but i almost soiled myself when i tried to stop from fairly high speeds today, it just didn't stop as well as i thought it should.
Does the upgrade to 302mm discs give any real improved stoping power? and where do i find the carriers, i can't seem to find any online. What models do they fit as standard, so i can ask at the stealers?

Cheers.
T5 GAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 20:09   #2
thealchemyst
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5 GAV View Post
I have just bought a 1997 s70 t5 and was surprised to find that it has such small brakes. The discs were warped so i replaced them a week ago along with the flexi hoses but i almost soiled myself when i tried to stop from fairly high speeds today, it just didn't stop as well as i thought it should.
Does the upgrade to 302mm discs give any real improved stoping power? and where do i find the carriers, i can't seem to find any online. What models do they fit as standard, so i can ask at the stealers?

Cheers.
my 850 t5 seems to suffer the same problem so i upgraded to 302mm brakes (grooved and drilled) and omp pads still not upto much in my opinion especially from high speeds 100+ , goes alot better then it stops!
parts for volvos sell the carriers new on an exchange basis with your 280mm carriers easy bolt-on job (did it in my lunch break)
am currently making a big brake upgrade based on 336mm discs and evo viii calipers, that should stop it! ;0)

Last edited by thealchemyst; Jun 17th, 2009 at 20:13.
thealchemyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 20:16   #3
Georgey dee
Premier Member

If you want to stop go Brembo. I never got mine to fade. They just keep going. I was well impressed.
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 20:34   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

800 Large Brake Mod Parts
850 Large discs 272276 300 mm
Caliper L/H 8602344
Caliper R/H 8602345
2 x Caliper Brackets 8602456
2 x Hoses 9191400
Note : Caliper comes with brackets !

The larger brakes have a bit more pace and the pads will last longer if you drive as you do now ... However neither brake can cope with more than one heavy stop from 150 mph ...
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 22:41   #5
T5 GAV
Is the bestest.

Thanks for your input guys, it looks like i'd best stick to what i've got until i can afford a proper big brake kit then.
T5 GAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 23:05   #6
strbryan
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5 GAV View Post
Thanks for your input guys, it looks like i'd best stick to what i've got until i can afford a proper big brake kit then.
Just buy some good pads like carbotech XP8's but not cheap mind

I would also recommend you stay clear of the drilled/grooved rubbish and stick with genuine Volvo disc's
http://www.carbotech-europe.com/applications.htm
strbryan is offline   Reply With Quote