Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What I did today thread...

Views : 321732

Replies : 3011

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 14th, 2013, 18:46   #121
ShadeTek
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liberalis View Post
Today I was mostly swearing....

A new turbo control valve as the old one was making a right row. Also I changed the brake servo as it was hissing like rather annoyed snake, which was fun to do :-)
How big a job was the brake servo to replace? Did it come out easy?

V70 SE NAV 1.6 D2 2015MY POWERSHIFT, D4162T, 86000miles, RED.
/VOL FCR/PEPER OBD2/Acron 9135 OBD2/L.E.D Flasher/VDASH/ANCEL BA301
ShadeTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2013, 18:54   #122
ShadeTek
Premier Member

Thumbs up Birds

I had a chirpy chirpy squeak squeak from the rear near-side which on closer inspection was the exhaust hanger which had rotted off and was scraping against the tailpipe on road bumps. I have ordered a new bolt-on hanger on eBay (and a fuel filter while I was at it as it looked original with the tape still around the quick release fittings), at the same time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hanger.jpg (106.4 KB, 18 views)

Old Jul 14th, 2013, 19:14   #123
Rutz

Changed the rear shoes, pads & disks. Shoes look like the originals, the nearside retaining springs had both broken and were rattling around inside the disk.
Rutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2013, 22:58   #124
liberalis
Kris

ShadeTek, Wasn't easy mate, had to lower subframe to allow enough room to pull it out. I'm lucky to have a few 2 and 4 post ramps allowing plenty of space. Hardest part for me was finding an angle to get my body into to under the 4 nuts up inside the footwell.

If it helps, here's the reason for changing.
liberalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2013, 23:02   #125
liberalis
Kris

Oh, forgot to add, today I changed my fuel filler hinge thing, and changed the wheels for a set of Orpheus's which i got for £50
liberalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2013, 15:10   #126
Norfolk Jim
Norfolk Jim

Washed my car first thing - looked the dogs dangly bits...................then some bar steward 2 doors down decided today was day to demolish their bungalow!!!!!!

bar steward x 100...................car was black and is now white from building dust.

I was incensed and called HSE who within a couple of hours had shut the site for no site fencing, no warning signs, no scaffolding, no hard hats, no misting system to keep dust down and an enforcement notice for all to be in place before anyone continues work. Its good to be in right profession and know who to call!!!!! Oh yeh and a black mark against the company...........
Norfolk Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Norfolk Jim For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 17th, 2013, 19:39   #127
ShadeTek
Premier Member

Exclamation

Today I replaced my rear box. I thought it was going to be a 1 hour job but it turned into a minor hell. I cut the old box off, I couldn't get the grinder behind it so had to hacksaw the final part off which took 10 minutes of uphill hacksawing. I then attached new box but it was hitting the heat shield above and to the side of the box. Shortened the pipe half an inch but now the lower box was hitting the shield. Took the shield off and battered it with a hammer to create a cavity in it. The heat shield's plastic fasteners both stripped and the other two were rusted away. Sorted all that out and made some packers for the final rear rubber mount to pull the exhaust away form the shield. Went for a spin and no rattling or banging. Coupled with two massive downpours it was an 'orrible 4 hour job. The box came from eBay for £90 in the worst packing I have ever seen. It was just a clear poly bag! It had a couple of dents in it but it works ok so far with no annoying resonant frequencies . The MOT is looming and the car will need a further once over....when my body recovers.

Old Aug 17th, 2013, 20:03   #128
Kevin_L

oh!! well in that case I changed my auxiliary belt tensioner - a relatively easy and easier when you know how job!!

and changed alternator 2 days ago.....as above, easier when it's been done once

and......I even managed to get sat nav to work after battery disconnect (for alternator change) after it came up 'cannot read disc'

and.....a few weeks ago changed both front bottom ball joints.......

well other than servicing and an oxygen sensor it's been the only work required in 3 years!!
Kevin_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2013, 20:24   #129
ShadeTek
Premier Member

MOT is looming in a month or so and now is the time to start going over the car to check stuff out. I took each caliper off and cleaned up and greased the pads, slide pins and wire brushed the whole lot down.. One thing I found was that, and I noticed this a year ago when I was removing the rear pads, the outer pad was seized at the lower contact point onto the caliper. Took a bit of bettering to get it off too. It all took 5 hours from start to finish.

Old Aug 25th, 2013, 22:31   #130
ShadeTek
Premier Member

I can confirm that the Ikea Hemnes Day Bed when dismantled will fit into a V70. I had to pick one up in Edinburgh and on setting off there was a horrendous noise of what sounded like rubber rubbing on something. The faster I drove the louder it got and it was so bad I pulled over into the lay-by to see what on earth it was. Having had the brakes in bits all-round the day before I suspected I had done something wrong. I looked about and couldn't see anything amiss, and realised when I took the car for a test drive the day before, there was no issue then. Ask the right questions....what was different from the day before to today. The only thing I had done was take the rear seats out and put the roof bars on. Aha haa. It was the wind howling through the roof bars....panic over.