Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What I did today thread...

Views : 325606

Replies : 3020

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 17th, 2012, 19:30   #51
ShadeTek
Premier Member

It stopped raining, woohoo, took the plug cover off and took out the fangled new all in one ignition coil pack, check for cracked wiring and then took a spark plug out to have a look at it to see of it was needing replaced. Then cleaned the dashboard and then decided to diagnose the faulty external air temp sensor. Took the door card off, only broke 2 rivets, and did a cold impednce check back up to the sensor. At 20°C it should have been 2.5k (I think) but mine was reading 4.1K so it looks like it was at fault and I have condemned it. I heated it up with a lamp and it would only go as low as 3.0K (should have been lower), too. I also cleaned the connector on the brake pedal angle sensor at the brake vaccum as it is throwing a code every couple of weeks and killing my cruise control. Adjusted my handbrake cable and then went for a test spin.

V70 SE NAV 1.6 D2 2015MY POWERSHIFT, D4162T, 93000miles, RED.
/VOL FCR/PEPER OBD2/Acron 9135 OBD2/L.E.D Flasher/VDASH/ANCEL BA301/Topdon Top Scan
ShadeTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2012, 20:02   #52
richard s

had my kids bring me my fathers day present of toblerone and nivea after shave balm when i woke up. we then had a drive to my parents for an hour and when we got home i spent ages trying to upload some photos from my phone (which used to work) to eventually get them to sync together and have my phone then refuse to upload the images as it is being used as a mass storage device when plugged into the pc grrr.
carwise i checked my oil and water
richard s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2012, 09:09   #53
ShadeTek
Premier Member

Thumbs up

Well after thinking the auto rain sensor was pants, I have since changed my opinion. The reason for that is what I thought was the variable wipe timer for the rear, isn't that at alll. It's a sensitivity adjustment for the front rain sensor and if I set it two notches down from maximum, it works quite well! Which is saying something for Scottish weather.

/VOL FCR/PEPER OBD2/Acron 9135 OBD2/L.E.D Flasher/VDASH/ANCEL BA301/Topdon Top Scan
The Following User Says Thank You to ShadeTek For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 25th, 2012, 08:38   #54
PeteB1
VOC Member

I performed a rear brake overhaul - discs, pads & shoes over the weekend.

There were no unforseen problems, the discs required belting off with a small 'lump' hammer to break the bond to the hub but they then came away relatively easily. The pads were not as worn as I would have expected for 65000 miles and the shoes looked OK without any signs of the delamination so often observed. The discs were fairly rusted around the edges, as was the edge of the drum inner surface where the shoes don't contact but that's not unusual for any car I've worked on. It was not to the point where the shoes prevented removal once I'd loosened the handbrake cable.

Strictly speaking, the job didn't need doing yet but with the above mileage on a 5 year old car with original brake components with the known potential problem, I now have full peace of mind, they're all replaced. All Volvo badged and sourced components used.

The only question I have is unlike the front discs which have new caliper carrier bracket mounting bolts with them, the rear ones didn't so I ended up re-using the old ones without apparent issue. Should I now remove the caliper again to replace these carrier bolts?

Next job - front brake overhaul and cambelt/auxilliary belt + idlers etc.

Last edited by PeteB1; Jun 25th, 2012 at 08:40. Reason: Spelling
PeteB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2012, 09:34   #55
ShadeTek
Premier Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteB1 View Post
I

The only question I have is unlike the front discs which have new caliper carrier bracket mounting bolts with them, the rear ones didn't so I ended up re-using the old ones without apparent issue. Should I now remove the caliper again to replace these carrier bolts?
On my old 850 I had the originals after 17 years and they are still going somehwere.

Old Jul 1st, 2012, 23:39   #56
ShadeTek
Premier Member

Cool

I was lurking about my engine bay today to find the top engine mount was begining to crack from the front to the rear. Hello wallet.

Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 11:45   #57
bublnsqueak

Today I finished repairing the damage from a water pump / cambelt failure that took out 10 valves on a car I had only had for a month.

Dealer I bought it from, went very quiet after initially offering to help. Kept all the receipts, quotes and bills.

Lots of help from friends, local businesses and this forum.

Had a bit of trouble finishing off. Thought it was valve timing. Turned out to be 2 separate ignition faults: broken plug and a dead coil pack.

Thanks to all who chipped in!
Now what's the number for the small claims court?
Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP0607.JPG (281.7 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP0613.JPG (253.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP0618.JPG (251.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP0636.JPG (241.7 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP0642.JPG (249.3 KB, 27 views)
bublnsqueak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bublnsqueak For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 13th, 2012, 18:27   #58
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Hello, Today I drained the sump of a 2002 Audi A4 Quattro 3.0l V-6. I used my power bleeder as a transmission fluid delivery tool. I'm happy to say the fluid didn't smell the least bit burned, considering how black it was. I will not continue with my planned escalation of larger maintenance tasks with this car as it is not my vehicle and working in the owner's driveway has been clumsy at best. My ego demands I mention that I was looking forward to getting all the clamping hardware necessary for a cam belt change in this picky engine. Again, working on someone else's turf when you're feeling out a job is difficult. Kira
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2012, 21:00   #59
littonlad

Took the towbar off my V70.

It's now on eBay.....
littonlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2012, 14:44   #60
James S
DiCE DiCE baby

Did the engine oil, filter and air filter, aided by my 5 year old grandson! I've got one of those vacuum oil extractors and he supplied the pumping power! All done now, and not a drop of oil on either grandson or grandfather (and that's go to be a first).

I am hoping that he remembers enough to do the job for me next year