Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Green light on dashboard ?

Views : 5775

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 8th, 2006, 09:21   #1
mikeatvillage

Default Green light on dashboard ?

Hi, sorry if this is a faq... I forgot to look in my Haynes last night and can't find anything here by searching.

I had a green triangular light come on yesterday on the dashboard with a strange symbol. As it was green I carried on driving, got to destination, parked up for an hour then returned to the car and the light didn't come on again. Just wondering what it was and why ?

Thanks
mikeatvillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 10:29   #2
Oli
VOC Member

Was there an orange background to the green triangle, and was the strange symbol like an upside down y? If yes, then that's the symbol for Lambda, or in Volvo speak, something to do with the fuel and emmissions systems. If it's not on now though, it's likely to have been a hicough, as if there's a real problem to fix, the light tends to stay on.

Oli
Oli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 10:45   #3
ivor940
Master Member

Hi, Does the light come on with ignition and then go off with engine running? If no, the bulb could be gone. The Lambda light can come on when the engine stalls or has a low voltage event. If it does light with ign on only and stays out with engine running, it means the Fuel and Injection has no faults it can report on. Some faults do not cause lambda lamp to light, but odd running faults or fuel consumtion will advise you of them.

ivor940
ivor940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 11:49   #4
mikeatvillage

Thanks guys,

No orange background, just a green triangle, and the symbol is Lambda (I Googled). It always lights up when I turn the ignition on and goes off as soon as I start the engine. It's not coming on again so maybe it was just some sort of glitch but I'll keep an eye on it.

Mike
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 16:30   #5
ebdl
At ease!

I presume that the 440, like the 850, has an ECU that allows you to download fault codes to find out why the lambda light came on. If you're not comfortable doing this yourself, most garages have fault-code readers these days. I don't think it's a difficult thing to do yourself if you want to - have a search through this forum for posts about reading fault codes.

In my experience, when they come on and go off again shortly afterwards, this is usually a fuel trim error (i.e. the mixture's been a bit off for some reason).

Other people will know more about this than I do.

Cheers, Ed
ebdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 17:06   #6
general_joe

It sounds like it's working as it should. It will come on when you turn the key to position II (so you know it's working) but only if it stays on when the engine is running should you worry.

It highlights any problems in the fuel / exhaust system which cause emissions, basically.
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 01:40   #7
ahal
Master Member

Smile Lambda light on dash

Dear Mike,

I have the same problem with my 440. I could be setting myself up for an avalanche of contradictions, but here goes. On my car, a 1994 134,000 mile 1.8
440 xi ( which I've owned for 5 years ) this light comes on during long runs, especially if there's a strong ( against the front of car ) wind.

I do a 300 mile round trip once a week, and have been doing for 4 years in this car. Stopping off at a petrol station for a cup of coffee cures it: the 20 minutes or so break sorts it. This problem began about six months ago, and was a direct result of letting the car RUN OUT OF PETROL!!!

In my own case, I think the Catalytic converter - part of the exhaust system - is dead. Running the car completely out of juice can wreck this important ( and insanely expensive ) component. The catalytic converter is an encased ceramic honeycomb through which the exhaust fumes travel ... very delicate. It is supposed to 'trap' lead particles from the fumes before they leave the car. The Lambda sensor guages the pollutant level of exhaust fumes, and tells the engine what to do accordingly.

To the best of my knowledge ( and I'm not an expert, but I've asked a lot of q's and read up a lot on these things ) the lambda tells the engine to run leaner if the smoke coming out the exhaust is too thick, or to run less lean if the smoke is too 'thin'. The catalytic converter is supposed to have a purifying effect on the exhaust fumes, so if that is defective, the sensor light ( green thing which has an 'A' like symbol ) would stay on.

Don't be intimidated by terminology ... I remember feeling like an idiot asking people questions and being bombarded with stuff I didn't understand. It's really not rocket science at all. Basically the electronics tell the engine what to do, so if they go psycho, so does the engine.

The other member's suggestion about the fuel system sounds more accurate to your specific problem in ways, particularly the odd starting business, but I decided to add my bit as the symptoms are otherwise identical. Best of luck with your new car ( at 88k., it's only 'run in' in Volvo terms! )

Regards,

Anthony.
ahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 11:56   #8
ebdl
At ease!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahal
The catalytic converter is an encased ceramic honeycomb through which the exhaust fumes travel ... very delicate. It is supposed to 'trap' lead particles from the fumes before they leave the car.

There shouldn't be any lead in your petrol these days, especially if you're running a car with a catalytic converter that's set up to run on unleaded.

I still think your best course of action is to get the fault codes read somewhere as it should help to show where the problem is. Air leaks in the various vacuum pipes that connect to the fuel injector can bugger up the mixture - this is a common problem with 850s and easily and cheaply fixed. It results in the same symptom of the lambda light occasionally coming on while driving. In the short term I found that using decent quality petrol (Shell) helped.

Cheers, Ed
ebdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 23:56   #9
ahal
Master Member

Smile Clarification

Hi again,

The other member is right about the lead, but let's not get hair - splitty, the Catalytic converter is there to take bad things out of the smoke. Petrol quality is unlikely to make much difference: these days that's a myth in my opinion, and experience. I had used about 25 different brands over 5 years without any problems whatsoever.

It may well be something in the DISTRIBUTION of the fuel as per an earlier suggestion.

Regards,

Anthony.
ahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 09:29   #10
mikeatvillage

Thanks again,

no sign of the light coming on again :-) I don't spend much time under the bonnet (except to fill up with water all too frequently) but I'll take a look at all the hoses etc. to see if there's anything obvious and I'll look around for somewhere I can get these fault codes read. It was a particularly hot day and the car was a little short of coolant - maybe that messed things up.

ATB

Mike