Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Car completely dead

Views : 3566

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 4th, 2019, 17:58   #1
martins91

Default Car completely dead

Hello. Yet another fault. Couple days ago I left interior light on through night. Next morning car was completely dead. With jump leads started the car. Two days drove without faults. Then today I left car for 3 hours and when I came back it was again dead- couldn’t even disengage alarm, no crank no nothing. Again with leads get car going, drove back and wanted to charge the battery but couldn’t get car in garage, because it was dead again. And the glow plug relay was making cranking noise

Any ideas? Battery is couple months old
martins91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2019, 18:09   #2
andy_d
Premier Member

dead battery
unless you used the correct points to jump start it, NOT the -ve and +ve terminals of the battery you could cause all sorts of issues for the ecm units in the car.
as it has gone flat again and again, replacement battery time.
Jumping it to get the car started may have damaged a cell, there maybe a failed/faulty cell , and as it keeps going flat, that sounds more liable

If there is any warranty on the battery taking it back to where you bought it may get it replaced. if not then its hand in wallet to buy one,, and a big reminder to not leave the lights on overnight
Old Jan 4th, 2019, 18:16   #3
martins91

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
dead battery
unless you used the correct points to jump start it, NOT the -ve and +ve terminals of the battery you could cause all sorts of issues for the ecm units in the car.
as it has gone flat again and again, replacement battery time.
Jumping it to get the car started may have damaged a cell, there maybe a failed/faulty cell , and as it keeps going flat, that sounds more liable

If there is any warranty on the battery taking it back to where you bought it may get it replaced. if not then its hand in wallet to buy one,, and a big reminder to not leave the lights on overnight

Thanks.
I used + and - terminals..what’s wrong with that?
And the battery has warranty, so I could try that
Old Jan 4th, 2019, 18:53   #4
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
06 Starting and driving
Jump starting

Jump starting the vehicle
Follow these instructions to jump start your
vehicle's dead battery or to jump start another
vehicle's dead battery using your vehicle. If the
12-volt auxiliary battery to be used is in another
vehicle, check that the vehicles are not touch-
ing to prevent premature completion of a cir-
cuit. Be sure to follow jump starting instruc-
tions provided for the other vehicle.
To jump start your vehicle:
1. Switch off the ignition.
2. First connect the auxiliary battery positive
(+) terminal (1) to the positive (+) terminal in
your vehicle's battery (2), marked with a
"+" sign.
3. Connect the auxiliary battery's negative (–)
terminal (3) to the ground point in your
vehicle's engine compartment near the
driver's side spring strut (4).
4. Start the engine in the assisting vehicle,
then start the engine in the vehicle with
dead battery.
5. After the engine has started, first remove
the negative (–) terminal jumper cable.
Then remove the positive (+) terminal
jumper cable.
WARNING
PROPOSITION 65 WARNING!
Battery posts, terminals, and related acces-
sories contain lead and lead compounds,
chemicals known to the state of California
to cause cancer and reproductive harm.
Wash hands after handling.
WARNING

Do not connect the jumper cable to any
part of the fuel system or to any moving
parts. Avoid touching hot manifolds.

Batteries generate hydrogen gas, which
is flammable and explosive.

Battery fluid contains sulfuric acid. Do
not allow battery fluid to contact eyes,
skin, fabrics or painted surfaces. If con-
tact occurs, flush the affected area
immediately with water. Obtain medical
help immediately if eyes are affected.

Never expose the battery to open flame
or electric spark.

Do not smoke near the battery.

Failure to follow the instructions for
jump starting can lead to personal
injury.

Do not touch the jumper cables during
the attempt to start the vehicle. This
could cause sparks

From the owners manual (page 160)
+ve and -ve have the potential to fry ECU's and other electronic components
+ve and body earth dont
The Following User Says Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 4th, 2019, 19:11   #5
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

You don't say what car or engine type but if it's the 2.0D 4-pot, the alternators are a cheap Ford part and known for giving up the ghost between 100k and 150k miles. Sometimes they go intermittently short circuit and flatten the battery. The interior light has a timer so if you leave it on, it will turn itself off after a while and in any case a healthy battery should easily run a 10w interior light overnight and still start the car.

You would be surprised at the number of new batteries that are faulty, so I would get it checked.

When jump starting, it is best practice to attached the jump leads to the + and - battery terminals of the "donor" car and the "+" battery terminal of the dead car and an - body earth or engine earth. The reason for this is when you disconnect the - lead from the now started dead car there is no risk of igniting gases discharged from the battery. The very best practice is to attach it directly to the engine - this mitigates the small resistance voltage drop in the engine to body earth strap.

It is just best practice though and there is no risk of damaging anything electrical by connecting directly to the batter provided the polarity is correct.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 4th, 2019, 19:41   #6
martins91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
You don't say what car or engine type but if it's the 2.0D 4-pot, the alternators are a cheap Ford part and known for giving up the ghost between 100k and 150k miles. Sometimes they go intermittently short circuit and flatten the battery. The interior light has a timer so if you leave it on, it will turn itself off after a while and in any case a healthy battery should easily run a 10w interior light overnight and still start the car.

You would be surprised at the number of new batteries that are faulty, so I would get it checked.

When jump starting, it is best practice to attached the jump leads to the + and - battery terminals of the "donor" car and the "+" battery terminal of the dead car and an - body earth or engine earth. The reason for this is when you disconnect the - lead from the now started dead car there is no risk of igniting gases discharged from the battery. The very best practice is to attach it directly to the engine - this mitigates the small resistance voltage drop in the engine to body earth strap.

It is just best practice though and there is no risk of damaging anything electrical by connecting directly to the batter provided the polarity is correct.

Its 2004 2.0d.

I put battery to charge overnight, so will be looking tomorrow further
Maybe dumb question, how to tell if it’s alternotor or batteries fault?
Old Jan 4th, 2019, 19:53   #7
Montana
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martins91 View Post
Its 2004 2.0d.

I put battery to charge overnight, so will be looking tomorrow further
Maybe dumb question, how to tell if it’s alternotor or batteries fault?
Check the battery voltage when engine is off , you should see 12-12.5V, switch engine on and you should see 14V volts if the alternator is doing its job. If yes then its the battery, if not then its the alternator.

I had battery issues on mine, ended up buying a Bosch S4, hopefully it will outlast my ownership

Previous: 2006 XC90 D5 , 2008 V50 2.0D
Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Montana For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 4th, 2019, 20:17   #8
SignumGB
XC70 Owner/VOC Member

If engine is running and battery light is still on then alternator is knackered. Normally with the alternator running, then there is no voltage potential across the battery indicator lamp. If alternator doesn't generate, then it's the battery voltage which will keep the lamp illuminated.

2012 Volvo XC70 3.0L AWD T6 [CAN🍁]
2015 Volvo XC70 2.4L AWD D4 SE LUX - Sold 78,728 Miles (July 2023) [GB]
2012 Volvo XC70 2.4L AWD D3 SE LUX - Written off 76,500 Miles (Aug 2017)[GB]
SignumGB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SignumGB For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 5th, 2019, 10:08   #9
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
I have a 2.0d and have had to replace the alternator twice. One time the charge warning didn't come on.
It is a 150 a alternator and does get very hot. First time just caused the battery to go flat overnight. I recharged the battery, started the engine and the warning light went out but there wasn't enough charge to keep the battery charged.
Second time failed whilst driving, within 15 minutes more and more warning lights came on, just as I parked on the drive the power steering failed then a couple of minutes later the engine stopped.

If the alternator flattens the battery, the battery can also be damaged.
In VIDA there is a test to check the alternator. It simulates different temperatures and the output is checked against set parameters.
The car controls the alternator output agains temperature as well as the alternator controling itself.
Also check you get the correct alternator. I am fairly sure it should be the 150amp one, but check.
Iain

Last edited by IainG; Jan 5th, 2019 at 10:10.
IainG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IainG For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 5th, 2019, 23:32   #10
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainG View Post
Hi
I have a 2.0d and have had to replace the alternator twice. One time the charge warning didn't come on.
It is a 150 a alternator and does get very hot. First time just caused the battery to go flat overnight. I recharged the battery, started the engine and the warning light went out but there wasn't enough charge to keep the battery charged.
Second time failed whilst driving, within 15 minutes more and more warning lights came on, just as I parked on the drive the power steering failed then a couple of minutes later the engine stopped.

If the alternator flattens the battery, the battery can also be damaged.
In VIDA there is a test to check the alternator. It simulates different temperatures and the output is checked against set parameters.
The car controls the alternator output agains temperature as well as the alternator controling itself.
Also check you get the correct alternator. I am fairly sure it should be the 150amp one, but check.
Iain
On the V50 the electric power steering pump is a heavy load, so without charging the battery will last 15-20 mins tops.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post: