Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 wipers OEM or aftermarket?

Views : 3305

Replies : 47

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 15th, 2019, 00:33   #31
HDAV
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJudge View Post
I do use mine a lot, they do get cleaned when needed as I hate having a smeared screen & it really gives eye strain at night (where I do a lot of miles)
I think that is why I am noticing it more now....well £20 on a set from amazon delivered today been chucking it down all day, so they are in the car ready to fit if the smearing gets too much on tomorrow’s 400 mile excursion........

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJudge View Post

Best Wipers I ever had though were PIAA Silicones on my scooby. they left a coating on the screen when you used them much like rain x. The faster you drove thee less you used them.
And that officer is why I was doing xxx mph you see........
HDAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2019, 10:44   #32
marsdalebear
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
Sorry but that isn’t always correct, there are certain parts made by established manufacturers to Volvo specs that you cannot buy any other way than through the Volvo network. Those Suppliers cannot sell the same spec parts under their own name as their contract with Volvo prohibits them from doing so - Volvo are perfectly entitled to protect their intellectual property and R&D investment. Whilst it is true that sometimes the margins are higher, that’s the cost of running a dealership and supporting a computer system that knows every unique part number fitted to every car ever made.

Examples of such parts are some filters, bearings, batteries, bulbs, water pumps, starters, alternators, brake discs and pads... etc
Sorry, you are only partially correct. The rights re materials and construction and performance are not the property of Volvo ( other makes are available). It only applies where X has paid for special tooling to manufacture said part.
A simple illustration, DeLorean needed an ashtray and selected one from a supplier. This was one for the 914/916. Porsche had paid for the injection tooling for the lid so it could not be sold to them. A new tool was made for DeLorean, which changed the appearance of the lid by adding ribs. Problem solved.Porsche owned the rights to their tooling and the parts made from it. They did not own the rights to the materials and manufacturing methods used.
Parts manufactured to a specification can be sold to anyone UNLESS tooling or other costs have been paid for by X.
I could give you many more examples but it will not convince you that parts meeting Volvo specs are legally available other than via the dealers.
marsdalebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2019, 12:26   #33
Paul gill

I find Michelin wiper blades the cheapest at around £7 each
They normally last 2 years
I buy them from cost co
Paul gill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul gill For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 15th, 2019, 13:29   #34
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsdalebear View Post
Sorry, you are only partially correct. The rights re materials and construction and performance are not the property of Volvo ( other makes are available). It only applies where X has paid for special tooling to manufacture said part.
A simple illustration, DeLorean needed an ashtray and selected one from a supplier. This was one for the 914/916. Porsche had paid for the injection tooling for the lid so it could not be sold to them. A new tool was made for DeLorean, which changed the appearance of the lid by adding ribs. Problem solved.Porsche owned the rights to their tooling and the parts made from it. They did not own the rights to the materials and manufacturing methods used.
Parts manufactured to a specification can be sold to anyone UNLESS tooling or other costs have been paid for by X.
I could give you many more examples but it will not convince you that parts meeting Volvo specs are legally available other than via the dealers.
"The rights re materials and construction and performance are not the property of Volvo " - oh yes they are!

You're missing the point... take brake pads for example. The mix of ingredients to make the friction material is the intellectual property of Volvo who over many years of their own research and with partners have amassed a considerable knowledge on the topic. Volvo will instruct several manufacturers to make their brake pads using that mix - they will pay x per unit and in that contract they will specifically prohibit that manufacturer using that mix for any other product or selling the Volvo pads under any other route. Any tools or forms required are another issue - usually the cost of creating them are amortised over the contract and yes as you elude to the manufacturer will also be restricted from using that tooling for any other customer - which is exactly why brake pads from the same OEM manufacturer under their own label will not only have a different brake pad mix (likely inferior) - they might not even fit as well...

Just as Tesco or Sainsbury's own label baked beans or strawberry jam will never be exactly the same as the the independent brand in whose factory they are made...

It's not just Volvo - Many of Jaguar Land Rover brake parts come from the Teves factory in Ebbw Vale in Wales - it's the same there. You can even have bespoke colour coded brake calipers on your new Jag/Landy but you cannot buy them (or the genuine brake pads) through any other route than the dealer network.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Oct 15th, 2019 at 13:36.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2019, 14:57   #35
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Sorry but that isn’t always correct, there are certain parts made by established manufacturers to Volvo specs that you cannot buy any other way than through the Volvo network. Those Suppliers cannot sell the same spec parts under their own name as their contract with Volvo prohibits them from doing so - Volvo are perfectly entitled to protect their intellectual property and R&D investment. Whilst it is true that sometimes the margins are higher, that’s the cost of running a dealership and supporting a computer system that knows every unique part number fitted to every car ever made.

Examples of such parts are some filters, bearings, batteries, bulbs, water pumps, starters, alternators, brake discs and pads... etc
well said , that is exactly my experience over 45 years with exclusively volvo motor cars
Old Oct 15th, 2019, 18:08   #36
marsdalebear
I've Been Banned

Quote:
"The rights re materials and construction and performance are not the property of Volvo " - oh yes they are!

You're missing the point... take brake pads for example. The mix of ingredients to make the friction material is the intellectual property of Volvo who over many years of their own research and with partners have amassed a considerable knowledge on the topic. Volvo will instruct several manufacturers to make their brake pads using that mix - they will pay x per unit and in that contract they will specifically prohibit that manufacturer using that mix for any other product or selling the Volvo pads under any other route. Any tools or forms required are another issue - usually the cost of creating them are amortised over the contract and yes as you elude to the manufacturer will also be restricted from using that tooling for any other customer - which is exactly why brake pads from the same OEM manufacturer under their own label will not only have a different brake pad mix (likely inferior) - they might not even fit as well...

Just as Tesco or Sainsbury's own label baked beans or strawberry jam will never be exactly the same as the the independent brand in whose factory they are made...

It's not just Volvo - Many of Jaguar Land Rover brake parts come from the Teves factory in Ebbw Vale in Wales - it's the same there. You can even have bespoke colour coded brake calipers on your new Jag/Landy but you cannot buy them (or the genuine brake pads) through any other route than the dealer network.
Are you seriously suggesting that Volvo will develop a friction material and then tell a friction material supplier that they must use that mix? Do you not think that the friction material supplier knows a lot more about their product than Volvo? It is after all their business.
My experience of automotive brands including but not limited to Volvo is that they will issue a performance spec and drawings to several approved suppliers who will then design and offer a product to meet the spec and drawing. The product is then tested and those that meet the requirements will provide pricing and the battle with the buying department starts. Usually the best value wins the deal. Tooling is either amortised or subject to a separate purchase order.

That is how it works

Now, you have for the sake of argument, 2 suppliers deemed suitable and bidding. Supplier A wins on value which leaves supplier B with costs that he cannot recover and for which he has made tooling that he has paid for. He is quite at liberty to sell that product under his own brand as suitable for X vehicle.
A far cry from wiper blades. It is ludicrous to suggest that Volvo would design a wiper blade and tell Bosch etc to make it like that. It is stretching credulity far too far. They would ask for a blade with a performance and dimension to suit their requirements and be smart enough to let the experts do the rest.
Unless of course you believe that Volvo are the experts for every component that they use?
That is my last word on the subject as any suggestion that Volvo are not unique seems to stir up a hornets nest.
Old Oct 15th, 2019, 18:12   #37
marsdalebear
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
well said , that is exactly my experience over 45 years with exclusively volvo motor cars
Just to clarify, what is you area of experience Clan.Is it in the technical area at dealer level and I admit that you have a great depth of knowledge there . Or is it in the technical design and purchasing area in Sweden?
If it is the later then I bow to your superior experience.
Old Oct 15th, 2019, 19:13   #38
Rex65

Loving this technical discussion as I do actually work for a Tier 1 supplier into Volvo.
I know who is correct but I'm not getting involved (yet) as I'm enjoying the debate
Old Oct 15th, 2019, 19:31   #39
marsdalebear
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex65 View Post
Loving this technical discussion as I do actually work for a Tier 1 supplier into Volvo.
I know who is correct but I'm not getting involved (yet) as I'm enjoying the debate
And I come from Nuneaton
Old Oct 15th, 2019, 20:03   #40
Rex65

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsdalebear View Post
And I come from Nuneaton
I was STA for a local large OE for 20 years and the last 20 as Global Quality Director for a major Tier 1 supplier into Volvo, Ford, Porsche, BMW, VW/Audi, Skoda, Fiat and Daimler/Chrysler.
If you know the area you can guess where I've worked