Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Won't run

Views : 1377

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 16th, 2009, 16:30   #11
liuleichan
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adieu View Post
just seems like it will run for a few seconds die and then if you try and restart it straight away it just turns over. If you leave it a minute or so it will start and die again.
I've seen the same symptoms from a faulty fuel pump.
liuleichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 17:27   #12
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

Try removing the fuel pump relay and shorting the two larger connections together to bypass the relay.

This not a simple relay, the 'prime' (when you first turn the ignition on) and run conditions (once the engine is running) are different, so the relay may prime the pump but not operate in the run mode.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris_Rogers For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 19:43   #13
adieu
Master Member

ok, checked the relay, seems to be closing ok, but as you start the car it opens again. pics attached.

Is this normal, because we held it in the closed postion and the car ran fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg relay.jpg (195.6 KB, 18 views)

A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster
adieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 20:13   #14
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

The relay is faulty, repair or replace it.

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...pic.php?t=9681
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 20:27   #15
adieu
Master Member

Your all great thank youall so much for your help today.

biggest thanks to Jod and Chris.

A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 14:56   #16
adieu
Master Member

Default bugger

Ok I followed the repair guide on the link and put the relay back in the car.

Started and ran i was able to rev the car and all seemed well. sat there for about 30 secs and then died again.

Tried to start it again and I have the same problem as before. Relay closes and then flicks open again after about 2 seconds. I can hold it shut and the fuel pump runs all the time and the car will start.

Could someone just have a quick look at theirs if they get the time and let me know if thiers does

Could it be some other component on the relay that is knackered?

Old Jun 17th, 2009, 17:50   #17
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

I think I'd give up with the old relay and buy a new one. Don't think they are that expensive.

As a temporary measure you could just short the large connections on the relay base. This will run the fuel pump all the time the ignition is on.

The complication of the original relay is to stop the fuel flow in the event of the engine stopping due to a collision, it's a replacement for the old inertia switch.
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 16:12   #18
adieu
Master Member

Well she's all fixed.

New relay

Thanks again everyone.