Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 Questions

Views : 5725

Replies : 48

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 13th, 2009, 14:54   #1
gillberry
VOC Member

Default XC60 Questions

Had my heart set on an xc90 but took the other half today too look at one and she prefers the xc60 . With money saved not buying an xc90 I can fill the xc60 with toys so , volvo sat nav is it any good or is it better just to go and buy something like tomtom ? Reversing camera is it worth it ? Blind spot anybody any experience ? Front parking sensors useful ? Acc collision is it wort it ? Dyno audio system and DAB are they that much better than standard ?
All answers apreciated as if I do get the xc60 rather than the xc90 I will have to wait for mine so I might as well get everything if it really is useful .

Thanks Simon .
gillberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 18:58   #2
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillberry View Post
Had my heart set on an xc90 but took the other half today too look at one and she prefers the xc60 . With money saved not buying an xc90 I can fill the xc60 with toys so , volvo sat nav is it any good or is it better just to go and buy something like tomtom ? Reversing camera is it worth it ? Blind spot anybody any experience ? Front parking sensors useful ? Acc collision is it wort it ? Dyno audio system and DAB are they that much better than standard ?
All answers apreciated as if I do get the xc60 rather than the xc90 I will have to wait for mine so I might as well get everything if it really is useful .

Thanks Simon .
Regarding Audio Systems?
For me they are a waste of time and money. Cannot remember when I last played a CD. A good radio, is all I require.

Comm's Pack?
Very good, as long as you use common sense and do not drive into a river, or over a cliff.
Made good use of it when I had a problem, driving through France. Looked up nearest Volvo Dealership and it took me there.
I miss the in built phone, that the XC90 has, but the bluetooth system, seems to work well.

Reversing Camera?
I had two XC90's with the privicy glass and found I had to be extra careful when reversing, even with the rear parking sensors.
Opted to have the camera on the XC60 and find it a great help.

Front Parking Sensors?
More useful on the XC90 as the XC60 has more slope/drop on the bonnet.

As for the rest? I have no experiance, so cannot comment.

Best of luck.

tem.
tem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tem For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 08:04   #3
Trident

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillberry View Post

Thanks Simon .

Hi Gilbert - just got my XC60 a couple of weeks ago, it was my dealers demonstrator so has got lots of toys, the only thing missing which would be on my 'new car spec' was the front parking sensor. Its a lot bigger than my last car and the sensor would be useful to give me confidence over the length of the bonnet. I will get used to it I'm just extra cautious at the minute.
Amongst other things - I got the High Perf Audio with DAB - sounds great - imo no need for the subwoofers as it is quite bassy already - this is very adjustable thro the equilizer.
The best and most useful gadget is the adaptive cruise control - on the motorway it really means all you have to do is steer! Very relaxing.
Though very wierd when it starts breaking by itself as the cars in front slow down.
The sat nav is good too. lots of reference points like restaurants and petrol stations but no way of adding speed cameras - as there is no 'warning you are passings a point of interest' function - but this is the same on most in-built nav units.
BLIS is also really useful - I don't think the blind spots are very big but it lets you know if there is something in the blind spot - a little amer bulb lights up near the wingmirror.
Accident collision flashes up on the windscreen and beeps at me a bit to regularly, (but only once a trip say) when you head towards something metal like a parked car or the arnco on a large roundabout. But I guess some day it might save my life so its worth putting up with - and you can disable it.
Lastly Lane Departure warning - nags you if you clip the lane white lines if you havent indicated first and it sometimes beeps if you go over a bit of tarmac that looks like a line - again you can disable it too.
PCC is worth the money (part of the comms pack) when I get in with my key the seat and mirrors adjust from when my wife last used the car with here key - and vice versus for her.
Basically there is so much fun stuff to play with every journey is like an eposide of the gadjet show - and the number of times I have had to explain everything to friends and family - I could sell Volvos for a living. You will enjoy this car - comfortable, safe and fun to play with. Let us know how you get on. We need more XC60 owners on here.
Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Trident For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 13:35   #4
SKH
SKH

Hi, Gilbert. I got my XC60 D5 Se-Lux in mid Jan. The Sat Nav needs a bit of getting used to but after a recent trip to Yorkshire I found it works very effectively. Reversing camera is great for hitching up my caravan but, to be honest, not much else. As previously mentioned, the adaptive cruise control is fantastic, Blis is so-so and the LDW system can be irritating on single carriageway roads (I often turn it off). My car has the 'standard' Hi-Fi system with single CD and an AUX input for the Ipod. Personally I think it is very good although the integrated Ipod system would be nice. Had an XC90 for 3 1/2 years before and would recommend the XC60 any day.

Good luck
SKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 11:49   #5
NewVolvo
VOC Member

I am currently waiting for my XC60 D5 SE Lux to arrive in late June/early July (new MY10) and thanks to a few rental cars in Sweden (all being XC60) it was easy to make up my mind exactly what I wanted.

Except the car colour (Black Sapphire), I also went for:

Communications Pack (new updated Sat Nav by the way on MY10) with the PCC, Bluetooth etc. Sat Nav is a costly must have in my opinion.

Dynaudio (had the "old" Dolby stereo on a previous V70 and was truly fantastic). Great to have if you, like me, enjoy music in all shapes and forms.

BLIS - one rental car had this.... superb and works like charm (at least in Sweden).

Tinted Rear Windows.

Power Tailgate (really heavy - wife not so strong).

Front & Rear Parking Assist.

Just the wait now....
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 13:17   #6
XC60Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewVolvo View Post
I am currently waiting for my XC60 D5 SE Lux to arrive in late June/early July (new MY10) and thanks to a few rental cars in Sweden (all being XC60) it was easy to make up my mind exactly what I wanted.

Except the car colour (Black Sapphire), I also went for:

Communications Pack (new updated Sat Nav by the way on MY10) with the PCC, Bluetooth etc. Sat Nav is a costly must have in my opinion.

Dynaudio (had the "old" Dolby stereo on a previous V70 and was truly fantastic). Great to have if you, like me, enjoy music in all shapes and forms.

BLIS - one rental car had this.... superb and works like charm (at least in Sweden).

Tinted Rear Windows.

Power Tailgate (really heavy - wife not so strong).

Front & Rear Parking Assist.

Just the wait now....
The power-free tailgate is easy to open (even for the wife) ;-)
XC60Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC60Owner For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 13:34   #7
NewVolvo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC60Owner View Post
The power-free tailgate is easy to open (even for the wife) ;-)

We tried it on 3 different cars and to open - easy. To close - not so easy. Really heavy....
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 14:11   #8
XC60Owner

Quote:
We tried it on 3 different cars and to open - easy. To close - not so easy. Really heavy....
That's strange, ours is no problem at all. My wife is pretty petite and she has never had any issue. We do need to give it a bit of a slam to shut properly as opposed to a soft click but it really is no issue at all. but I am sure the power one will be lovely plus you can open from the remote I think which is v. cool? I got one of the first cars and they removed the power tailgate from the SE Lux spec last minute and it wasn't available as an option for a few months due to a 'design issue'. I was disapointed but in retrospect am happier with the cash (I got a price reduction) but am sure it is a useful thing to have.
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 14:54   #9
NewVolvo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC60Owner View Post
That's strange, ours is no problem at all. My wife is pretty petite and she has never had any issue. We do need to give it a bit of a slam to shut properly as opposed to a soft click but it really is no issue at all. but I am sure the power one will be lovely plus you can open from the remote I think which is v. cool? I got one of the first cars and they removed the power tailgate from the SE Lux spec last minute and it wasn't available as an option for a few months due to a 'design issue'. I was disapointed but in retrospect am happier with the cash (I got a price reduction) but am sure it is a useful thing to have.
Re opening the boot from remote - no idea. But sure would be cool & very good indeed.
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 16:06   #10
XC60Owner

Quote:
Re opening the boot from remote - no idea. But sure would be cool & very good indeed.
There is a boot unlock button on the remote. I *think* I remember reading in the manual that when you have the power tailgate pressing it opens the boot (i.e. powers it fully open as opposed to unlock), might be wrong on that though.