Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Shudder when pulling away

Views : 586

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 13th, 2017, 23:52   #1
TomTom
Master Member

Default Shudder when pulling away

I'm just going to put this problem out there because a couple of my mechanics have tried to chase it and not found it, and maybe one of you guys has experienced it.

There is a shudder-type vibration which I can feel when pulling away, most noticeable from stopped when pulling away in 1st, but also from 1st to 2nd. You can feel it more when the car is more laden. So for example I will be stoppped at traffic-light, into 1st, up with the clutch, then the shuddering happens for about 1 second at the beginning of pulling away.

One mechanic said propshaft or other UJs and changed them, but no difference. Another thought oil getting to the clutch, but no, it's fine.

A real head scratcher for me.

Thanks.

Tom
TomTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2017, 00:00   #2
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

Hi ya.

Try prop shaft rubber mount and also gearbox mount they get soft with age or oil on them So have a slight whip effect going on .
Also I know this sounds daft but try inspecting the rear axle had it before the woodruff key can wear badly with age and past miss use so can kick inside the drum also seen at times missing ones can slip badly !

Keep us posted

Kind regards
Robert.w

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !
123GT-AMAZON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2017, 00:25   #3
dingov70
Master Member

Check engine mounts , followed by gearbox mount . If its a two piece prop shaft , make sure the centre support is not worn away allowing the shaft to move around in the carrier . Then check UJ's carefully for side to side movement .
Old Sep 14th, 2017, 15:26   #4
arcturus
arcturus

Check this thread
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=270987
Old Sep 14th, 2017, 21:43   #5
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Tom;

As others have mentioned, a worn Driveshaft Center Support, which allows excessive movement will cause this. Earlier (two donut) version, especially when outfitted with the whimpier replacement donuts are more susceptible to this. To check, grab Driveshaft and give it a healthy tug in various directions...it is undesirable for it to audibly hit anything solid with a clunk, the forces applied when drivetrain is loaded are even more substantial.

Good Hunting
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2017, 09:51   #6
dcthompson

I'm with Ron. Check the most obvious (and cheapest) source first. Next after that is the universal joints, which are similarly likely culprits. My best guess? It's time to replace the u-joints and carrier bearing support all at once, for another 100,000 trouble-free miles. Total investment? Less than 50 pounds.
dcthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dcthompson For This Useful Post: