Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Colours - contentious issue of the day

Views : 4389

Replies : 46

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 18th, 2018, 07:29   #31
karlak

Well..

When we went to look at the XC90, I was convinced I would have liked a lighter colour, Silver or the Bursting Blue. However, seeing the XC90 in the flesh in our minds just didn't suit the lighter shades. We opted for the boring Savile Grey, but sitting here looking at it out the drive, nice and clean with the Sun shining off it, it looks pretty awesome in my opinion. Ultimately, it was my wifes choice anyway as it is her car.

I know it will need some washing and maintaining, but when the first wash is due, it will get the Gtechniq paint treatment which should offer some protection and easier washing down the line.

I think the model of car makes a huge difference to what suits. Having seen the XC90 in Bursting Blue it is certainly a statement and looks very imposing, but then does it drop into the BMW X5 territory and look a bit too posey foe some ?

Very personal reasons why people choose a colour, I am normally a bit more conservative, but then my Son has just bought a Clio RS 220 Trophy in YELLOW, hmmm I thought when I went to look at it with him, but omg what a gorgeous colour, it is one of the multi-paint treatments that over the course of a day, changes it shade and appearance depending on the sun and light angle.

I think the biggest niggle for me is the cost of Metallic, it should be standard, unless a special is chosen. I mean ffs, VW have even taken to charging for Solid White and Solid Red,, what is all that about ?

G Reg 240 GL Estate automatic.
karlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2018, 08:40   #32
canis
Non Fragile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB-UK View Post
Which is why I am hoping someone could set up a poll, with an additional question about the choice of colour being related to a private v company purchase.
There already is one. https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...ht=colour+poll

Predictably grey wins. Personally I think grey (oh alright then, "silver", except it isn't really. Silver has no colour. What you've got there is metallic grey.) looks the filthiest of all the colours. The way the door contours towards the sills exactly matches road dirt. Nice.

I don't care what anyone says. White is the tidiest colour of all. This stuff about white "showing up the dirt" might apply to carpets, but not to paint. It's why commerical vehicles are almost always white. It hides dents, scratches, and any dirt looks far better on a white car than any other. The worst colour for dirt is black, of course.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2018, 14:17   #33
Deman77
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canis View Post

Predictably grey wins. Personally I think grey (oh alright then, "silver", except it isn't really. Silver has no colour. What you've got there is metallic grey.) looks the filthiest of all the colours. The way the door contours towards the sills exactly matches road dirt. Nice.

I don't care what anyone says. White is the tidiest colour of all. This stuff about white "showing up the dirt" might apply to carpets, but not to paint. It's why commerical vehicles are almost always white. It hides dents, scratches, and any dirt looks far better on a white car than any other. The worst colour for dirt is black, of course.

Surprised - had solid black for 5 years followed by pearl white for 4 and felt a lot more compelled to clean dirty white than dirty black.
White is indeed good to hide scratches and dents or cheap repair jobs (hence commercial vehicles) because it’s washed out as a clipped highlight by limited dynamic range of human eye in the daylight (the eye adjusts to see in the shadows better where predators historically hide so white is just a bright spot). The problem with this feature is that it also washes out all the detail - so the car is just a block. I disagree it looks ok in dirt (just look at commercial vehicles ignoring how they drive). Solid white is the worst - with pearl managing to get away with dust but not the dirt. The white xc90 in my kid’s school car park never looks clean, looks oversized with washed out details. What’s worse solid white does not wear dust well either when just about any other colour is fine with dust as long as it’s not smeared. Silver is by far the most forgiving of dirt followed by some light greys imop.
Light xc90s look ok with inscription bright chrome detail to me but momentum or R-design has to be dark.
The Following User Says Thank You to Deman77 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 18th, 2018, 15:37   #34
isleaiw
Master Member

Quote:

And that is why it is personal. I wont have white - its what commercial vehicles are....

I wont have black either - swirls and scratches....

Each to their own
isleaiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2018, 16:49   #35
AB-UK
Premier Member

Quote:
This poll asks what colour your existing car is.

I'd like a new poll which tells Volvo what colours we (as owners) would LIKE to see our cars in - to have OUR choice of colours, not the choice of some numpty at Volvo who thinks 4 (possibly 5) different shades of grey (and excluding silver which is yet another shade of grey) is a good idea for one particular model of Volvo currently new to the market.
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AB-UK For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 18th, 2018, 18:46   #36
EYEBALL119

Went for the Bursting Blue on my (on order) XC60, it is replacing my GREY Discovery Sport.
EYEBALL119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2018, 19:30   #37
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Mine is permanently in my bespoke choice of colour. Called "M18 Grime".........

The colour underneath doesnt really matter......
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Philip Fisher For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 18th, 2018, 23:32   #38
OV4

The limited colour choices on new Volvos (and other marques too) is disappointing. Great choice if you want white, black, or white mixed with black (a.k.a. grey), but other colours? Not so much.

I went for Mussel Blue on my XC60. There’s still grey in it, undeniably, but at least I don’t look at it and think “oh, goody, another black / white car like nearly every other one on the street”. Someone living nearby has a canary-yellow 05-plate Jazz and honestly, the sight of it cheers my heart.
OV4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2018, 00:22   #39
molsal

I would have chosen bursting blue, I've seen one in the flesh on a dull winters day in Wensleydale, it looked awesome, the colour really popping on a horrid day. Sadly it's only available on the R design, and not the inscription. So ended up with denim blue, which is really nice in the sun, but basically Grey in poor light. Metallic red was another option for me , but the wife said it was an old mans colour, and even though I am retired I was not allowed it.
Old Jul 19th, 2018, 11:28   #40
volvocat

Volvo seem to have this wierd notion that buyers of their bigger cars don’t like bright colurs, esp. red; the only exception being XC/V90 R-Designs in Passion Red - but not S90 R-Design - “limited paint capacity in China” or something...
Momentum, Inscription and Cross Country all miss out on red, not even the new metallic Fusion Red that graces the 40 & 60-series.
The S80 & V/XC70 were all available in Ruby(?) Red, followed by Flamenco and seemed reasonably popular (certainly plenty still around) - and all look awesome.
What’s your problem, Volvo?!
volvocat is offline   Reply With Quote