Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

towbar electrics power up "delay"

Views : 435

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 17th, 2018, 21:30   #1
karlak

Default towbar electrics power up "delay"

So, connected up to the caravan to check the "factory towbar". Can anyone else with the dealer/ factory retractable towball confirm... When you connect the electrics, is there a small delay before the power come son, lights and ALKO atc, Possibly 5 seconds or so.. Ours is the XC90 if it makes any difference.

Have to say though, the light test function is brilliant.

G Reg 240 GL Estate automatic.
karlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2018, 22:19   #2
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlak View Post
So, connected up to the caravan to check the "factory towbar". Can anyone else with the dealer/ factory retractable towball confirm... When you connect the electrics, is there a small delay before the power come son, lights and ALKO atc, Possibly 5 seconds or so.. Ours is the XC90 if it makes any difference.

Have to say though, the light test function is brilliant.
Mine has a short delay before ATC light comes on. (XC90) sometimes the green light flashes until outfit is moved then goes to steady green.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Jul 17th, 2018 at 22:24.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2018, 08:08   #3
karlak

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
Mine has a short delay before ATC light comes on. (XC90) sometimes the green light flashes until outfit is moved then goes to steady green.

Thanks Nu11,

I had a bit of a panic when I first plugged in the 13pin connector thinking it had no power.

Only had a few minutes in the car as the main aim was to replace a faulty LED side marker, so do you get any indication in the car you are "hooked" up ? Apart from seeing the huge white thing in the rear view mirror . Think it was a VW I saw that gave a display on the driver information with a depiction of a car and trailer.. Volvo have anything similar ?

G Reg 240 GL Estate automatic.
karlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2018, 14:34   #4
nu11eaf
Premier Member

[UOTE=karlak;2426670]Thanks Nu11,

I had a bit of a panic when I first plugged in the 13pin connector thinking it had no power.

Only had a few minutes in the car as the main aim was to replace a faulty LED side marker, so do you get any indication in the car you are "hooked" up ? Apart from seeing the huge white thing in the rear view mirror . Think it was a VW I saw that gave a display on the driver information with a depiction of a car and trailer.. Volvo have anything similar ?[/QUOTE]

I have Blis and I get a pop up in the driver display telling me Blis has been deactivated due to trailer being attached. And you get the check trailer lights pop up as you have already seen. Cant remember if there is any other pop up messages off hand, there is no graphic display of car and trailer.
Press the O centre button on right side of steering wheel to acknowledge and remove messages.

Reverse parking beeper, pilot assist and coasting when in eco mode are also deactivated when trailer attached. Cruise control and adaptive cruise control are still available, and the cars trailer stability system is activated. (As well as the Alko caravan ATC system)

Last edited by nu11eaf; Jul 18th, 2018 at 14:41.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 18th, 2018, 21:16   #5
cassell
Member since 1988

Exactly as nu11eaf has said, plenty of notifications on the driver display to confirm that all is electronically connected.

It's worth also pointing out that the 'switched live' fridge power circuit remains live when the engine is switched off for several minutes, unlike the old split-charge relay systems. I recall that it also switches off immediately if the car is locked.

I had a mild panic that my caravan wiring and/or fridge was faulty until this was pointed out to me! Sadly, Volvo haven't informed the caravan world of this useful facility on the SPA platform tow bar-equipped cars.

Hope this helps?

Paul
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cassell For This Useful Post: