Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Yet another alarm issue

Views : 597

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 26th, 2022, 10:07   #1
azzledazzle
Certified Bodger

Default Yet another alarm issue

Greetings fellow volvo owners,

I have an issue with my alarm on my XC90, I know there are countless threads on this subject already but there aren't enough days left on this earth for me to scour through them all.

My alarm often triggers for no apparent reason ( I share a vida with my buddy so I will get that plugged in over the next few days to identify the trigger) however, there is no sound from the siren, just flashing hazard lights. Also, there is no 'Alarm service required' message on the dash.

My immediate thought is that the battery inside the module is failing so I purchased a replacement battery and fitted that the other day, the existing battery was in excellent condition, still sealed and not leaking, still pumping out a healthy 7.2v, the circuit board looks pristine too with no obvious signs of failure or broken components.

Whilst I had the module apart, I bench tested the siren and it was loud and functioning just fine. I reassembled the module and fitted it back to the car. I sat in the car for a good few minutes with it locked and triggered the alarm, the siren sounded as expected, however subsequent attempts to repeat this failed, and only hazard lights flash with no siren sound.

This is where my confusion begins, I know the siren works, I know the battery is good, but they aren't working together in unison, I suspect maybe the module is faulty but I wouldn't like to spend £200 on a replacement and have the same issue.

Does anyone have any advice on further testing I could do? Or other methods I could try before taking the plunge on buying a new siren module?

On a side note, I don't know if this is related or not, but worth mentioning, the fuel flap lock doesn't always release when unlocking the car, a few times I was caught short trying to get diesel only for me to be unable to open the fuel flap so I manually unlocked it and disconnected the harness thus rendering it always unlocked. I suspect the locking actuator /motor but haven't got round to fixing that yet.

Anyway, apologies for the long post, I appreciate any and all advice you may be able to offer.

Thanks.
azzledazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2022, 13:17   #2
Spike56
Master Member

I know that you cannot set the alarm with a door or boot/bonnet unlocked ( not fully closed/latched) not sure whether the fuel flap is part of the system, but if it reports being open that might throw the alarm into chaos!

On a side note. I lifted my bonnet to check something.....shut it and started the car only to get a dstc and abs warning light! Went away the following day! Volvo checked it... No fault found!

Gotta love computers!
Spike56 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spike56 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 26th, 2022, 14:32   #3
azzledazzle
Certified Bodger

Hopefully vida will tell me if it's the fuel flap. My concern isn't so much the random triggering of the alarm but more the fact it doesn't make any noise.

I miss the old days when electronics didn't dominate every aspect of life. It was a simpler time 😁
The Following User Says Thank You to azzledazzle For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 27th, 2022, 16:45   #4
azzledazzle
Certified Bodger

So, I had vida plugged in today, the last 3 alarm trips were mass movement sensor front and rear. This is likely to be me purposefully triggering it to test the siren, I also programmed the siren to the car as if it was a new replacement unit but it made no difference.

Also fixed my fuel flap lock. A good strip down and cleanup of the shaft and cogs, along with some fresh lube is allowing a nice, smooth and fluid movement in and out of the flap, so hopefully this will prevent anyone from stealing my juice 😉

Still non the wiser on the siren though. Might take a gamble on a 2nd hand module. I can't justify the expenditure on a new module without knowing for certain that's the culprit. The car is well secured without it anyway. It just upsets my inner OCD having something not work as intended.
Old Apr 27th, 2022, 20:18   #5
Simmy
Premier Member

buying sh sirens can be a mine field i obtained more than six over the years cut them all open and only found one in anything like repairable condition . a new battery fixed the good one i found but it took years but i like a chalenge . to test the siren open a window and lock the car with the fob after a few mins lean in and move your arms this should trip the alarm siren .
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 28th, 2022, 08:20   #6
azzledazzle
Certified Bodger

6 units and only 1 was good? Crikey! Maybe it's just something I ought to live without then.

With the money I'd save on not buying a new module, I could purchase one of these kits instead, it's volvo compatible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sk9WcXbkjaI&t=64

😂 😂 😂