Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sat Nav Fault - Help Needed

Views : 6548

Replies : 66

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 15:39   #51
Brilliant Eclipse

Hi Folks,

I have tried with and without the DVD in the drive. I have also used the remote control and the buttons on the steering wheel. I have not managed to get the 'Map Update' or 'HDD Update' options in the SatNav diagnostic menu to work.

Does anyone have any further ideas or perhaps a technical manual for the diagnostic menu? There must be some way to get these options to work.
Brilliant Eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 20:58   #52
SwissXC90
Premier Member

That's pretty much exhausted the ideas I had

The only thing I can say is that maybe the menu items need a long press on the ENTER button?
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 21:02   #53
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeoreilly View Post
I did insert the new map and it did a firmware update but didn't invoke the map update - I raised the issue with the dealer and they asked Volvo who the gave the following reply:-

"Volvo has advised in their Technical Report that it is not possible to change the region for this version of Navigation, or run maps outside of the region the car is set for."

sounds like a fob off to me considering the device itself says contact dealer for additional maps - what option do I select in the diagnostic menu?
Perhaps it may help us if you advise what region of the world the car was originally made for, and what region of the world you now want to operate the car.

The options in the diagnostic menu are as self explanatory as you see them.
I've never seen any Volvo documentation on the diagnostic menu.

Quote:
I have got options like reset key etc and when I highlight them and press enter nothing happens - is there a specific way of selecting the options other than the obvious enter key?
Not that I know of.

If you have a DVD of the original region maps, and a DVD of the new region, you could compare the DVD data and look for anything obvious in the config files. Maybe you can make a DVD that labels itself as the region the car expects, but contains map data from the region you are in now.

And tell us what the regions are.... and what year car it is... and if you have MMM or MMM+....
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 02:35   #54
lifeoreilly

Sorry - moved from UK to Australia so Europe to pacific regions - car is a C70 2011 with MMM+

I have bought a second hand MMM+ from the local region so going to try and swap the hard drive out when it arrives (the units are coded to the car and dealer says you can't put a second hand unit to another car as they are registered - suspect they are just trying to sell me a new unit for silly money)

I have had the same results with the menu's - you can highlight but can't select - there must be some other key combination that I cant figure out.

I am going to try the following:-

1. Swap second hand drive with no discs in the unit to see if it still asks for a key disc
2. if that doesn't work then will try with pacific disc in the unit
3. and then finally if the above don't work will try the Europe disc and hope that it doesn't wipe out the pacific maps on the hard drive

Will probably try and clone the drive before I try option 3 if any of the ATA passwords above work.

Will let you know how I get on.
lifeoreilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 04:34   #55
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Sorry - moved from UK to Australia so Europe to pacific regions - car is a C70 2011 with MMM+

I have bought a second hand MMM+ from the local region so going to try and swap the hard drive out when it arrives (the units are coded to the car and dealer says you can't put a second hand unit to another car as they are registered - suspect they are just trying to sell me a new unit for silly money)
The dealer is correct. The serial number of the nav unit is stored in the ICM/CEM, and the serial number check occurs at every startup. It's an anti-theft measure.

I think I saw a menu in the nav where it showed the map region.

Quote:
I have had the same results with the menu's - you can highlight but can't select - there must be some other key combination that I cant figure out.
Some nav menu items will obviously work, as you can navigate the menu, and go things like select the display test etc.
Keep trying.

Quote:
1. Swap second hand drive with no discs in the unit to see if it still asks for a key disc
Are you implying that it WAS asking for a key disc? That is new information.
I've never see a Volvo key disc anywhere.

Quote:
2. if that doesn't work then will try with pacific disc in the unit
Yes, good start. Of couse, you must ensure the disc is for the MMM+ for the C70.

Quote:
3. and then finally if the above don't work will try the Europe disc and hope that it doesn't wipe out the pacific maps on the hard drive
Yes, but ensure you make a copy of the harddrive first using a cloning program.
At the same time you can help the other poster here with a dead hard drive by informing us of the harddrive content structure, disc format, etc.

The car config is stored in the CEM and likely the device listens to the broadcast car config, and gets the car region from that.
Behaviour of the nav with another harddrive fitted is unknown.
The coding of the nav is held in the nav's flash memory.
Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 15:41   #56
Brilliant Eclipse

Latest Update,

After being run round the houses and given conflicting advice from a number of Volvo main dealers, I have found a main dealer that gave the following advice:

- Your replacement HDD is blank and, like a computer, needs the operating system reloading on to it.
- This will cost about £30 for the software and 1hr of labour.
- Once the operating system is reloaded, you will be able to reload your map data from the DVDs you already have.

The earliest I can get this done is towards the end of Jun and I shall repot back then. Any suggestions welcome in the meantime.
Brilliant Eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brilliant Eclipse For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 17:27   #57
lifeoreilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brilliant Eclipse View Post
Latest Update,

After being run round the houses and given conflicting advice from a number of Volvo main dealers, I have found a main dealer that gave the following advice:

- Your replacement HDD is blank and, like a computer, needs the operating system reloading on to it.
- Once the operating system is reloaded, you will be able to reload your map data from the DVDs you already have.

The earliest I can get this done is towards the end of Jun and I shall repot back then. Any suggestions welcome in the meantime.
Do let us know how you get on, and if you know what to specifically asked for that would be great - getting fed up with the dealers not knowing their own product.
Old Jun 4th, 2019, 02:43   #58
GenericVolvoDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brilliant Eclipse View Post
Latest Update,

Wow! That's great news!
Make sure they offer a refund if it doesn't work.

The "free option" is to get a byte-by-byte image of a working drive and image your blank HDD with it.

You'd be doing a great service if you took an image of your freshly restored drive after the dealer visit!
'88 Nissan 300ZX Turbo - Me

Last edited by GenericVolvoDriver; Jun 4th, 2019 at 02:49.
GenericVolvoDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2019, 00:54   #59
lifeoreilly

Well I can confirm that taking a hard drive out from a 2nd hand unit works without a problem.

Appears the DVD that you must have in the unit is tied to the unit and not the hard drive -
so I put a Australia hard drive in and it requires my European disc to enable it to work.

Also noticed that it installed both maps onto the hard drive.
The Following User Says Thank You to lifeoreilly For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 9th, 2019, 07:23   #60
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Very interesting, thanks for the feedback