Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo Extended Warranty

Views : 1921

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 26th, 2020, 16:12   #11
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deman77 View Post
Here is a rant.
I’m all for new tech - I owned two Priuses for 8 consecutive Years and now have i3 as a run around. EV is ok as a run around I’m a sub 1.5 ton car but as a long range car it is just so wasteful - accelerating and braking 2.5ton plus lump and having atrocious cornering and ride just so you can go an extra 100 miles once in a while. And then anything more than 5min charging is totally unacceptable to me- so it is either battery swapping which didn’t happen or just home charging which means they should just be the short range run arounds. I profess big pivot away from full long range EV unless solid state gives some shocking breath through in range and charge rates.
I am going with a fire breathing v6 petrol - I am not encouraging this insanity by giving money to the likes of Tesla or even to the proper car makers who just got pressured by shareholders into building this rubbish. Hopefully in 10 years we will have hydrogen on supercapacitors but until then it should be mild hybrid or a short range plug in with least possible weight penalties. Look at Toyota - they didn’t get pressured by the diesel fad, they persevered with mild hybrid petrol and they didn’t really take up the full EV. They are the ones to watch for sense.
As a fellow techie who often loves to be 1st in, I totally agree with your above ‘Rant’ and IMHO the current western worlds fad towards Full Electric cars is primarily political and not at all practical due to all the obvious reasons stated many times. So whilst my wives next “Shopping” car will be Full electric as her longest journey is only 5 miles, so with garage charging it’s perfect.
But my next car in say 2 yrs will be a mild hybrid as the future of car’s energy systems will be Hydrogen Cells. Just look at the Billions that current major Oil Co’s and Saudi are investing into to this technology as they know that without this investment in say 15 yrs time they will have almost zero revenue.
So my expectations will be that with a combination of Solar & Wind energy sources an efficient means will be found to manufacture Hydrogen in a Zero Carbon method.
Watch this space - though by 2035 I expect my driving years to be running out & perhaps I will only need a Shopping Car by then.........haha.
Old Sep 25th, 2020, 10:48   #12
rj1986

Morning all

Reviving this thread rather than starting a new one - has anyone used any 3rd party warranty companies? I've always thought that they always try and wriggle out of any claim and aren't worth the paper they are printed on.

My XC60 is coming up to 3 years (right around Xmas, so when I have so much money...) so the Volvo manufacturers one might be too expensive, and as it only has 18k miles but a lot longer on the finance it makes sense to extend.
rj1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2020, 15:31   #13
amadan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj1986 View Post
Morning all

Reviving this thread rather than starting a new one - has anyone used any 3rd party warranty companies? I've always thought that they always try and wriggle out of any claim and aren't worth the paper they are printed on.

My XC60 is coming up to 3 years (right around Xmas, so when I have so much money...) so the Volvo manufacturers one might be too expensive, and as it only has 18k miles but a lot longer on the finance it makes sense to extend.
I used Warranty Direct years ago on a 4 or 5 year old focus and they were fine. Unfortunately they insisted on using Halfords garages and they weren’t fine.
amadan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to amadan For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 25th, 2020, 16:42   #14
techwatcher
Master Member

Quote:
Morning all

The Volvo Extended Warranty (like all extended warranties it's not actually a warranty but an insurance policy) is actually a third party policy provided by Car Care Plan and given Volvo branding.

They do offer monthly payments if you wanted the Volvo policy if that would help with finances, although should you have a claim they expect you to pay the remaining premium before they pay out.
Old Sep 25th, 2020, 21:35   #15
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Morning all

I bought a QBE automation gold warranty from my dealer. It cost £599 for 3 years. It recently paid out circa £3000 for a new ERAD. It was the best 600 quid I have ever spent.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Philip Fisher For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 25th, 2020, 23:16   #16
Carabind

How about self insuring? Mine has been reliable enough over threee years, only needed a indicator ECM replacing in warranty.
My belief is after 3 years old, there is enough expertise around outside of the volvo dealer network, at a lower labour rate too ...but maybe I’ve been lucky
Carabind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2020, 23:54   #17
Cull06
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carabind View Post
How about self insuring? Mine has been reliable enough over threee years, only needed a indicator ECM replacing in warranty.
My belief is after 3 years old, there is enough expertise around outside of the volvo dealer network, at a lower labour rate too ...but maybe I’ve been lucky
Okay fine but when I see threads about £8k cost because the ERAD fails then my bum starts getting jittery