Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Warning to all hybrid and mild-hybrid owners

Views : 5504

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 25th, 2020, 08:40   #1
jonnyu

Exclamation Warning to all hybrid and mild-hybrid owners

To all Volvo owners with hybrid or mild-hybrid engines please note that Volvo does not take any responsibility involving fire incidents.
The Oncall service will also not help you if your car catches fire due to the battery of the car (and these freak accidents can always occur, check what happened with some Tesla models last year) or due to any other incident where fire was the cause of the damage. They wont tow your car neither give you a replacement vehicle.

Just a friendly reminder to include all the necessary insurance options against fire with your insurance company and take special note when checking the clauses so that the insurance does not exclude any responsibility due to a car failure causing the fire.
Old Sep 25th, 2020, 08:57   #2
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Cars have been catching fire for as long as they have been in existence - let us not forget that petrol is flammable...... I have no doubt manufacturers have been denying any liability for these fires for just about as long.

I would be very interested to see any figures which show the relative number of car fires by propulsion type adjusted for number of vehicles sold.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Philip Fisher For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 25th, 2020, 14:01   #3
Duri13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyu View Post
To all Volvo owners with hybrid or mild-hybrid engines please note that Volvo does not take any responsibility involving fire incidents.
The Oncall service will also not help you if your car catches fire due to the battery of the car (and these freak accidents can always occur, check what happened with some Tesla models last year) or due to any other incident where fire was the cause of the damage. They wont tow your car neither give you a replacement vehicle.

Just a friendly reminder to include all the necessary insurance options against fire with your insurance company and take special note when checking the clauses so that the insurance does not exclude any responsibility due to a car failure causing the fire.
Not that I am concerned about this (since I do not have a hybrid car) but my Volvo Assistance+ covers all above mentioned incidents and your car will of course be towed as during any other incident. All subsequent assistance items apply too (replacement car, hotels, ....). There is no exclusion for hybrids or fire from batteries or any other similar cause.

So where did you get that info?
past: XC60 D4 FWD AT (MY 2015)
Duri13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2020, 17:10   #4
Dulcise

Quote:

Most fires are caused by faulty wiring, maybe a starter wire touching another wire or earth, but of course batteries have been known to catch fire (Samsung Note7) so good advice.
I did have an issue with a Citroen BX a few years ago now, where some wiring behind the glove box shorted and caused a lot of smoke, but no fire thankfully, not sure how this happened unless someone had been messing before I owned it. Luckily it was an easy fix with some tape !!

Last edited by Dulcise; Sep 26th, 2020 at 17:13.
Dulcise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2020, 00:43   #5
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:

Perhaps backing it up with a link to information containing these waivers?
The Following User Says Thank You to Bashy For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 28th, 2020, 07:59   #6
jonnyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duri13 View Post

So where did you get that info?
https://assets.volvocars.com/uk/~/me...6.pdf?la=en-gb

8. Exclusions relating to UK & Continental
European Cover
• If the vehicle has been involved in an accident
and requires salvage or off road recovery,
additional charges for special equipment used
to salvage the vehicle prior to recovery are not
covered.

If found this out when my car was involved in a fire in a garage. It was not touched by the fire but it was covered with debris from the fire. Volvo refused to get my car and give me a replacement vehicle because cars involved in fire incidents or floods are considered salvages because what is important to Volvo is the origin of the incident even if your car is not wrecked. Note that I bought a 0km XC60 2019.
Old Sep 28th, 2020, 12:43   #7
Dilinger

Quote:

European Cover
covered.

If found this out when my car was involved in a fire in a garage. It was not touched by the fire but it was covered with debris from the fire. Volvo refused to get my car and give me a replacement vehicle because cars involved in fire incidents or floods are considered salvages because what is important to Volvo is the origin of the incident even if your car is not wrecked. Note that I bought a 0km XC60 2019.
Where does your document mentions exclusion of Hybrid and Mild hybrid vehicles?
Dilinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2020, 13:11   #8
jonnyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilinger View Post
Where does your document mentions exclusion of Hybrid and Mild hybrid vehicles?
It's not my document, it's the Volvo official terms and conditions document regarding the Oncall service.
The document excludes any car that is involved in a fire or flood (please do read the document). However what this exclusion means you eventually find out when you need the service, like I did.
Today all available new models are hybrid and mild-hybrid options and since these cars with larger batteries have a greater fire risk than conventional cars (even if it's a small difference), I think this is a fairly important information to share.

Last edited by jonnyu; Sep 28th, 2020 at 13:14.
jonnyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2020, 14:05   #9
Duri13

Quote:

European Cover
covered.

OK, so you apparently have Volvo Assistance, while I have Volvo Assistance+ (mind the PLUS at the end). The PLUS version covers the following items and exclusions are only about terrorist attacks and those standard exclusions. But fire is included. (sorry, it is in French but you can use google translator if you do not speak FR)
après un accident de la route, si votre voiture ne peut plus rouler
en cas de panne mécanique, technique ou électrique
si la batterie de votre voiture est déchargée
en cas de problème de pneus (crevaison ou pneu plat)
en cas de problème de carburant (panne sèche, carburant non adéquat ou carburant souillé)
en cas de problèmes de clés et de serrures (vous vous êtes enfermé(e) à l’extérieur de votre voiture, votre clé est perdue ou défectueuse)
en cas de tentative de vol ou de vandalisme ayant entraîné l’immobilisation du véhicule
si votre voiture a été volée
en cas d'incendie à/dans votre voiture
https://assets.volvocars.com/fr-be/~...sistancefr.pdf

Do they offer Assistance+ in the UK?
past: XC60 D4 FWD AT (MY 2015)
Duri13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2020, 14:54   #10
jonnyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duri13 View Post
OK, so you apparently have Volvo Assistance, while I have Volvo Assistance+ (mind the PLUS at the end). The PLUS version covers the following items and exclusions are only about terrorist attacks and those standard exclusions. But fire is included.
This information makes it much simpler and easier to understand. So I would say that it is wise that if we buy a hybrid or a mild-hybrid model that we buy this additional service as well.
I had a really bad experience due to this unpleasant surprise and I will upgrade my service to the + option if it exists in my region.

Tags
battery, fire, hybrid, insurance, on call