Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S90 - intermittent rub/grind noise at front right?

Views : 1551

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 3rd, 2020, 09:41   #1
MattRS

Default S90 - intermittent rub/grind noise at front right?

Hi all - long time ‘lurker’ on the forum with an issue that someone may be able to help with.

I have a 2019 S90 T4 R-Design, picked up in March 2019 and it is superb - the car had a couple of niggling rattles early on (around mesh trim and front seat), but managed to track those down myself. With around 6,000 miles on the car now, I have a developing problem:

Background given to Volvo Shrewsbury in Nov ’19

- A rubbing / scraping noise lasting a few seconds, only at low speeds (never noticed above 20mph).
- Noticed it happens where there is a small amount of 'left lock ' (i.e. just off centre) on the steering and weight / load is shifted onto the front right wheel.
- Best situation found to cause the noise is when going straight across smaller roundabouts (so a little right lock as you follow the curve of an island, followed by acceleration and momentary left lock to straighten up).
- Road conditions dry.
- No noise over rough roads, speedbumps, etc so seems to be more drivetrain related.
- Almost sounds like a plastic guard hitting the road surface briefly but can't see anything underneath.
- Feels / sounds like it is emanating from front right.
- Only under acceleration, definitely not on the brakes when it occurs (to try to rule out the anti-lock brake ‘grind’ you may occasionally hear)
- Quite intermittent.

Volvo Shrewsbury notes in response

Road tested, cannot reproduce. Checked tightness of OSF top mount. No play in steering/suspension. Inner arch liner secure. Spring blocks removed, brake pads OK.

The noise is becoming more regular and apparent at low speeds in recent weeks – I’m really waiting until it becomes reliably reproduceable before going back in, but would appreciate any thoughts on focus areas or similar faults?

I’ll also try to capture sound / video shortly..

Thanks in advance

Matt
MattRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2020, 10:13   #2
MattRS

Default Recording of sound

OK - managed to capture it.

The below is a few seconds long, ignore the first couple of ‘pops’ on the microphone and you’ll hear a double rub or scrape noise a couple or seconds in. Volume will need to be right up.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Thanks

Matt
Old Jan 3rd, 2020, 10:20   #3
MattRS

Default Second recording

A slightly better one:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old Jan 3rd, 2020, 10:46   #4
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Have you got mudflaps fitted, on low cars these can scrape on the road in certain situations. If you have check the bottom edges, my (original 1998) v90 used to do this and it was the mudflaps.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2020, 10:56   #5
MattRS

Hi - thanks.

No mudflaps fitted. The sound started out as a rubbing or catching noise, but has changed to something stronger in recent days - so it’s obviously developing...

Starting to get pretty annoying

Matt
Old Jan 3rd, 2020, 11:19   #6
Maccmike

Sounds bearing/pulley to my ears.
Maccmike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maccmike For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 3rd, 2020, 11:40   #7
weemark

I've found the Shrewsbury guys to be pretty good - given that you know precisely the conditions at which the noise occurs have you taken one of the service guys out to demonstrate? Suggest not the service reception staff, take one of the mechanics out
Old Jan 3rd, 2020, 11:40   #8
ASt85
Premier Member

It could be caused by small piece of grit trapped by the disc cover plate or a shard/ small strip of rust from the plate itself.

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ASt85 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 3rd, 2020, 14:36   #9
MattRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by weemark View Post
I've found the Shrewsbury guys to be pretty good - given that you know precisely the conditions at which the noise occurs have you taken one of the service guys out to demonstrate? Suggest not the service reception staff, take one of the mechanics out
Thanks - this may be the next step now. Also noticing it fades away when the car is warm, so may end up having to leave it with them to run up from cold..

Matt
Old Jan 3rd, 2020, 18:59   #10
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattRS View Post
Thanks - this may be the next step now. Also noticing it fades away when the car is warm, so may end up having to leave it with them to run up from cold..
Matt
Matt.
Suggest you ask for their Super Tech - John - to take the car out with you. John has been around Volvo’s for all his (long) life & being old school can often use his time served knowledge to identify the strangest of problems.