Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Noise...in particular road noise !!!

Views : 10156

Replies : 50

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 25th, 2020, 14:47   #21
poopbunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcise View Post
Just looking at some US quotes and these seem to back up my concerns....I have included one below from Canada on a slightly different model, but similar issues. Don't think that the cars are very well insulated due to the obsession with weight savings and emissions for the EU.

For those that added sound deadening, was before after SPL measured to see if it actually helped?

Thank you

I know a phone app based SPL is not accurate in itself, but it should give a nice relative comparison between vehicles when done from same phone.]
I am in the process of adding sound deadening and changing to laminated windows.

The snag is the lack of information removing the door card behind the inner door panel.

Subscription to service instructions for disassembly can be bought here, I am quite willing to pay but it requires a US credit card (I'm in NZ) to match the user address.

https://www.volvotechinfo.com/index....criptions.main

If I do successfully remove the panel, I will share here with pictures.
poopbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to poopbunny For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 26th, 2020, 16:49   #22
MiniNinjaRob
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airforced View Post
Yes uksteve. The majority ignore wheel size to their cost and then complain about road noise and comfort when most of these problems can be avoided by choosing smaller wheels initially and setting tyre pressures for most comfortable ride. Tyre brand can make quite a difference too and, to be honest, they do vary from car model/make to car model/make. What brand of tyre is good on one make doesn't mean that it will work on every make of car.

It can be a bit hit and miss unfortunately. But the basics are the same whatever. Smallest rim size and comfort tyre pressures are the place to start.
Exactly this. I’ve noticed there isn’t as many big wheelers in my area of any make maybe because of the potholes but small wheels are just more comfortable and generally quieter.

Friend of mine has just flat spotted a wheel on his XC90 and the wheel is huge (more than 20” maybe?). It’s going to cost him a fair bit for a replacement wheel as I don’t think it can be fixed!
MiniNinjaRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2020, 19:25   #23
Deman77
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopbunny View Post
I am in the process of adding sound deadening and changing to laminated windows.

The snag is the lack of information removing the door card behind the inner door panel.

Subscription to service instructions for disassembly can be bought here, I am quite willing to pay but it requires a US credit card (I'm in NZ) to match the user address.

https://www.volvotechinfo.com/index....criptions.main

If I do successfully remove the panel, I will share here with pictures.
Do not bother with laminated windows. I have from factory and they were marketed as noise reduction amongst other things. Even if they do there is so much noise coming through the chassis they make no difference. Note sound deadening will need to go not just at the bottom but all around the cabin as well under the lining as the noise could entering the cabin through the structural steels all around. Then it echoes around the cavernous interior. I think it is a very expensive pass time that may end up not yielding much improvement. Just as an example, early cars were missing some small piece of sound deafening in b pillars and the noise on concrete sections of m25 was almost unbearable until they recalled it.
I would just change the car if it’s too much. Xc90 is one of the worse modern cars for road noise.
Old Aug 26th, 2020, 19:27   #24
Deman77
Master Member

It’s a bit like fighting cold drafts in a house. You will only start noticing real deference once you cut out pretty much all of them. Until then it will feel as bed as before you started
Old Aug 27th, 2020, 11:38   #25
Dulcise

Thanks for all the suggestions. After doing about 250 miles on the motorway over the weekend, I’m pretty convinced that most of the noise comes through the floor so that seems to be the next target for sound deadening.
I do not think that there is much noise through the doors or windows, it’s a very boomy type of road noise which I don’t think I’ve encountered before and increases with speed unsurprisingly.
I have found some instructions for removal of the trim and seats on a US website when I was researching the rear parking camera which is a possible DIY fit if not already installed. They seem to come out fairly easily so I’ll be tackling this when I get some more butyl sheets.
Dulcise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2020, 11:08   #26
Jackysi

Quote:
Thanks for all the suggestions. After doing about 250 miles on the motorway over the weekend, I’m pretty convinced that most of the noise comes through the floor so that seems to be the next target for sound deadening.
I do not think that there is much noise through the doors or windows, it’s a very boomy type of road noise which I don’t think I’ve encountered before and increases with speed unsurprisingly.
I have found some instructions for removal of the trim and seats on a US website when I was researching the rear parking camera which is a possible DIY fit if not already installed. They seem to come out fairly easily so I’ll be tackling this when I get some more butyl sheets.

Actually disagreee. After doing doors + whole boot + area between seats and doors car is way quieter now... Road noise does enter some through floor, but mostly through windows now. Floor isn't that big issue as other things. However if I would not be selling the car, I'd do the floor too... Agreed.
Old Sep 1st, 2020, 22:33   #27
Dulcise

Default update

I have now stripped out the trim, seats and carpets and have added sound deadening to the bare metal under the front seats. This has again reduced the noise, but I still think that it is too loud compared to other cars I have driven (and I've had a lot over the years).
As I've got several sheets left over, I will probably put some in the doors as I get the time and inclination.
I'm disappointed with the car as it's only 2 1/2 years old, I would not expect the noise levels in a modern motor and think that there is something fundamentally wrong with the suspension layout.
Maybe new tyres will have a more significant impact.
Old Sep 2nd, 2020, 08:42   #28
airforced

Quote:
I have now stripped out the trim, seats and carpets and have added sound deadening to the bare metal under the front seats. This has again reduced the noise, but I still think that it is too loud compared to other cars I have driven (and I've had a lot over the years).
As I've got several sheets left over, I will probably put some in the doors as I get the time and inclination.
I'm disappointed with the car as it's only 2 1/2 years old, I would not expect the noise levels in a modern motor and think that there is something fundamentally wrong with the suspension layout.
Maybe new tyres will have a more significant impact.
Sorry to keep banging on about it but, if you do change your tyres, don't forget to set the pressures to comfort level rather than having them at the standard, rock hard, levels.
Old Sep 2nd, 2020, 14:09   #29
uksteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by airforced View Post
Sorry to keep banging on about it but, if you do change your tyres, don't forget to set the pressures to comfort level rather than having them at the standard, rock hard, levels.
You're not banging on airforced, you are giving out good information. It's not your fault that certain people don't want to listen. Suspect a hidden agenda here
Old Sep 2nd, 2020, 15:48   #30
Dulcise

I’ve discovered that the car had not really been used much between October 2019 and when I purchased it in June 2020 so maybe the tyres have suffered from being left standing. The tyres look ok, but perhaps have gone slightly out of shape...I might get them checked locally, but don’t really want to change them yet as they still have good tread depth.
Thanks again for the comments.