Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Noise...in particular road noise !!!

Views : 10137

Replies : 50

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 11th, 2020, 20:21   #41
Dulcise

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJudge View Post
How old are the tyres & how much tread ? as I said my XC60 was noisy tyre wise when the original fit tyres got towards end of life. when i swapped to Cross climates the road noise went.

40psi I would say is too hard as you've have very little spring in the tyre to absorb imperfections in the road surface. As mentioned estates do tend to be a bit boomier than saloons.

Do you have the load cover in place, my XC has more cabin noise if I leave it open.
The tyres are not new by any means, but have 4-5mm left I would estimate. I've had other cars with lower tread depths and not had an issue with road noise. I have had the tyres at 33psi all round, but I think this is a bit low to be honest and didn't cure the problem. I find the higher pressure in the front to be slightly better, although it does give a bit harder ride.
Dulcise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2020, 20:31   #42
Dulcise

Quote:
Originally Posted by airforced View Post
Why not try 33 all round. It may make a difference. I seriously think 40 is far too high for any degree of comfort and noise reduction. If 33 all round doesn't improve matters then I would suggest, whatever Volvo may recommend, that the main problem is the tyres. My Primacy were OEM fitted and they are brilliant.

The only thing to do in the circumstances is to experiment or take the expensive option and get rid. I hope that you are able, maybe in the long run, to find a solution.
Yes I have tried different tyre pressures, but with little effect. I'm reluctant to buy new tyres all round due to cost and the tyres still have several thousands miles left on them.
I have been reading that damping the wing linings can make a difference so may investigate doing something with these....I don't think they have any damping on them as standard.
Also read that the wheel size can make a difference as the length of the "tunnel" which the tyre makes can amplify the sound, so bigger wheels (or smaller wheels) may be a lot quieter.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dulcise For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 11th, 2020, 21:41   #43
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

pneumatic suspension. i always say... don't buy Volvos without it if you really want the best.
Old Sep 13th, 2020, 11:22   #44
Ian1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcise View Post
Yes I have tried different tyre pressures, but with little effect. I'm reluctant to buy new tyres all round due to cost and the tyres still have several thousands miles left on them.
I have been reading that damping the wing linings can make a difference so may investigate doing something with these....I don't think they have any damping on them as standard.
Also read that the wheel size can make a difference as the length of the "tunnel" which the tyre makes can amplify the sound, so bigger wheels (or smaller wheels) may be a lot quieter.
Hi again, I posted on this forum about the noisy ride in my mk2 XC60 about 1year ago. I traded in my mk 1 XC60 which was beautiful as a cruiser on motorways. The mk 2 can be ok on nice smooth roads, but is just not as quiet (235, 60 R18) generally. I have changed 2 tyres from conti to Michelin and there is an improvement but it's still not as good as the old one. I did test drive but it was around town and on ok roads. The problem for me is generally over about 60mph on some of our worn out dual carriageways and the concrete motorways are awful!! I had the last car about 8 years but I don't think I will be able to last that long with this one. It's actually a real shame because I like much about the car including the much nicer styling than the old one.
Old Sep 13th, 2020, 11:39   #45
Ian1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcise View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian1965 View Post
Hi again, I posted on this forum about the noisy ride in my mk2 XC60 about 1year ago. I traded in my mk 1 XC60 which was beautiful as a cruiser on motorways. The mk 2 can be ok on nice smooth roads, but is just not as quiet (235, 60 R18) generally. I have changed 2 tyres from conti to Michelin and there is an improvement but it's still not as good as the old one. I did test drive but it was around town and on ok roads. The problem for me is generally over about 60mph on some of our worn out dual carriageways and the concrete motorways are awful!! I had the last car about 8 years but I don't think I will be able to last that long with this one. It's actually a real shame because I like much about the car including the much nicer styling than the old one.
Actually, one of the things that does annoy me is that there are virtually no reviews that mention it because if I had been aware I would have tried on rubbish roads. Is it because they had car options that made the car sound ok? Adaptive dampers?
Old Sep 21st, 2020, 22:17   #46
Dulcise

Default Update

Quote:
Actually, one of the things that does annoy me is that there are virtually no reviews that mention it because if I had been aware I would have tried on rubbish roads. Is it because they had car options that made the car sound ok? Adaptive dampers?
I have inspected my tyres again in the last few days and have found some saw-tooth wear on them which can create noise, but I still think the car is noisier than it should be, but agree that some roads are bad. I don't think the tyre wear is only to blame as the noise is noticeable even at quite low speeds.
I have managed to reduce the boomy motorway noise by putting Noico on the rear of the front wheel arch liners after giving them a good clean with thinners and roughening the surface with some sand paper to help adhesion.
I am in the process of putting some dampening on the engine undertray, but I don't think this will improve tyre noise much.
Old Sep 26th, 2020, 17:23   #47
Dulcise

I have decided to sell the car so no more noise. Thanks for all the replies most of which were very helpful.
Old Sep 26th, 2020, 19:48   #48
Ian1965

Default New car?

What are you going to buy next Dulcise?
Old Oct 1st, 2020, 17:40   #49
jhogarth

Default more information

Jackysi can you please tell us what type of sound product you used in the different locations[dampener,foam,mlv] I have a 2019 xc60 inscription with 20 inch wheels and the road noise on rough highways is annoying
jhogarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2020, 19:53   #50
Dulcise

Quote:
What are you going to buy next Dulcise?
Discovery Sport...glad I've changed, it's a much nicer ride than the V90 and better specified and uses less fuel around town, which I'm surprised about. Haven't had chance for a good run yet to check fuel economy on the motorway, maybe won't be quite as good.