Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V90 will be no more !!

Views : 2574

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 26th, 2020, 16:42   #1
Dulcise

Default V90 will be no more !!

Although I have managed to reduce road noise to at least reasonable levels, I have decided to sell the car.
Because it is the R-design it is quite low on the floor and my wife has found it a bit awkward to get in and out of.
I'm also not very keen on some of the switchgear for the wipers etc., I find it a bit quirky.
Also a bit disappointed that it is very restricted as to upgrades with very little available. Reversing camera and heater steering wheel seems to be about it really, but quite pricey.
I did like the car for room and generally quite comfortable and the central display as easy to use, but noise levels let it down.
Maybe I should have researched the car better before buying !!!
If anyone is trying to reduce noise on a V90, I would recommend adding some sort of sound deadening to the wheel arch liners, as this seemed to have the most effect on the road noise.
I have lined them on the reverse with Noico butyl type sound deadening which seems to work quite well and is reasonable price, but I have noticed that some cars have a fabric type lining on the outside which must be beneficial.

Last edited by Dulcise; Sep 26th, 2020 at 16:47.
Dulcise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2020, 23:03   #2
poopbunny

Butyl will only help with panel resonance. I would add another layer of closed cell foam (eg. Dynaliner) on top of the butyl. It is foam encasing small air bubbles. Think double glazing.

I would do the same for rear wheel arch.

Then every surface area in the rear cargo hold.
That is the concert hall of road noise.

My car came with Pirelli P-zero with about 25mm of foam in the tire. When it came to changing tires, I went with Michelin Pilot Sport 4 and added 50mm foam cut as one piece to the edge of the sidewalls.
poopbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2020, 15:10   #3
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcise View Post
Although I have managed to reduce road noise to at least reasonable levels, I have decided to sell the car.
Because it is the R-design it is quite low on the floor and my wife has found it a bit awkward to get in and out of.
I'm also not very keen on some of the switchgear for the wipers etc., I find it a bit quirky.
Also a bit disappointed that it is very restricted as to upgrades with very little available. Reversing camera and heater steering wheel seems to be about it really, but quite pricey.
I did like the car for room and generally quite comfortable and the central display as easy to use, but noise levels let it down.
Maybe I should have researched the car better before buying !!!
If anyone is trying to reduce noise on a V90, I would recommend adding some sort of sound deadening to the wheel arch liners, as this seemed to have the most effect on the road noise.
I have lined them on the reverse with Noico butyl type sound deadening which seems to work quite well and is reasonable price, but I have noticed that some cars have a fabric type lining on the outside which must be beneficial.
No "maybe", you should have researched properly. What's happened here in your case is buyers remorse... You purchased a car, then started complaining about the road noise etc after you'd bought it. No matter what you did to the car, it simply wasn't for to be (You said in another thread that its one of the only cars you "regretted buying").

I think selling the vehicle is a sensible decision, as I suggested to you in another thread. You've been disappointed with it since day one, although better research in the first place means you wouldn't have ended up with a car that you didn't like.

Hopefully, you'll find another vehicle that suits your requirements soon. Its a shame the Volvo wasn't for you, but it happens.

Good luck with your search for another car. Make sure you do your research this time!

Last edited by Kev0607; Sep 27th, 2020 at 15:19.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 28th, 2020, 08:47   #4
Dulcise

They look nice cars, but I don't think they are the best value around...certainly not compared to other vehicles I have owned.
I have managed to reduce noise to an acceptable level, but the tyres are still noticeable even at low speed. The tyres have got some uneven wear so I'm sure the noise will reduce further when changed.
I'm really missing the extras which seem to come as standard on some cars such as fully electric seats with memory, heated windscreen, reversing camera etc. (It is possible to add a camera, but it is around £800 and of course you need to remove a lot of trim, front drivers seat etc. and then get it programmed at Volvo prices)
I do like the room the car gives and the infotainment centre is very good.
Not keen on the LCD display for the speedo etc., but most cars are going this way.
The seats are not as good as they look, the leather is starting to scuff up quite badly after only 25000 miles and they are not as comfortable as some. I have been suffering with sleepy arm syndrome which I didn't get in my Range Rover Sport.
I wish manufacturers would concentrate on the vehicle fundamentals rather than seemingly cramming in as much tech as possible.
The lane keeping, pilot assist and adaptive cruise etc. are just not needed and rely on expensive tech to work correctly.

Last edited by Dulcise; Sep 28th, 2020 at 08:54. Reason: addition
Old Sep 28th, 2020, 08:51   #5
Dulcise

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopbunny View Post
Butyl will only help with panel resonance. I would add another layer of closed cell foam (eg. Dynaliner) on top of the butyl. It is foam encasing small air bubbles. Think double glazing.

My car came with Pirelli P-zero with about 25mm of foam in the tire. When it came to changing tires, I went with Michelin Pilot Sport 4 and added 50mm foam cut as one piece to the edge of the sidewalls.
I would have liked to use foam, but I had the butyl to hand so this was the zero cost option, but it has definitely helped damp down some of the tyre noise especially at higher speeds.
Old Sep 28th, 2020, 09:04   #6
bornmiddleaged
:-)

I can sympathise with you on the buyers remorse; I've just bought a V60 after having had a Skoda Superb for only 18 months.
A really good car on almost every front but I could never get comfortable, think it was the angle of the seat base and because it was the lower spec model there was only basic height adjustability of the whole seat base. Lesson learned - do a longer test drive.
Doesn't matter now but I'm wondering if there is actually something missing from your V90. I find the road noise in the V60 to be much less than the Skoda and the V60 is on 20" wheels which everyone seems to say produce the most road noise.
What's on the shortlist for your new car?
bornmiddleaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2020, 11:53   #7
CoopsSA
Volvo Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcise View Post
They look nice cars, but I don't think they are the best value around...certainly not compared to other vehicles I have owned.
I have managed to reduce noise to an acceptable level, but the tyres are still noticeable even at low speed. The tyres have got some uneven wear so I'm sure the noise will reduce further when changed.
I'm really missing the extras which seem to come as standard on some cars such as fully electric seats with memory, heated windscreen, reversing camera etc. (It is possible to add a camera, but it is around £800 and of course you need to remove a lot of trim, front drivers seat etc. and then get it programmed at Volvo prices)
I do like the room the car gives and the infotainment centre is very good.
Not keen on the LCD display for the speedo etc., but most cars are going this way.
The seats are not as good as they look, the leather is starting to scuff up quite badly after only 25000 miles and they are not as comfortable as some. I have been suffering with sleepy arm syndrome which I didn't get in my Range Rover Sport.
I wish manufacturers would concentrate on the vehicle fundamentals rather than seemingly cramming in as much tech as possible.
The lane keeping, pilot assist and adaptive cruise etc. are just not needed and rely on expensive tech to work correctly.
All in your opinion of course.

I have a V90 and have no issues with the road noise - having come from other cars with both 18" and 19" alloys it is comparable to these.

The seats do take some getting used too but I find them extremely comfortable now and mine are 45k miles in with no sign of wear at all.

Must admit I added the rear camera to my options but really don't see the need to fully electric seats. Do lots of people drive your car?

It's clear you don't like the car now, so sell it. Move on and possibly buy something a little older with less tech if you can't or don't want everything. I find the PilotAssist etc all very good and use it every day.

That latest iPhone you have probably isn't really needed is it, just a bog standard phone will do eh?!
Old Sep 28th, 2020, 12:06   #8
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:

Am I reading this correctly that you have installed foam inside your tyres yourself?
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2020, 13:07   #9
poopbunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
Am I reading this correctly that you have installed foam inside your tyres yourself?
Correct.
poopbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2020, 13:55   #10
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Correct.
Each to their own but I am really not sure I would be fitting things inside my tyres.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote