Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Noisy power steering pump

Views : 8026

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 23rd, 2007, 21:56   #1
Jayceem

Unhappy Noisy power steering pump

Hi
My 99 S70 T5 develops a noise from the steering pump after about 5 miles or so - there was no loss of fluid but it did get frothy and 'boiled' over when the cap was taken of the reservoir -there is no apparent leak so i had a new pump fitted today thinking that was the problem but it has not made any difference.Anyone got any ideas what could be wrong?
Jayceem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 23:20   #2
ShadeTek
Premier Member

Question

If it's noisey it may just be air in the system. Try bleeding it by raising the front of the car, or park on some cardboard and do a few full locks, about 10 say. Or you may have a partially blocked system. What colour was the fluid?
Also, is it noisey all the time or just when you turn the wheel? Did it boil over when the engine was running?

V70 SE NAV 1.6 D2 2015MY POWERSHIFT, D4162T, 86000miles, RED.
/VOL FCR/PEPER OBD2/Acron 9135 OBD2/L.E.D Flasher/VDASH/ANCEL BA301
ShadeTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 09:05   #3
scotsgent

Hi Tek,

My pump has also become noisy. This only became apparent a couple of weeks ago, right after I flushed and changed the fluid.

I used the Volvo specific fluid, the level is normal and I used the 'Haynes method' of bleeding (as you describe, turning the wheel lock to lock some 20 times and holding it there for 10 sec's or so). I have done this a few times, but the gentle hum remains when turning the wheel.

I guess its possible that this is a 'normal' sound, but one to which my ears have now become 'attuned' to hear every time I turn the wheel. Its only audible at low revs and slow speeds, at higher revs/speeds the general noise of the road and engine drowns it out. Engine temperature or useage is not a factor, it is there all the time.

Is it possible for air to be trapped in the pump and that the 'normal' method of bleeding doesn't shift it?

Is it possible to 'crack open' one of the unions at the pump and purge any air from it?

If so, presumably this would be at the inlet union from the rack? (since the outlet has a direct path to the reservoir and any air would just vent to this anyway?).

What would be the best procedure? (if indeed this is a wise thing to do!?)

Cheers, Terry

Last edited by scotsgent; May 24th, 2007 at 09:12.
scotsgent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scotsgent For This Useful Post:
Old May 24th, 2007, 10:08   #4
ShadeTek
Premier Member

Cool

I have had 3 different racks on my car, don't ask, and the pump groaned identically on each of them. As you say, it is normal for these cars to make this sound when turning at low speeds.

V70 SE NAV 1.6 D2 2015MY POWERSHIFT, D4162T, 86000miles, RED.
/VOL FCR/PEPER OBD2/Acron 9135 OBD2/L.E.D Flasher/VDASH/ANCEL BA301
ShadeTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 10:43   #5
powernut
Premier Member

if its any help ive a mint s/pump of a 850 t5 if there the same 20.00?nice and dry no leaks wines etc?as i know mine didnt make grony noises/mind did a p/steering pump on a vauxhall and it was a one way valve in the neck of the rack which was blocked causeing fluid to build up and thof back into the pump houseing/
Old May 24th, 2007, 19:28   #6
Jayceem

Default Re: noisy Pump

went back in to garage today they found that the brass pipe on the inside of the reservoir from the top hose connection had broke off new reservoir being fitted tommorrow so hope that cures it -will let you know
Old May 24th, 2007, 22:07   #7
scotsgent

"brass pipe on the inside of the reservoir"

Now you've got my attention, Jayceem!

As far as I can see, the reservoir is entirely made of plastic, could you give a bit more info' on the brass pipe described?

Cheers, Terry
Old May 25th, 2007, 15:03   #8
Jayceem

Default Brass bit in reservoir

Hi Terry
I have the model with the reservoir separate from the pump the brass bit should be connected to the Inlet for the top hose and go down into the fluid if its missing then i suppose the fluid gets 'frothed' up car is still at garage but i will post more on this saga when i get it back
JayceeM
Old May 25th, 2007, 15:33   #9
scotsgent

Hi JayceeM,

My reservoir is the same (seperate). I had a look into it. There does seem to be an integral moulded pipe built into the internal side of the reservoir which I think takes the returning fluid back to the reservoir beneath the normal level of the fluid.

Although my fluid is new (I did a flush and change a couple of weeks ago), its as black as night inside the black reservoir and even with a torch its difficult to see what is going on in there.

I would be interested to hear what your garage says though. As I say, no brass section is visible. I can quite see how if the fluid were 'frothed', then this would take air bubbles back to the pump and might cause the noise we both have?

Cheers, Terry

Last edited by scotsgent; May 25th, 2007 at 15:35.
Old May 25th, 2007, 15:39   #10
DieselDoNicely
Premier Member

Be warned, the pulley diameters may be different and getting them off requires a special tool.

DDN
2005 V70 SE D5 Geartronic 205,000 miles 55
2011 V70 Lux D3 Geartronic 220,000 miles
DieselDoNicely is offline   Reply With Quote