Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Views : 299

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 12th, 2024, 06:21   #1
JacoBrian

Question 544

Greetings! I'm a brit moving back from California (to Newbury) in a few months. Am I mad? Maybe. Anyway, I'm having my '62 Austin Mini 850 shipped over, but I can't decide whether to also ship my '62 PV544. Apart from a horribly noisy diff (which I'm hoping to replace or have repaired before the move) it's in pretty good shape, and I think it would be a fun (and rare?) car to have over there. The mini is a piece of cake to convert to RHD, but as far as I know they never made PVs for the UK, so it would be a bit weird to drive sitting on the "wrong side," but I think I could cope

Basically I'm just looking for some help with my decision. It's likely to cost quite a bit more to ship, so: to bring, or not to bring? If not, I'll have to sell it ... I also have a 1964 Plymouth Valiant convertible and an '86 240 but they are staying here and will be up for sale soon, hopefully to help pay for shipping the other car(s).
JacoBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2024, 08:27   #2
Rustinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacoBrian View Post
Greetings! I'm a brit moving back from California (to Newbury) in a few months. Am I mad? Maybe. Anyway, I'm having my '62 Austin Mini 850 shipped over, but I can't decide whether to also ship my '62 PV544. Apart from a horribly noisy diff (which I'm hoping to replace or have repaired before the move) it's in pretty good shape, and I think it would be a fun (and rare?) car to have over there. The mini is a piece of cake to convert to RHD, but as far as I know they never made PVs for the UK, so it would be a bit weird to drive sitting on the "wrong side," but I think I could cope

Basically I'm just looking for some help with my decision. It's likely to cost quite a bit more to ship, so: to bring, or not to bring? If not, I'll have to sell it ... I also have a 1964 Plymouth Valiant convertible and an '86 240 but they are staying here and will be up for sale soon, hopefully to help pay for shipping the other car(s).
Talk to Rob at Amazon cars, he will be able to advise the options (if any) to convert to RHD and expected value over here, if you eventually decide to sell you could get a lot of interest from Sweden, Holland and Germany if it’s a rust free dry state car
I have a LHD car in Uk and it’s not a huge problem but does knock down the cars value in Uk
Rustinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2024, 13:10   #3
Derek UK
VOC Member

If you are going to bring the PV back to the UK, definitely get the diff done properly or a replacement axle fitted before you ship it. Mike Dudek @ iRoll may be able to help with either option. With parts generally more available there, get the car fixed up to as high a standard as you can. Things like rusty wings can be replaced there at a sensible price but are gold dust here. Beware shipping loose parts in the cars. They have a tendency to disappear en route. A LHD Mini would be cool so perhaps keep it that way. No realistic options to convert the PV though. Go for it. 2 cars in one container?
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2024, 19:31   #4
morwenna240

Yes, def bring the PV over. I run mine all yr, the lhd bit is no prob, the car is quite narrow, it’s fine. As the others have said, parts supply her is good enough.
An no, moving back here is not mad, just imagine if a certain republican candidate were to return to power. . . . True, politicos here aren’t currently of the best, but one can hope. There’s no hope if aforementioned gets in. Cheers, we look forward to seeing your PV!
morwenna240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2024, 08:28   #5
JacoBrian

Thanks all for the advice! Much appreciated. I'm definitely leaning towards shipping both cars but that means a 40ft container so could be pricey. I must get some quotes! I just ordered some parts from iRoll and am awaiting a reply from Mike about a diff. I also heard that there's a Jeep diff/axle that may fit, so will research that. Sounds like I should keep the 544 LHD and I'll see how it goes with the mini before I consider switching sides. The 544 is in pretty decent shape, very little rust but the paint on the roof is bubbling / peeling and the interior is a bit on the tatty side. It's mechanically sound; I rebuilt the engine, gearbox and overdrive, spruced up the suspension and upgraded to front discs after a scary brake fade incident on a rally a few years ago. Unfortunately my garage over there is 6" too short to fit both cars so the Volvo will have to stay out in the open, certainly to start with. Rather that than the mini though!

Good to hear the country might not be as bad as I feared
The Following User Says Thank You to JacoBrian For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2024, 12:37   #6
Derek UK
VOC Member

Overdrive and discs make the PV much more viable as a daily driver if that is your intention. Best if the replacement diff or axle is a 4.10.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2024, 21:12   #7
JacoBrian

Thanks Derek. Yes, the 544 currently has a 4.10 diff and it works perfectly with the tranny and overdrive (D type) so I hope I can get another one with the same ratio.

Haven't yet decided whether to use it as a daily driver, although it will be preferable to the mini, which has been in California all its life and will be kept well away from wet weather and any hint of salted roads ... if they still do that over there!
The Following User Says Thank You to JacoBrian For This Useful Post: