Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Amazon Estate Rolling Project

Views : 69996

Replies : 599

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 23rd, 2013, 19:45   #461
nick_ovlov
VOC20556

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khe Sanh View Post
the mrs doesn't scrub up too bad either... ;-)
good job she doesn't check on here haha

the current suspension set up seems well. its firm without being harsh which is nice but it is a tad low for the suburbia of downtown aberdeen! It's a joy to change springs on this car so we can try something else to see how they go.

I'd like to get the stereo working as a mini-project however am much keener to get the bodywork waxed, the wheels polished up to a brilliant shine and maybe a little bit of sheen on the tyres

Nick
Old Sep 23rd, 2013, 21:19   #462
57paul

the car looks great on those wheels what springs are fitted, how much is it lowerd
57paul is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 57paul For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 23rd, 2013, 21:38   #463
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Thanks. The springs that are currently on are the ones which the car came with. They're progressive and quite light duty. Not sure where they are from or how much they're lower than stock though sorry.
Burdekin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Burdekin For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 19th, 2013, 22:28   #464
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

I was over at the workshop today and another member Dave (Random Noise) dropped by with his Amazon. Dave's got work to do on his Amazon over the winter, mainly the underneath, sounds familiar. We're going to move my P1800 out of my workshop to under the car port so Dave can move his Amazon in for the winter. It's going to be a busy workshop this winter, but that's a good thing. I'll help Dave with any welding needed but I have my own underseal to remove from the front end so he'll be on his own there I'm afraid.

While Dave was there he helped start giving the workshop a clean, it needs a thorough clean before we start again this winter. I'll also give the floor a fresh coat of paint and give the walls a bit of a paint as well as it feels so much better when the workshop is looking good.

After Dave left I stayed for an hour and got out my spare lower tailgate and started investigating it's condition. It's a little rusty along the bottom so I'm going to fix it up properly, paint and fit it to the car. I also have a very nice upper to strip back and paint and fit also. I'm half way through building a deck and gazebo at home and been away quite a bit for work so I'll crack on with this between everything is the plan, so won't be a quick job. I'll make a new lower outer section and then remove what is needed, and then cut out the rust from the inside lower section, make a new repair section and weld each bit back in. I get to use my English wheel and bead roller I made so am looking forward to the job.

I picked up an old style front grill from Andy the Aussie. Still not decided if I'll mod a front panel or have a go at making an old style front grill to fit the larger holes. I fancy having a go at making some grills but not sure when I will get round to this as it is low on the priority for now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2044.jpg (258.2 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2045.jpg (301.7 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2046.jpg (338.2 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2047.jpg (191.3 KB, 37 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Burdekin For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 19th, 2013, 23:08   #465
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

Thumbs up

Hi Ya Mitch

the rear tailgates have to be the hardest parts to work and repair on a estate i find not a five minute job due to the curves and contours in both directions i have a pair here i must repair ready for one of my next projects not a job im looking forward to but needs must im very sure you will turn it into a nice set keep us posted.

and i defo agree a clean workshop is a nice place to play in i mean they are our man caves after all so a tidy workarea is much easier to jump around in

Regards

Robert

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !
123GT-AMAZON is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 123GT-AMAZON For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 19th, 2013, 23:15   #466
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1800necwinner View Post
Hi Ya Mitch

the rear tailgates have to be the hardest parts to work and repair on a estate i find not a five minute job due to the curves and contours in both directions i have a pair here i must repair ready for one of my next projects not a job im looking forward to but needs must im very sure you will turn it into a nice set keep us posted.

and i defo agree a clean workshop is a nice place to play in i mean they are our man caves after all so a tidy workarea is much easier to jump around in

Regards

Robert
Thanks Robert.

My English wheel is the perfect tool for the job so hopefully making the repair panels shouldn't be too difficult. But I need to get a pair of tipping dies for my swage roller if anyone knows where I can buy a pair?
Old Oct 21st, 2013, 00:16   #467
Andy the Aussie

snap......

Two Aussies at opposite ends of this island both working on pearl white volvo amazon estate lower tailgates on the same day.

Random

glad you got the grilles all ok mate

andy
Andy the Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andy the Aussie For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 17:44   #468
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Edy has a friend for the winter! We moved the Amazons into my workshop for the winter, Dave also has work to do on his Amazon so it should be a busy winter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2069.jpg (182.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2070.jpg (136.9 KB, 28 views)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Burdekin For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 18:50   #469
random_noise
VOC Member

Many thanks Mitch for giving me a home for the winter- glad to finally get mine out of the harsh Aberdonian weather.

Had the time to do a quick strip down & reccy. Already found a big hole in the floor! It's definitely going to be a busy winter.

Dave
random_noise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to random_noise For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 18:59   #470
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

No worries Dave, it's nice to help out.

Nick told me about the hole, at least that's an easy fix. Get that underseal off and we can make a start putting in some nice shiny metal in when I get back.