Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > ETM Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

ETM Issues Discuss issues regarding the problems with ETMs fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ETS Light - ETM failure -> Volvo US admits to problem.

Views : 110054

Replies : 434

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 14th, 2006, 21:19   #101
ShadeTek
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscas
Have you any idea what the software change does?

Patrick
Software upgrade = flim flam delay tactics.

V70 SE NAV 1.6 D2 2015MY POWERSHIFT, D4162T, 93000miles, RED.
/VOL FCR/PEPER OBD2/Acron 9135 OBD2/L.E.D Flasher/VDASH/ANCEL BA301/Topdon Top Scan
ShadeTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 21:24   #102
sholtby
Premier Member

As the fault is with the 'carbon?' tracks within the etm being worn by the wiper arms a software update will do nothing!
Anyone know how they fixed the problem on later cars? Thicker tracks that dont wear as quick possibly?

Simon
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 21:26   #103
PunkDebutante

Does anyone actually think this will amount to anything? I was hopeful until my husband's telephone call with Volvo UK after the show.
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 21:29   #104
kevham

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo2
Kevham,

Volvo UK told me they will not replace the unit after the guarantee period, even if you report initial problems while still under guarantee. They say the unit has to actually fail and be replaced within the guarantee period. What a rip off!

Come to think of it, I am not sure this part meets the Sale of Goods Act (as amended) as it is neither of satisfactory quality nor fit for the intended purpose.

Melvyn
Doesn't surprise me but I'm going to put a lot of pressure on my dealer. After all, the dealer has much more to lose than Volvo UK if I chose to sell and stop giving them several hundred pounds every 9 months or so for servicing. If they can't see that and contribute to the cost than so be it - I'll get the Honda!

Shame really 'cause it's a great car otherwise.
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 21:31   #105
pyaap
Non-T4 T4s RULE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkDebutante
Does anyone actually think this will amount to anything? I was hopeful until my husband's telephone call with Volvo UK after the show.
I think if you exert sufficient pressure on VCUK "en masse", then they will have to respond in some way or the other. I think part of the problem with such issues is there are numerous complaints on internet fora such as this, but it does not really go much beyond that. There's a much better chance of getting something done now in a large group, individual efforts will be far more difficult.

"An Engine Which Runs Lean Lives on Borrowed Time"

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=13998
pyaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 21:34   #106
Muscas
Master Member

Oh, I remember Volvo customer services, I spoke with them about my cracked Alloy wheel........

Patrick
1994 Volvo 480ES 2.0i (In and out of Roadworthiness)
2017 Toyota Land Cruiser, daily car

Last edited by Muscas; Feb 14th, 2006 at 21:54.
Muscas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 21:42   #107
MissDMeanor
Corruption rules

I feel for you all that have/had this problem. I'm very surprised that Volvo aren't being honourable, in my opinion.

Good luck with getting a result
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 09:03   #108
doakey

I to am having problems with the ets, it has nearly caused two accidents, one on he M40 when in the fast lane and the car suddenly reduced speed to 30mph, and another time when going round a corner the engine cut out and I lost the power steering, consequently the car went straight on, it is all very frightening for a pensioner. the garage have changed the ets, and it was great for a while, but then it has started doing it again, other faults it produces are tick over when starting is erratic, the kick down sometimes changes twice into such a low gear the car loses speed instead of gaining, when starting from stationary, it is a job to get going with a smooth take off
David Oakey
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 10:19   #109
TJMurphy
VOC Member

I'm seeing conflicting info on what models are included in this - can anyone enlighten me? The vexed site says 2002 S60's are included on one page and on another only talks about up to 2001 cars. I remember when I was researching the S60 (in 2001) I was advised on various forums to order a 2002 model as (1) the throttle response was "snappier" due to a change and (2) the car would come with DSTC instead of normal STC. I'd been assuming that (1) is actually the newer model of ETM (Bosch?) and therefore my car is not at risk but I'd be interested to know for sure - can I tell from a visual inspection under the bonnet? Car's going in for 72,000 mile service next week but it's shown no signs of problems so far (touch wood) ...
And, does this really fail without warning or do they always give advance warning (rough idling , poor starting) as others have noted? Not that I would have known before reading this what the advance signs meant!
TJMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 11:28   #110
scoffbelly
Scoffbelly

Default Outstanding issues & questions remain

Having seen the watchdog show, at the moment apart from raising awareness, it does seem that very little progress has been made at all apart from an offer to upgrade the software.

It will be interesting to hear what actions are taken by Volvo to those who phone their hotline number given after the show. As another posting says - they said "what do you want us do do about it".

I await Volvo's call or letter to me after the filming, as Watchdog said they would - will keep you posted.

But what's this....."Software upgrade only available to those who've already had their ETM replaced" this beggars belief as surely it is those who have yet to experience what I went through that need the software upgrade first ?

I am trying to work out exactly what this Software upgrade is, as Simon says, The problem is not software it's the wiper arms wearing through, so I agree, how is a software upgrade going to help ?

I can speculate that maybe all the upgrade will do is make your ETS warning light stay on as soon as there are diag codes logged rather than only coming on when the unit fails. I guess you could then take it to get fixed before it packs up completely, in which case why can it not apply to everyone and not just those who've already had a replacement ? It doesn't make sense to me at the moment and needs clarification.

A recall or USA warranty extension in the UK still seems to be the only real solution.

Last edited by scoffbelly; Feb 15th, 2006 at 11:31.
scoffbelly is offline   Reply With Quote