Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bi-Xenon headlights

Views : 2883

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 19th, 2017, 17:55   #21
david480

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
can u maybe post a photo of your lights? not very familiar with factory bixenons but to my knowledge sidemarkers were present on all versions.... Have you physically checked if there is a bulb holder for it inside?
Will do. Whats the easiest way of posting pics here, can you do it from a phone? Def no bulbs but I can no see if there are holders, there might be. There is a space for the bulb alright. How can I physically check this?
david480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2017, 18:48   #22
Billggski

My son just bought a BMW cl323, 2001 30,000 miles for £900. His colleague had a bi-xenon headlight replaced on his 2010 Discovery. £1,100!
Billggski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2017, 10:10   #23
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by david480 View Post
Will do. Whats the easiest way of posting pics here, can you do it from a phone? Def no bulbs but I can no see if there are holders, there might be. There is a space for the bulb alright. How can I physically check this?
just upload photo using attachment button (not sure if you need minimum posts or not) or use cloud image host, whatver suits you.
On my lamps there is a bulb holder with wires attached to it that you take out and put bulb in it. Not sure how to describe it better, but if you take lamp out and have a look inside of it under cover, it should be pretty obvious if its there or not.
again - not 100% familiar with OEM xenon setup but I assume those are as easy to take out as H versions - just pull out the locking thing under the hood and whole lamp just goes out!
Old Oct 20th, 2017, 20:30   #24
clarinbarry

Hi,

I am having the same problem on the passenger side

I have a 2005 1.8 petrol

To take out the light remove the holding pin under the bonnet its shaped like an arrow and holds the light in

Remove the light its clipped in to a holder on the indicator side of the light and then slide out

Remove connector block at bottom and you can take the whole unit out ( VERY SENSIBLE)

There are two metal pieces that hold the cover on slide them both off and you will access the inside

My xenon has a red holder on it , it has open and close on it and you open it , it removes a connector block and you can see the end of the bulb surrounded by a grey holder

turn the holder and it will let you remove the bulb.

The ballast for the bulb in my car is under the wheel arch I had it out today it badly corroded ( NOT A VERY SENSIBLE PLACE TO PUT IT) I also took a far amount of mud etc out from under the wheel arch lining I tried to open the ballast box but one of the screw heads broke it was that corroded

Gave it a good going over with a hair dryer put it all back in and it worked for about an hour.

I live in ireland so the rain has been falling a lot today I am currently scouring the web for one

Hope the above helps
clarinbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to clarinbarry For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 20th, 2017, 22:08   #25
david480

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarinbarry View Post
Hi,

I am having the same problem on the passenger side

I have a 2005 1.8 petrol

To take out the light remove the holding pin under the bonnet its shaped like an arrow and holds the light in

Remove the light its clipped in to a holder on the indicator side of the light and then slide out

Remove connector block at bottom and you can take the whole unit out ( VERY SENSIBLE)

There are two metal pieces that hold the cover on slide them both off and you will access the inside

My xenon has a red holder on it , it has open and close on it and you open it , it removes a connector block and you can see the end of the bulb surrounded by a grey holder

turn the holder and it will let you remove the bulb.

The ballast for the bulb in my car is under the wheel arch I had it out today it badly corroded ( NOT A VERY SENSIBLE PLACE TO PUT IT) I also took a far amount of mud etc out from under the wheel arch lining I tried to open the ballast box but one of the screw heads broke it was that corroded

Gave it a good going over with a hair dryer put it all back in and it worked for about an hour.

I live in ireland so the rain has been falling a lot today I am currently scouring the web for one

Hope the above helps
Thanks for that, much appreciated. I dont need to access the xenon itself at the moment, just the side light bulb, but it will be handy to have anyway. I am in Ireland myself down in Cork so I know what you mean about waiting for a break in the weather!
Old Oct 21st, 2017, 14:47   #26
david480

Took out both of the headlights this morning, surprised at how easy it was actually. In my mk4 Golf you needed the hands of a 4 year old child to change a bulb. Anyway both corner light bulbs were blown so I changed them both, only cost me a euro for two bulbs and now it looks a bit more like a proper volvo!