Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo C30 2.0D "Shark Performance" nightmare!

Views : 35069

Replies : 324

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 28th, 2015, 21:56   #1
yalrafai

Default Volvo C30 2.0D "Shark Performance" nightmare!

Hi guys I'd like to share my experience of getting my car remapped by shark performance.

Shark remapped my car for £315 and as I was driving it home I noticed that the engine would shudder briefly as I was accelerating. I tried to ignore this at first but things got worse and there was excess smoke coming from my exhaust and staining the back of my car. Additionally, the revs would oscillate as I accelerated and the car was slower than before I remapped it.

Took it back to shark, they told me I had to replace a fuel injector or something, ordered the part for £300 and got it replaced. No change whatsoever.

Took it back to shark again and they took the map off, no change whatsoever.

Taking it to Volvo in December hopefully to get it fixed but the engine light has been on ever since I got it remapped.

Although the guys at shark were nice etc the remap has truly ruined my car, just be careful guys

So to conclude: Oscillating revs, excess smoke, engine light on slower than before, occasionally engine shudders and there is no power whatsoever until I turn the car off and then back on. £615 down the drain so far plus 3 trips to shark (80 miles each way)

I think it's going to be a four figure repair job at Volvo aswell.

P.s I was never offered a refund or anything like that and they kept saying that there's a fault with the car and no problems with the map even though I've had it for 2 years with no problems at all and the first problem arose on my drive home from shark 10 minutes after getting it mapped. Coincidence?

Last edited by yalrafai; Nov 28th, 2015 at 21:58.
yalrafai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yalrafai For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 28th, 2015, 23:31   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

Did you get them to drive your perfectly ok car before the remap?
That would seem a sensible precaution to take before letting anyone do significant work on your expensive engine management.
Old Nov 29th, 2015, 00:06   #3
kenny
Master Member

I love first threads from new members slagging off well known companies. doesn't sound like the map is the problem given the car has been put back to standard and the fault is still there.

Look forward to the full story coming out if it does

Last edited by kenny; Nov 29th, 2015 at 00:14.
kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kenny For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 29th, 2015, 11:14   #4
iantowil

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny View Post
I love first threads from new members slagging off well known companies. doesn't sound like the map is the problem given the car has been put back to standard and the fault is still there.

Look forward to the full story coming out if it does
Doesn't sound as if they have been great though does it. You'd think they would refund at least, especially after removing the map. Even if it is just to avoid getting bad publicity such as this. And if the map could cause other problems, shouldn't they check the car is in a condition to take it without problems? Personally I think so.
iantowil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2015, 12:47   #5
alfadave11

you mention management light is on etc ...what are the codes for them to replace an injector at your cost???????

so please list ecu error codes
alfadave11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2015, 12:58   #6
yalrafai

they did give me the option to put the map back on in the future for free but why would I when it's destroyed my car in the first place
Old Nov 29th, 2015, 13:19   #7
alfadave11

Quote:
Originally Posted by yalrafai View Post
they did give me the option to put the map back on in the future for free but why would I when it's destroyed my car in the first place
get your money back ....you haven't got anything for your money ..sale of goods act ....
alfadave11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2015, 13:26   #8
IainG
Premier Member

Hi

Quote:
but why would I when it's destroyed my car in the first place
Could it have just highlighted an existing underlying problem / issue. A bit to early to jump to those sort of conclusions until you actually know what is wrong.
I would assume they have installed similar remaps on lots of similar engines without issues, that is why it might be worth thinking about previous underlying issues, they might have been there but not noticeable .
Iain

Last edited by IainG; Nov 29th, 2015 at 13:36.
IainG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2015, 14:23   #9
Rooster
Speed freak

If the car is still the same after been put back to standard then it sounds like its just turned up an issue with car,

You don't say how many miles your car has done or what its history is like, also modern diesels are very suspectable to bad fuel,

Remap's put more stress on engine just with the nature of them changing engine mapping to get more power, so if there has been an underlying issue then the map might have been brought it to a head,
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rooster For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 29th, 2015, 16:23   #10
yalrafai

it's a 2010 model, as I said it was perfect then on the way back from Shark I noticed the engine shuddering when I accelerated. Just warning others as I wouldn't want this to happen to anyone else, very costly and a waste of time. No chance that it would have passed its MOT either with the awful clouds of smoke coming from the exhaust whilst I had the map on!