Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

E46 Bi-Xenon (budget) retrofit

Views : 16731

Replies : 136

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 19th, 2019, 22:15   #61
Tk5678

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
if you can take the projectors our to clean them fitting the new ones is That easy,
the shutter, its up to you,
to connect them use the High beam wires, a simple splice will do the job or not use them as Highbeams on these are Outstanding , it wont harm anything to Not connect it , or indeed to connect it,
Cheers, no issues whatsoever with the highbeams but the dips are disappearing.

Presuming new reflectors plus clear lenses (Vs my Fresnel's) should be enough for a noticeable improvement?
Tk5678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2019, 14:53   #62
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tk5678 View Post
Cheers, no issues whatsoever with the highbeams but the dips are disappearing.

Presuming new reflectors plus clear lenses (Vs my Fresnel's) should be enough for a noticeable improvement?
Yes, the whole unit (projector) replacement is enough to get decent lighting and huge improvement even on H7 bulbs. Its only up to you if you want to progress further and go HID or not. Those aftermarket projectors from retrofitlab (or similar) are really worth it.
Old Mar 11th, 2019, 18:41   #63
Yobbo
Dave

Sooooo, after some fettling...

I've fitted some hooky Ali Express D2S projectors to my second set of headlamps with LED bulbs. (My V50 is a facelift model)
The result - BRIGHT AND CLEAR however some niggles to speak and first of all fitting:

Okay, so having facelift headlamps made a challenge for installation - first snag, when removing the b**stard torx screw, you know the one. I heard a distinctive pop, mildly alarmed I peerer inside and could not see any damage besides two white plastic shards, however I soon realised that there is a ball and socket joint which effectively attaches the whole floating interior of the headlamp to the base. Okay so, with the old projector out I just reached inside and tugged the lens rim to pull the socket back onto the ball. This is important as if it is not secured you can forget about using the beam leveller to point downwards - it will go up but also bounces around, not good.

So "Pop!" again, all is well I thought, then I tried and tried and TRIED to get the new projector in before realising that it would be impossible unless I removed the L-shaped hook used for routing the wires on the bottom part of the entry. I used some tin snips for this and it made light work of the polycarbonate, with that out the way I was then able to get the projector into position and for reasons of sanity secured it down with two of the torx screws. (I also put LED halos in - they are 85mm diameter and I slid them over the lens legs as far as they would go).

Results: Very good, much improved over the tired H7 projector and LED setup, throw is much better, though beam angles need adjusting big time - at current not wide enough, and despite the improved light output there seems to be an annoying less-intense light zone above the cut off - I'll probably get used to this. I also notice my coilovers much more now! Haven't wired up the shutters yet, going to buy a pack of scotch locks so I can also use them for those and the halos too.

We'll see how it goes, I'm reluctant to go HID at the moment but time will tell... The new bulbs I've got give a low beam error which is another minor grievance, and for what they are - probably not the best example on the market so will get another set in due course.

Last edited by Yobbo; Mar 11th, 2019 at 21:01.
Yobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 12:00   #64
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobbo View Post
We'll see how it goes, I'm reluctant to go HID at the moment but time will tell... The new bulbs I've got give a low beam error which is another minor grievance, and for what they are - probably not the best example on the market so will get another set in due course.
do you are on LEDs now or H7 ?
narrow beam pattern is a known issue of retro projectors, same as high contrast between under and over cutoff. Hopefully the light output outweights the negative issues in your case?
have link to projectors you used?
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 12:49   #65
Yobbo
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
do you are on LEDs now or H7 ?
narrow beam pattern is a known issue of retro projectors, same as high contrast between under and over cutoff. Hopefully the light output outweights the negative issues in your case?
have link to projectors you used?
LED D2S fitment, here's link to the projectors -
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/For-...4e214c4dxadfNT

The light output is much better, however I've had problems with the ball and socket joint popping apart and this is due to the chunkiness of the projector's mounting plate, I believe the only remedy to this is to either slice off the corner which goes into the hidden screw area (right where the ball and socket is) or chop down the pillar that the screw goes into which is obviously not a bright idea if you want to put the OEM projectors back in.
I did some more fiddling this morning - popped the ball and socket back together then refitted. When I tried to use the height selector dial the socket on the left headlamp popped off again...
Possibly due to me over-adjusting the height to be lower (clockwise) and the motor simply just forcing it to dislocate. I'd forgotten that there is no limiting to a safe range of adjustment, it's like doing parkour with a blindfold on.
So at this stage I'd like to express my profound discontent at the design of the adjusters!!! I've taken the left handlamp vertical adjuster too far (I did keep an eye on the thread turning but got a little too cocky) and now it won't snatch back when I turn it anti-clockwise, I feel I'm going to have to find a way to unwind the threaded adjustment pin till it has some bite again and it looks hard, possibly involving splitting the lamp apart. GRRRRRRR!!!!

Last edited by Yobbo; Mar 12th, 2019 at 12:52.
Yobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 12:58   #66
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
LED D2S fitment, here's link to the projectors -

...:
looks identical to the AHARON brand from TRFL, so I can only guess you would have the same issues with other AL type ones. Maybe FL lamp is just harder to deal with...

If you can post some pics if you have a chance - interested to see how those work with LED light source...
(link to LED D2S bulbs you are using, please?)
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 13:15   #67
Yobbo
Dave

Quote:
looks identical to the AHARON brand from TRFL, so I can only guess you would have the same issues with other AL type ones. Maybe FL lamp is just harder to deal with...

If you can post some pics if you have a chance - interested to see how those work with LED light source...
(link to LED D2S bulbs you are using, please?)
D2S bulbs here - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2pcs...4e214c4dxadfNT

I'll get some pics once I've sorted the fitting issues out, bit of nightmare when the ball socket joint goes as you literally have no adjustment and the naturally settled beam angle is HIGH. I went for a run down the back road and a car was coming the other way and repeatedly flashing me, I was just like "Sorry, sorry, sorry, this IS my low beam. Ughhhh"
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 13:40   #68
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
D

I'll get some pics once I've sorted the fitting issues out, bit of nightmare when the ball socket joint goes as you literally have no adjustment and the naturally settled beam angle is HIGH. I went for a run down the back road and a car was coming the other way and repeatedly flashing me, I was just like "Sorry, sorry, sorry, this IS my low beam. Ughhhh"
yep, gotcha, I though you may have an option to fire them up on the bench with "wall" pic, but any pic will do once you sort it out.
Have you tried to put H7 bulb in them just to compare if beam pattern or width changes? (I know in theory it shouldnt, but just for science.. :P)
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 14:30   #69
Yobbo
Dave

Quote:
yep, gotcha, I though you may have an option to fire them up on the bench with "wall" pic, but any pic will do once you sort it out.
Have you tried to put H7 bulb in them just to compare if beam pattern or width changes? (I know in theory it shouldnt, but just for science.. :P)
I wanted to align while on the car and live and it was going swimmingly till I popped both sockets haha...
I haven't tried a H7 bulb no, these projectors have a plastic collar that secures by rotation, they'll be coming off the car yet again so I'll have a look and see what can be done.
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 14:48   #70
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
I wanted to align while on the car and live and it was going swimmingly till I popped both sockets haha...
I haven't tried a H7 bulb no, these projectors have a plastic collar that secures by rotation, they'll be coming off the car yet again so I'll have a look and see what can be done.
ah shoot, forgot those are D2S.... nevermind me :P
The Following User Says Thank You to LizardOfBodom For This Useful Post: