Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > Parts - Sales and Wants > Generic Parts for Sale
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Diagnostic Code Readers on sale at Nordic

Views : 15698

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 21st, 2009, 11:21   #11
alexx

I didnt know all that all I know is a £20 jobbie has done us proud in the past im sure you've got good value
alexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 23:12   #12
zimma

Yeahh well, like I said, the 20 quid ebay tools are OBD scanners whereas the PPC and VCT2000 and DICE tools are volvo scanners. OBD scanners probably only cover 5-10% of the codes that are available on the volvo scanners.

The exception to this was the S40 up to 2004 which did make many of the ECU's available via 20 quid cables.
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 23:19   #13
zimma

Quote:
Originally Posted by v70-xc90man View Post
ahh you paid too much ppc direct do them for £64.95 delivered thats what i paid and its great like you say
Yeahh, i got mine a while back and i paid around 110 quid and that was imported from a USA seller.

At the time the best price in the UK seemed to be around the 150 mark.

I see they are now 100+VAT at nordic.

Ive never seen them that cheap though (apart from a brief period on some special at nordic maybe) was your 64 quid including vat, if so where from as that is mega cheap.
Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 08:34   #14
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimma View Post
Yeahh, i got mine a while back and i paid around 110 quid and that was imported from a USA seller.

At the time the best price in the UK seemed to be around the 150 mark.

I see they are now 100+VAT at nordic.

Ive never seen them that cheap though (apart from a brief period on some special at nordic maybe) was your 64 quid including vat, if so where from as that is mega cheap.
My was £49. I think it worked out at about 55 with postage.
Old Apr 27th, 2009, 22:37   #15
johnnynorthener

Hi davew, where did you get yours from. I really want one of these and that defo sounds like a price worth paying

cheers
johnnynorthener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 08:34   #16
Ricco

Default argos

what about this..

RAC Fault Code Reader.
740/2742

* Find out what is really wrong with your car before taking it to the garage.

* Check for faults on second hand cars before buying.

* Modern cars have a built-in diagnostic system called OBDII or EOBD which your garage will plug into to help determine any faults, now you can plug into this system yourself.

* Compatible with all petrol cars manufactured since 2001 and all diesels since 2004.

* Also compatible with some earlier car models manufactured after 1996, please contact our Helpline for more information on 020 83....

* Read/reset fault codes.

* Reset 'check engine' light.

* Backlit display.

* Compatible with the latest CAN protocol.

* Generic fault code definition table provided.

* Includes CAN OBDII code reader, CD with code definitions and carry case.

* Size (H)11, (W)7.5, (D)2.2cm.
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 11:27   #17
zimma

I suspect this doesnt do much more for you than your cheap ELM327 devices, as they also do can bus, but the key here is they only do OBD and OBDII over can. The OBDII standards defines what you can do with the car, most OBD compliant scanners cover the same stuff. The difference in price is normally down to how it is packaged, what software comes with it etc..... Several Manufacturers have implemented their own extensions to the OBD2 spec and several of the ELM327, and perhaps that RAC one will allow you to do extra stuff (ala VolFCR, VAGCom stuff etc.) but since around the turn of the century (later for S40) volvo have only supported full diagnostic via Volvo D2 protocol over dual CAN busses, whilst leaving the OBD2 (required by law) interface there just for the basic engine emissions based diagnostics.

The protocol that you want to find that cover the volvo specific functions is "Volvo D2" i believe. Also "Volcano Lite" is used, but that is probably only for software updates to the car.

The BSR PPC uses "Volvo D2" over dual can busses via the OBD2 connector to talk to the car, not OBD2 itself. As it uses VOLVO D2 protocol, it can talk to ALL of the ECU's in the car. The BSR PPC diagnostic scanner is NOT an OBD2 compliant scanner. It just uses the OBD2 plug to get at the two can busses.

This following product has software protocol options for Volvo D2 so I suspect this would allow you to get down and dirty with the volvo specific stuff too.
http://www.nsi.fr/fileadmin/OffreGlo...-MUX-0035e.pdf

Likewise this product can also do Volvo D2 so I reckon the same would apply.
http://www.rac.de/upload/mediapool/F...eng_R_1107.pdf

They're not off the shelf scanners though. I suspect these are the type of thing that BSR would have purchased in order to develop the BSR PPC diagnostics box in the first place.

I'm only really getting started in this area now. I have a VCT2000 setup and have started some diagnostics work with it. I've also fully reverse engineered the VCT2000 interface to the car and may start producing cheaper cables to replace the fault prone volvo cables that seem to fail quite easily.

The ultimate aim of this work is to produce a device similar to the BSR PPC (or maybe parter with BSR to produce an update to the PPC) which allows activations aswell as reading codes from the ECU's.

Last edited by zimma; Apr 28th, 2009 at 11:48.
zimma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 16:21   #18
Gazdok
Master Member

Does the BSR PPC also read OBD2 faults on other cars that have a OBD2 interface?
Gazdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2009, 08:35   #19
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnynorthener View Post
Hi davew, where did you get yours from. I really want one of these and that defo sounds like a price worth paying

cheers
Hi Sorry just seen this now...

It was from Nordic as well. They had a mad couple of weeks and reduced them. I got wind of it from this forum and loads of peeps got them.

I think they are back up to £100 now. (Only £50 off rather than £100)
Old Apr 29th, 2009, 10:47   #20
zimma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazdok View Post
Does the BSR PPC also read OBD2 faults on other cars that have a OBD2 interface?
No it doesnt. It is a volvo proprietry scanner, not an OBD/OBD2 scanner.