Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Connecting via wifi

Views : 1728

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 15th, 2014, 18:46   #1
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Default Connecting via wifi

It appears that MY15 cars may support tethering via wifi which should therefore all the use of a MiFi to get Internet connection.

Wifi tethering

This is what is described in the manual that I have for the car and I questioned originally but was told that it is only for VOC cars - that page does not indicate that VOC is needed for wifi - or am I reading it wrongly?
Old May 15th, 2014, 18:57   #2
acb5

You are quite right. I have VOC and the wifi option is not there. You can create a wifi hotspot with voc but not connect through it. Perhaps this is part of the May update. Only 15 days left for them to install it!!!!
Old May 15th, 2014, 22:01   #3
Flux
Premier Member

If this is indeed part of the May update, I'm wondering if MY14.5 cars can access via wifi as opposed to bluetooth only?

Would be nice as you might then be able to set up wifi hotspot.
Old May 15th, 2014, 22:15   #4
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

I have emailed Volvo Customer Services to ask whether this is available on MY14.5 as described in the manual either as a software or hardware update - not sure that I will get an answer or that it will be positive given their recent history.

Downloading the mapupdate now to install tomorrow - unfortunately also uploading 19GB of photographs after Help the Heroes 400 ml sponsored ride to my website so connections is a tad slow tonight
Old May 15th, 2014, 22:23   #5
Flux
Premier Member

Nice one. Would be interested in Volvo's response to your question as it would be great to have the option for a wifi connection.

I often find that when using bluetooth for internet as well as using the phone for calls (at the same time) seems to overload the system and often cuts out - and that's with a new 4G mobile phone.

The added flexibility of wifi would be a bonus . A pleasant surprise for those awaiting a MY15 as this has not been in any of the blurb, if correct (and not another confusing and contradictory bit of info from Volvo).

I too will be trying out the NAV update tomorrow. Just make sure you haven't got your horse photos on the USB when downloading the update as you might find a horse on every street corner on NAV from now on!

Last edited by Flux; May 15th, 2014 at 22:31.
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2014, 22:40   #6
acb5

The answer will be as usual "please speak to your dealer they have all the information". Sceptical or what!
Old May 15th, 2014, 22:44   #7
Flux
Premier Member

I bet it's news to the dealers too and wouldn't be surprised if they know less than us! At least that's been my experience........
Old May 15th, 2014, 23:15   #8
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrismy desk it605
I have emailed Volvo Customer Services to ask whether this is available on MY14.5 as described in the manual either as a software or hardware update - not sure that I will get an answer or that it will be positive given their recent history.

Downloading the mapupdate now to install tomorrow - unfortunately also uploading 19GB of photographs after Help the Heroes 400 ml sponsored ride to my website so connections is a tad slow tonight
Iain,
What was the size of the download for the map update?
At the moment I cannot find the update for MY14.5, only the two other systems. Might have to try with my desk top.
It stated a 32 GB stick, surely the file is not that large?
We will all be interested to hear how you get on with the update.
Speed limits will be my main interest.

tem.
Old May 16th, 2014, 10:38   #9
Flux
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
I have spoken to my dealer this morning. They are not sure if it is available (no surprise there!) but have asked me to email then outlining functionality I want!

Just want the same functionality that is available as standard in new MY15, given this is the update we have been led to believe would be happening in May.

I await their response and will let you know how I get on.
Old May 19th, 2014, 11:12   #10
Flux
Premier Member

Still awaiting a response from my dealer as to whether MY14.5 will get the sensus upgraded functionality of the MY15.

Also checked with Volvo HQ and had their official response - they advise that they are not a technical team and will not be able to advise, one way or another, whether this will be available and that I should approach my dealer for clarification.

So, I await clarification from my dealer now....

Surely if this is a software upgrade why wouldn't it automatically be available on a car which was only built 2 months ago. I was under the impression the enhancements made to MY15 were mainly cosmetic. Does anyone else know yet what the score is on this or been advised by their dealer? I'd like option for wifi connection as bluetooth is flaky and doesn't work well if you're using the internet and making a phone call at the same time.