Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Wants
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

MOT mare: help save a 28 year old orphan!

Views : 1247

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 29th, 2014, 17:41   #1
BigGreenThing

Default MOT mare: help save a 28 year old orphan!

Hi folks,

MOT today. All good EXCEPT a rusted offside front coil spring mounting. It is "badly corroded and seriously weakened" according to the reasons for refusal.

Am urgently looking for a replacement (within the next ten working days to get free re-test :-).

Can collect from 100 mile radius of Brighton area, outside of that range I'm willing to pay a bomb for post and packaging!

I'm only after the coil spring mounting...shocks and bearings etc etc all good!

IF I can't save this beauty it's gonna have to be scrapped I think....

Any help welcomed!

Cheers

JG
BigGreenThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2014, 18:25   #2
Antz
No I'm not the redhead

Like this:http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/321627579566

Or ring places like T J Stone in Hull who will post you a leg.

Swap a T5 motor into your RWD Volvo:The Guide
Antz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2014, 18:34   #3
Suterman
240 Turbo

or lakes volvo
1985 Bedford CF2 B230E
Suterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2014, 18:40   #4
BigGreenThing

Antz, Suterman....many thanks!

The ebay link has everything apart from the bit I need which is the guard or "cup" which is the bit I need.

Will try Lakes in Wyboston (had bits from them before...many moons ago). Forgotten they were still going!! Was only up the road in Brampton on the 23rd!

Thanks again fellas.

JG
Old Dec 29th, 2014, 18:43   #5
Steve and his 244
VOC Member

The cup is non-removable. Its part of the strut. Yes, you wont need the actual spring and shock absorber etc because you will be able to transfer all your old ones into the new strut, but you will need a whole replacement strut.

You can see what I mean in the second pic on that ebay link.
2003 titanium grey V70R auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by john h
That Steve is a very bad influence.
Steve and his 244 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve and his 244 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 29th, 2014, 20:57   #6
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

I would asume that yours must be a fairly early 240 as the later struts do not suffer from this problem. We used to repair the struts a lot 20 years ago but much less common to do now as there are so few of the early cars left.

Provided it is not a GLT strut the one in the link will sort you out. Ideally get a pair as the bearings will be bigger in that one in the ebay link so you will need to use the bearings that come with it.

If you want to stay original I can sort out a repaired early strut for you but would want some more details about your 240 to make sure you get the correct one
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 31st, 2014, 13:41   #7
BigGreenThing

Hi classicswede,

Many thanks for your response. In answer to your questions:

It's a Volvo 240 GLE (sometimes referred to as a 244 I believe). It's the saloon version. It rolled off the Gothenburg production line on 5th January 1987.

I'm not getting any answer from Lakes Volvo, and to be honest, the last time I was there 240's were a little thin on the ground....plenty of 700 and 900 series though!

Attached are piccies of the ONE strut that couldn't make it through the MOT and another of the car itself...

I had a look at the strut on ebay. Compared to mine (minus the "cup" bit) it looks well knacked, I'm sure there must be plenty of these old struts knocking around the UK...they jut seem rare as hen's teeth at the moment!

Cheers, and Happy New Year all!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000537.jpg (190.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Volvo.jpg (256.3 KB, 15 views)
Old Jan 1st, 2015, 16:55   #8
BigGreenThing

@ Antz (and others).

I found this on ebay today: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Repair-Pan...item43d45544de

This is the "cup" that cups the suspension spring...which is the exact bit I need replacing in order to renew my MOT. Haynes doesn't specify that this can, cannot be removed. My thoughts are, that after 28 years, the "cup" will be welded on with rust and not worth it...but I really don't know.

I'm kind of reluctant to get a whole new unit because everything else (nuts/bearing etc etc) are all fine....however, if it's easier to obtain a whole new unit, then I may have to go with that.

Has anybody tried to just replace the strut cup at all?
Old Jan 1st, 2015, 17:18   #9
Antz
No I'm not the redhead

For the sake of £30 Id fit a replacement unit. Declaring a unit on ebay looks a bit knacked is a big of a weird call when the one on your car has a big rust hole in it and IS knacked.

Its far easier to buy a replacement unit that hasn't rusted out (these early units suffered from this) and then just go with that instead.

Imagine the cost of £30 for the new cup, labour to take it apart, fit the enw cup and put it back together against the cost of a replacement leg and a quick swap over.

Speak to TJ Stone Volvo spares (google for the number), they had loads, also speak to ClassicSwede and a couple of other people. A replacement unit will probably you abut the same as that cup is.

Swap a T5 motor into your RWD Volvo:The Guide
Antz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Antz For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 1st, 2015, 17:36   #10
BigGreenThing

Thanks for your help Antz! Much appreciated! Yeah mine, as you can see, is well and truly knacked, with a rust whole the size of the Isle of Wight in it! :-).

I'll be onto TJs as soon as they're open for business.

Cheers.