Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

PoleStar upgrade

Views : 3011

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 17th, 2015, 18:28   #1
villarsch

Default PoleStar upgrade

The local Volvo dealer has asked if I want my 2015 MY T5 fitted with the PoleStar upgrade. Does anyone have experience of this upgrade? It seems quite expensive for just a software change.

Villarsch
villarsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2015, 18:49   #2
Marc01

How much have you been quoted?
Marc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2015, 18:52   #3
villarsch

They quoted about £800 plus 10% on my insurance premium. Are these figures about right?

Villarsch
Old Jun 17th, 2015, 23:43   #4
don kalmar union
Trader

Default Volvo's pincode banditry.

This is indeed a rip off.

The only reason these stitch ups can be maintained is solely because Volvo have introduced a pincode system that prevents anyone other than a dealer from making any software changes that a customer may reasonable wish to have carried out on HIS car.

The pincode banditry gets worse because it covers ALL aspects of the vehicle's electrical systems thus ensuring the ability of the network to STITCH YOU UP.

Additionally, unlike their contemporaries Volvo make these pincodes vehicle specific.

This racket is a fundamental breach of one of the EU's founding principles... namely exploiting a dominant market position.

Best not to buy the car.... if you do this PINCODE BANDITRY allows dealers to have you over a barrel at every turn.

Don.

MTE performance software , TME and Ferrita stainless exhausts, AP heavy duty clutch kits, KU single mass flywheels and LSDs. 01494 785508. email don@kalmar-union.com

www.kalmar-union.com
don kalmar union is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2015, 00:24   #5
CJL
Master Member

It is expensive, but it's the only way you will increase the engine power and maintain you warranty.

800 is too much. There are some offers on at the moment. Do a search... been quite a few threads on Polestar upgrades lately.
CJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2015, 14:42   #6
anton differing

Given that a T5 already appears to have sufficient horses to fly an aeroplane, why would anyone want it?
anton differing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2015, 17:40   #7
villarsch

The main reason for the Polestar upgrade is that there is a significant increase in torque, rather than an increase in top speed. But I may have to be patient. Apparently Volvo UK are planning to introduce a Polestar V40 with approximately 300+ bhp!

Villarsch
Old Jun 19th, 2015, 01:05   #8
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton differing View Post
Given that a T5 already appears to have sufficient horses to fly an aeroplane, why would anyone want it?
You tend to get used to a cars performance the more you use it, and that is where the 'want more' comes from I suppose.

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2015, 17:21   #9
villarsch

Interesting point. According to the PoleStar details there are benefits in using the upgrade, as follows "The hands of a driver with good judgement result in better engine performance and increased passive safety in traffic".
This is a driving style to which I am sure all Volvo drivers aspire.

Villarsch
Old Aug 29th, 2015, 16:04   #10
villarsch

Well, the Polestar optimisation has now been fitted. It has improved the car, making it smoothly responsive, particularly when slowing down using engine braking. It accelerates more easily with minimum fuss. In fact, it really ought to be the standard level of performance. Is it worth the money? This is much more subjective but on balance and with the VOC discount, it is perhaps just acceptable.

Villarsch