Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Are XC60 owners happy?

Views : 136961

Replies : 495

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Are you happy with your XC60?
Overall happy, no significant issues 441 64.66%
Overall happy, but minor issues 188 27.57%
Unhappy, significant issues 35 5.13%
Very unhappy, never again 18 2.64%
Voters: 682. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 28th, 2015, 20:14   #311
GJB
Premier Member

Exclamation Pre purchase checks

Surely you had a look at the XC60 before you purchased it 90% of what you are moaning about would have been noticeable before you purchased unless you purchased blind?
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2015, 21:20   #312
blawreoooo

Default Wow

Sounds like you should have bought a Skoda.
Old Jun 28th, 2015, 21:31   #313
AngloScot
Master Member

My exact thoughts - Trade it in for a Skoda.

There are a couple of things that I am not 100% over the moon with - but I Don't think there is a car on the market that is bang-on in every area.
Old Jun 28th, 2015, 23:46   #314
inego

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngloScot View Post
My exact thoughts - Trade it in for a Skoda.
I also went Skoda-XC60. A couple of the minor gripes I get - I knew the boot was smaller before purchase, but the door pockets are annoying with the rattling - but overall the XC60 is better in every other way.
Old Jun 28th, 2015, 23:55   #315
Chief inspector
Master Member

The hand brake is plainly modelled on the Mercedes foot operated parking brake, it's been released by pulling out a handle in the same place that Volvo put the switch.....that's released by pulling it.

I've had a lot if cars,some way more expensive than the XC60, none were perfect, for example:

the E class, which can, if driven lightly cruise at 55 mpg....has an instant mpg read out that only goes up to 40mpg, so it's maxed out all the time.

I've never had a car that the auto wipers worked properly.

One bit of cheapness on the XC60, why isn't the cargo net integrated into the load cover case like most other makes?

I never drove the XC60 before I bought it, but it's smooth and quiet for a 4 pot diesel.

I noticed today that there is a lot of wind noise round the mirror on the passenger side compared to the drivers, but I think I seen in here that it's fixable.

I detailed it myself this weekend and the paint is probably the first car I've ever had that had no visible paint defects.

It's sealed under ZFX activated Zaino Z2 pro if anyone is interested, wheels have bilt hamber auto balm. Didn't need cut really so used light passes just with a porter cable DA.
Old Jun 29th, 2015, 00:28   #316
NigelDay
Premier Member

As I've commented before, every car in this sector has deficiencies, some small, some quite significant. My decision analysis spreadsheet was on the go for two years. I learnt a lot, especially about the little things which you 'assume' are there in model X, but when you drill down into the detailed specification and ask the right questions, are not. One example. The Nissan X-Trail is 'loaded' with safety kit and sensors, but when you ask the question "does it have active cruise control", the answer is no. Bizarre. I can pick fault with every car on my shortlist. A methodical decision analysis looks at 'musts' and 'wants'. The XC60 has all of my 'musts' and most of my 'wants'. Others will have a different set of priorities. After four days, I am still very happy with the choice I made. I am quietly confident I will remain so. It's a lot of money to spend on a mistake !
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2015, 03:10   #317
ashadam

[QUOTE=Fellwalker;1938569]

The power comes as a surge rather than a rush, despite its claimed 0-60. [LIST] Is the R Design Model different to yours as I get the exact opposite with the power.
[*]no carrier bag hangers at the sides of the boot - I can see some coat hangers getting bent to deal with this. I have never had vehicle with these, this can not be important unless you spend your time shopping.
[*]the top of the rear bumper is like soft cheese; it is already scratched despite taking great care. So you made a mistake, scratched your car and want to blame Volvo.

The supposed sunglasses holders that replace the grab handles are ridiculously priced, and how do I get to them without moving my left hand across my face? very dangerous IMHO. I will have to agree a total joke I have never owned car where you need purchase sunglasses holder but would not use one anyway.
[*]The trip computer is limited. I'd like two trip measures of av consumption, speed and elapsed time, like I've been used to for 10 years. One should auto reset sooner than the awkward to get to bar graph on the main display. Totally agree.
[*]FUEL CONSUMPTION is nowhere near stated in the book. Yes I know it is a calculated official number but really... 1400 miles in and I'm getting 40 overall (claimed 60.1), compared to previous 43 (claimed 47.1). If anything I'm driving with a lighter right foot to ease the car in. This is well reported I got lower MPG on vehicle I had for weekend you should of know this if important.
[*]That electric brake is counter intuitive. I feel I should pull it to put it on, and push it in to take it off. It is doing my head in. seriously doing my head in. This is really minor you will get used to it.
[*]The car is so smart with cameras front and back, yet I need an aftermarket DashCam. Volvo don't do one and the dealer was initially not sure what I meant. Sorry what does this do?
[*]the sat Nav is OK, but not worth the price. Once the destination is found it works fine, but it doesn't always like finding the destination. POIs in particular are a right pain. I've found a couple eventually despite a name search showing they didn't exist. It has to search Europe wide, so it would be better if you could restrict it to one country or choose which countries it should search as a default setting.
[*] talking of mudflaps, the front ones are so small they don't actually stop the mud getting on the side of the car.
[*]I wish it was narrower. it is a huge lump of a car. Did you not test drive?
[*]the door mirrors only fold partially, it's not like they fold parallel to the car.
I have to agree had them on my test car.
[*] I'd like a gear indication so I know which gear the car is in. The only way to get this is by manually changing. Why would you need to know what gear you are in when in auto.

I don't think you have one major issue just enjoy vehicle you're stuck with it now.
Old Jun 29th, 2015, 04:18   #318
USA NH

[QUOTE=ashadam;1938802]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellwalker View Post

The power comes as a surge rather than a rush, despite its claimed 0-60. [LIST] Is the R Design Model different to yours as I get the exact opposite with the power.
[*]no carrier bag hangers at the sides of the boot - I can see some coat hangers getting bent to deal with this. I have never had vehicle with these, this can not be important unless you spend your time shopping.
[*]the top of the rear bumper is like soft cheese; it is already scratched despite taking great care. So you made a mistake, scratched your car and want to blame Volvo.

The supposed sunglasses holders that replace the grab handles are ridiculously priced, and how do I get to them without moving my left hand across my face? very dangerous IMHO. I will have to agree a total joke I have never owned car where you need purchase sunglasses holder but would not use one anyway.
[*]The trip computer is limited. I'd like two trip measures of av consumption, speed and elapsed time, like I've been used to for 10 years. One should auto reset sooner than the awkward to get to bar graph on the main display. Totally agree.
[*]FUEL CONSUMPTION is nowhere near stated in the book. Yes I know it is a calculated official number but really... 1400 miles in and I'm getting 40 overall (claimed 60.1), compared to previous 43 (claimed 47.1). If anything I'm driving with a lighter right foot to ease the car in. This is well reported I got lower MPG on vehicle I had for weekend you should of know this if important.
[*]That electric brake is counter intuitive. I feel I should pull it to put it on, and push it in to take it off. It is doing my head in. seriously doing my head in. This is really minor you will get used to it.
[*]The car is so smart with cameras front and back, yet I need an aftermarket DashCam. Volvo don't do one and the dealer was initially not sure what I meant. Sorry what does this do?
[*]the sat Nav is OK, but not worth the price. Once the destination is found it works fine, but it doesn't always like finding the destination. POIs in particular are a right pain. I've found a couple eventually despite a name search showing they didn't exist. It has to search Europe wide, so it would be better if you could restrict it to one country or choose which countries it should search as a default setting.
[*] talking of mudflaps, the front ones are so small they don't actually stop the mud getting on the side of the car.
[*]I wish it was narrower. it is a huge lump of a car. Did you not test drive?
[*]the door mirrors only fold partially, it's not like they fold parallel to the car.
I have to agree had them on my test car.
[*] I'd like a gear indication so I know which gear the car is in. The only way to get this is by manually changing. Why would you need to know what gear you are in when in auto.

I don't think you have one major issue just enjoy vehicle you're stuck with it now.
I am glad I am not the only one who thought it was ridiculous To have to purchase a sunglasses holder. I bought 1 on the driver side door.
USA NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2015, 09:38   #319
Fellwalker

I had thought this thread was a useful place to state the items that, had I been given a hand in the design, I'd have done differently. Some of these issues, like the size of boot, were of course blindingly obvious before purchase. But if you look at the empty spaces around the boot edge, you'll see that there was scope to make it bigger.

No where in my post did I suggest that I was unhappy with my choice of car, just aspects of it. My vote was overall happy with minor issues.

I too had a spreadsheet with dimensions, must haves and would likes. I've compared specs on hundreds, looked at many tens (with my golf gear) and driven approaching 20 cars, The XC60 came closest. I'm not stuck with it; it is the best match to my needs and desires. However, it isn't perfect, and surely at least one of the aspects I have highlighted strikes a chord with every other owner.

No car is perfect. Skoda isn't. The new Octavia is smoother and quieter but it is bigger in every way; yet loses the foot rest I referred to. In a car with a low seating position, that was the deal breaker. I tried and tried but could not find a comfortable position for my right foot when using cruise control. The yeti is pathetically small inside, its boot does not even fit one set of clubs let alone a trolley too. And the fabia "spaceback" has less boot space than the fabia on which it is based. And I've said these things on the skoda forum and to skoda. If you keep quiet, no one will ever know you are less than wholly delighted, and they'll continue doing the same things.

As this is THE forum in the UK for volvos, I had in some tiny way hoped that the people of Volvo design might read it, and think about their design for the future.

I was a bit surprised at the reactions. I hadn't expected volvo owners to be so intensely happy with their cars that they cannot see other views have validity.
Old Jun 29th, 2015, 11:31   #320
Considered1
Premier Member

I am not one for jumping on people who post with good intent which I am sure you did but you really need to read some of your posts again as sadly they loose you all credibility eg

I wish it was narrower. it is a huge lump of a car.

I nearly didnt bother....
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Considered1 For This Useful Post: