Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Petrol or Diesel : Which one?

Views : 664

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 18th, 2006, 11:41   #1
CH76UTB

Question Petrol or Diesel : Which one?

Hi, I'm seriously considering swapping the 740 estate for a 940 estate and to date have just considered the petrol versions. Any advice on the diesel engined versions would be much appreciated.
The advice on the brickboard site tends to be anti-diesel...probably because they're relatively uncommon in the USA.
Would appreciate any advice on the versions available and their reliability.
Thanks
Colin
CH76UTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 12:41   #2
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Personally I'd go for the turbo-petrol version over all else, followed by the later turbo-diesel, followed by a non turbo petrol.

The turbo diesel is a VW unit that is also found in the LT35 (?) van amongst other applications - which is good in one way (commercial use, so it must be reliable and long lasting) but bad in another (noisy and under powered). However, if you're prepared to spend a bit of money as Peter Milnes did, you could end up with a 170bhp+ turbo diesel monster returning a regular 30mpg.

Turbo diesels are slow during initial acceleration (huge turbo lag on the '96 TD model that I test drove last year), so you won't be leaving any rubber stripes at the traffic lights, however in more realistic conditions, mid range pickup is usually very punchy. Beware though - that iron block six cylinder engine is VERY heavy and the car suffers from pronounced understeer as a result. Maintenance is more regular, but as all (?) Volvo 700/900 TD engines have mechanical and not electronic components, its pretty straightforward and parts are easy to come by.

Hopefully Peter will write back shortly with the benefits of the particular Volvo TD engines, and correct me where I'm mistaken - its isn't something I'm familiar with.

The choice is yours - depends upon your driving style in the end. Hope this helps.
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 11:44   #3
bogart
Master Member

Having just replaced my 940TD with a 2.0L turbo petrol I might as well give my tuppence worth. The diesel was very reliable, the only reason the car was disposed of was because of other items ie brake discs in need of replacement etc and just wasn't a viable proposition to do so. I never really noticed it suffering from understeer, maybe I got used to it. Cannot say I've really noticed any difference in driving manner between the two. What I have noticed is the mpg! diesel average about 35mpg petrol about 23mpg. I used the diesel to tow a caravan for years and it was fine.
Biggest hate of the diesel was the noise. Being an original fit for a VW van it wasn't designed with quietness in mind, maybe the later ones are of a different design, I do not know.
Only the block is VW the head is a Volvo aluminium one which cracked on mine and was told was not an uncommon experience.
If you get the diesel just look after the fuel pump as it is the heart of any diesel engine. These days with fuels having less sulphur in them than in the past the pump could wear out sooner as they rely on the sulphur for lubrication. I do believe though you can get sulphur additives so all may be well in that respect.

Regards
bogart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 01:22   #4
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

There are very few problems with the diesel engined versions especially after 1993. This year the diesels got hydraulic tappets (much quieter and no need to adjust every 20,000 miles), a cambelt tensioner (relieving the strain on the water pump used to adjust tension on previous models) and revised swirl chambers. Contrary to popular belief they can be tuned very successfully, my own producing around 185bhp and benefitting from using 100% Biodiesel (better fuel pump lubrication, sweeter smelling exhaust, better mpg and even more power (if making your own costs 32p per Litre). With the hydraulic tappets the engine is much quieter running. I have a hard job keeping my towing speed DOWN to 60 mph on Motorways! If you "customise" the interior (like 960 interior and seating) you will find it hard to distinguish from the 960 & S/V90 models.

The power is not gained at the expense of mpg mine has a better figure than when I obtained the car (around 38mpg pootling about). Also my car does not exhibit any understeer as it has the turbo model antiroll bar (22mm diameter) compared to the 21mm bar of non turbo cars.

e-Bay has a 940 and a couple of 740 diesels at the moment.

All the best, Peter.
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 13:22   #5
CH76UTB

Default Thanks for your replies

Many thanks for all the replies. Just need to make my mind up now and take the plunge.
regards
Colin
CH76UTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 13:51   #6
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Bio deisel is a very good clean fuel and I hope it becomes more popular. If you go down the petrol engine line then dont forget about lpg. The volvo engines run very well on lpg and can be a very nice money saving conversion.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2006, 02:13   #7
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Yes Dai. Most of the big fuel manufacturers (BP, Shell, Texaco etc) add Biodiesel (5%) to their Ultra-low Sulphur diesel to improve the lubrication (and thus longevity) of the Fuel Pump. Unfortunately not many supermarket fuels have the same fuel treatment, which is why Fuel and injector cleaner is vital if you use supermarket fuels.

All the best, Peter.
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote