Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

960 Spark Plugs Removal

Views : 862

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 16th, 2006, 12:52   #1
BILLHARRIS

Hi
I Have A 960 Staight Six, 24valve Auto.i Believe The Engine Is A B6254.
The Problem Is Getting To The Spark Plugs.i Cant Get The Metal Cover Off Which Is Above The Plugs. I Have Removed The Visable Bolts And Screws. Is There Some Method That I Just Cant Suss.
Any Help Would Be Much Appreciated
Many Thanks
Bill
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 14:30   #2
migrator
Aye - him again

The cover should be held on by six torx-head bolts. Once these have been removed, the cover should come away. I use a screwdriver under the edge at the front to get things started. At the rear of the engine - where the ignition leads all come in under the top cover there is a tight fitting grommet that attaches to the cover and the head. This may be hoilding things together a bit for you. Again, the cover should slide (upwards) free of this.

(Ouch - that's another knuckle ...)
VOC 11817
migrator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 16:59   #3
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

It can stick to the cam cover sometimes, so some gentle levering around all the edges can help. What happens is that you can get a slight oil leak from the breather pipe and this oil gets very sticky and takes a liking for the plastic. Once you get the cover off, clean off the cover and any oily mess you find. Leaks here are fairly common, so don't worry too much about them as long as they're small.

Once its off, you'll have to take off the coilpacks that sit over the plugs - one per cylinder/plug. Be careful with the wiring on these, and that you replace the wiring in the correct location so as not to pinch it when replacing the plastic cover.
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 17:39   #4
BILLHARRIS

Many Thanks Lads I'll Have Another Attempt Tomorrow.
Hands Have Had Enough Cold For One Day.

P.s. Volvo Should Do Knuckle Protectors!
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 10:17   #5
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Hi Bill,

I've uploaded a very early website to my development web - if you look at the 960 tour and then go to the engine bay you'll see what lies ahead for you. You'll need an extension bar on the spark plug socket btw!

http://www.sheffieldsam.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

All the best,
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 13:21   #6
BILLHARRIS

Cheers RT very clear pictures.
After seeing them i now realise i have been trying to remove the injector rails. After buying this car i said to myself " I'm going to learn and do all the servicing myself." What a start. I'm only glad i didnt pull to hard.

So thanks again. I'm nipping off home now to have another go.

P.s. Injector rails a bit of a begger to get off.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 18:59   #7
BILLHARRIS

It Just Gets Worse!!
After Replacing The Six Screws (the Ones On The Injector Rails That Is) Clipping The Hose Back In Place, Putting The Spring Clips Back On The Six Leads.dropping One Down The Back, Lost Forever,placing The Clip-on Metal Cover Over The Whole Lot, I Was Ready To Start The Plugs.

I've Only Gone And Stripped One Of The Torx Head Bolts.
Any Tactics?

P.s. Yes I Am New To Mechanics!
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 20:26   #8
minstrel
VOC Member

Yes, Torx screws can be a bit of a pain. I nearly had a similar problem with the set screws holding the thermostat housing. I could sense that the splines were about to strip so I stopped just in time.

The mechanic who does most of my service work showed me a simple trick, he used the old faithful "big hammer" well not too big, and tapped the Torx bit firmly into the head so that the full depth of the splines was used. Of course tapping the set screws can ease them also. Anyway, after this treatment the set screw came out OK. So now I always make sure that the Torx bit is well seated before applying force.

For your problem I would try a small chisel in the hole and try to tap at the edge to turn the screw.

Hope that helps.
minstrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 01:41   #9
migrator
Aye - him again

I used a slightly larger torx bit and forced it into the torx screw with the use of a 2 lb club hammer. It went in and the screw came out. You could also use an old screwdriver (flat or cross-head) that is big enough to jam into the screw head. The use of the hammer is also required. Final alternative is to try to cut a slot in the screw head but this is a bit of a problem because the screw is recessed. If you can do this, clamp the screwdriver with a pair of mole grips to get the leverage. New screws from Volvo are quite cheap.

Good luck. (If you break the cover I am open to offers on one I have here!)

(Ouch - that's another knuckle ...)
VOC 11817
migrator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 19:06   #10
BILLHARRIS

Screwdriver+hammer+wrench Worked A Treat,finally Got To The Plugs And Changed Them,well Chuffed, A Giant Leap For Me! So Many Thanks For All The Help.

But It Still Wont Start!

What Originally Happened Was:
The Car Had Been Left For 4 Days On A Hill With The Back End Up Very Low On Fuel. I Tried To Start It, It Was Turning Over And Nearly There But Just Couldnt Get It. I Thought I'd Ran Out Of Fuel So I Fetched Fuel And Put 5 Ltrs In. Still Wouldnt Start.after A While The Battery Went Flat So I Bought A New Battery (as The One In There Was The Wrong Size Anyway) Still No Start.thats When I Plumped (incorrectly) For The Spark Plugs.changed Them And Have Located A Small Amount Of Carbon Fouling On Them If Thats Anything To Go On.

Went To Start Her Up And Back To Square One.

Any Recommendations On What To Do Next.

Cheers
Bill (i'm Starting To Get Desperate) Harris