Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

'04 to '10 facelift upgrade: The Rear Lights. Help!?

Views : 2053

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 7th, 2012, 19:32   #1
andybsl55

Lightbulb '04 to '10 facelift upgrade: The Rear Lights. Help!?

Hi,

I'm preparing to undertake the R-Design upgrade to my 55 2.0D - I've read the two threads that detail this procedure....

One aspect I'd very much like some more information is regarding changing of the rear lights - I have the facelift lights & bulb holders; brand new.

Quoting 'BenB' in regards to his V50 he states -

"Instead of cutting all of the wires off, I found that if you prise out the orange bit from the front of the plug (it only comes out 4mm or so) it frees up the pins from the back, so by shoving a tiny screwdriver down the back you can wiggle and free the pin itself and just insert the pin into the new plug. Much more OEM than loads of cut and soldered wires"

Could some elaborate to this further...? Maybe a picture thrown in as well?

I'll document my progress as I go with pictures to assist people who take on the challenge in the future...!

Thanks,

Andy
Old Mar 7th, 2012, 21:10   #2
BenB
V50 Driver

When you fit the new lights, the connector/plug from you '04 lights won't fit the new lights. Bear that in mind if you buy a rear light from a breaker - you need the connector block too. You need to one by one follow the bulb positions on the '04 lights, make a note of which bulb is which. Then follow the metal tracks in the light by eye, and make a note of which pin on the connector block is for indicator, which is rear light, which is fog / reverse etc. Then you need to label the wires, pull the pins out of the connector block and figure out the locations of the bulbs on the '08 lights, so you can push your car's pins into the right holes on the '08 connector plug.

Did my head in a bit to be honest, but the one easy bit was that the pins come out of the blocks so easily(They don't fall out, did take a bit of a fiddle!), so not actual cutting or soldering was needed (I may be wrong, it was a while ago, can't remember doing any!!)

When you look at your connector plug, the front end (not the end the wires go in) has a little orange tab on it. Pull that tab out, and the pins come free from the back (with a bit of a shove with a tiny screwdriver, and a bit of a wiggle they eventually come free!) Then you just pull the same tab out on the new connector plug and push the pins into it.
If you test your new lights and one bulb is wrong, it's just as easy to switch a couple of pins around without a cut wire in sight!

If you unplug one of your rear lights right now and take a look you'll see the little orange tab on the front of it.

Hope that helps. Sorry I can't help you with specifics like wire colours, pin locations or anything, but do it systematically and it's not too hard!
BenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2012, 22:27   #3
andybsl55

Thanks for the prompt response.

So I don't have all the parts required..?

I'll get in touch with a few breakers; I need the light connector block for the rear lights from an 08 on model...? Got it.
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 09:03   #4
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Really need to get my front end parts sprayed and put on the car so I can get on with getting the back done too.

You do realise you can't just change the lights? You need to change the rear bumper too or you will end up with a couple of inch gap between the bottom of the new lights and the old bumper.

The new lights are shorter than the old and the new bumper longer than the the old.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 13:26   #5
andybsl55

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyVaio View Post
Really need to get my front end parts sprayed and put on the car so I can get on with getting the back done too.

You do realise you can't just change the lights? You need to change the rear bumper too or you will end up with a couple of inch gap between the bottom of the new lights and the old bumper.

The new lights are shorter than the old and the new bumper longer than the the old.

Yep well aware - R Design bumper at the bodyshop being sprayed as we speak.
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 19:31   #6
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybsl55 View Post
Yep well aware - R Design bumper at the bodyshop being sprayed as we speak.
Happy days, must get some pics up when done.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 20:58   #7
BenB
V50 Driver

Ask Volvo for a price on the connector plugs - they can't cost too much - especially if the pins inside them are transferred from the old.

I can't remember if there are the same number of pins, or if one of the new ones had to have a join or something bridged from another wire somewhere. I'll try and have a peek in my car tomorrow. I think they new light has two bulbs in two positions for the red rear lights. I can't remember if there are two pins on the block for these, or just one pin.

Also, have a look at the upper part, where the brake light part connects (funny long strip). Have a look if the '04 one fits the new light. I seem to remember it does, so it's only the connection for the main bulbs you have to get a new one of. Like I said, it's been so long I can't remember!
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 14:12   #8
andybsl55

Really having a hard time finding these connectors...

Not found a breaker with them in - could anyone supply a part number...?

Pretty sure people are confusing my request for the connector with the actual bulb holder...
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 14:38   #9
BenB
V50 Driver

I just had a look and the only part numbers I can see are pretty short, not sure the dealerships would find much from them. Here they are anyway:

PBT-GF15 Looks like the whole plug assembly (drivers side)
The orange part has a number 'PA1 3' and the grey part 'PB1 4' but I'd say the first one is the whole assembly. Looks like left and right are the same, get them to check.

One thing I did notice in my car though, was a wire I had to run from further up the light, down to the main connector plug.

(Looking on the passenger side) In the upper inspection/bulb panel I have a blue wire, that I had to cut, and run a cable down to the lower block. I can't remember, but possibly on the '04 light there was a connector here? Looks like I removed the connector and ran the blue cable down to the green & yellow on the new connector. The other of the blue wire is spliced onto the orange/white. (These colours are on my Passenger side!) Maybe Orange & white is the ground?? I can't remember, you'll have to check.

Don't follow this and go cutting anything! Just bear in mind there's probably something up there that you will have to run down to the lower main light connector. My connectors each have 5 wires in use. If the current '04 connector has 4 pins, then you will need to get a breakers to actually cut them of a car for you so you have a bit of wire still connected to play with!

Sorry again for my vagueness! I did do it a while ago and I didn't make any notes at the time!
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 15:34   #10
andybsl55

Hi again,

Rang Volvo with that information & they insisted it isn't a Volvo part... I know I'm dealing with incompetence.

This is a rather large ask - but I am clutching at straws... - could you possibly take a picture of the offending parts that I require...?

I could take a photo to the dealer & point at what I'm after...