Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1997 V90 - The Dreaded Flashing Transmission Lights

Views : 1380

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 14th, 2006, 00:35   #1
Nick Blake

Default 1997 V90 - The Dreaded Flashing Transmission Lights

Hi Everyone,

I'm the proud owner of a 1997 V90 3.0 - A car which has been all-but perfect for the last two years I have owned it.

Until this morning that is - when, pulling away from a junction just round the corner from my house - all of a sudden I have next to no "go". A glance at the dash reveals a flashing orange arrow, and the mode selector lights by the gearstick are alternating between "S" and "W". Yes, I am stuck in "limp" mode!

Some wiggling and "rowing" of the gear selector doesn't help any, so I do a quick (well slow, actually) U-turn, park back up and use alternative means for the trip to work.

Now, I have to say that I'm kind of assuming that this is my PNP switch playing up (as an occasional lurker I'm familiar with other people's experiences of this problem), as I have had no problems with the transmission before now except for the fact that my reverse lights are a bit intermittent.

The car is scheduled for it's next service in a couple of weeks, and there is a transmission flush planned at the same time (97,000 odd miles on the clock, so seemed like a good idea). Ideally I'd prefer not to have to take the car anywhere to be looked at prior to this, so any advice as to how I might be able to get by for a short while would be much appreciated.

One thing I don't know is how to clear the flashing lights - I've read the FAQ about this, but it only seems to apply to earlier cars. I've also heard a couple of mentions about pulling "fuse 14", but this doesn't seem to make sense according to the fuse info in the handbook.
I have tried pulling fuses 1 and 6 (Engine control & auto trans. control) from fuse box B under the bonnet - but this didn't make any difference.

Any ideas at all?

Many Thanks,
Nick.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 01:22   #2
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Thoroughly check the wiring to the PNP switch and the Mode (W-S-E switch). Both PNP and Mode switches can give rise to this problem. Check the OBD (for gearbox)codes and let me know which ones are showing, then I can offer you some steps to take after consulting the Green Book.

Volvo do not recommend any ATF flush/replace activity for the life of the car, but I recommend a flush/replace at 100,000 miles intervals, using fully synthetic ATF. This is for all autos for 960/850/S&V70/S&V90 and all subsequent electroniucally controlled autoboxes and the M90 manual box.

All the bes, Peter.
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 18:28   #3
Nick Blake

Thanks Peter for the quick reply.

I assume I'm right in thinking that the only way to get the OBD code is with an external reader (unlike the older cars that apparently had an LED and button somewhere)?

Also, is a reader/scanner the only way to reset the fault code, or can some fuses be pulled, or would it even reset itself if the fault is corrected?

Thanks again,
Nick.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 19:48   #4
donhay

Question

I seem to remember having this problem just before the gear selector switch gave up the ghost!!
donhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 20:24   #5
topsy

Default flashing g/box lamps

sounds like the gearbox selector switch. My 960(1995. 3Ltr)had the same problem but with intemittent non start(no starter) and intermittent Reverse lamps. fitted a new switch assy. and all has been fine since . it is a pig to get off but I stripped my old one down and it may be possible to clean up the contacts to achieve the same result and save £100.00. Good Luck
topsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 02:19   #6
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Nick, you are correct about the OBD. The connector should be on the console by the gearlever under a little lid. There are several makes of scanner available and even a kit of bits to make one! I will see if I can come up with a website and let you know.

All the best, Peter.
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 05:44   #7
sidmon

I didnt realise that the newer OBD2 for '96 on Volvos read transmission faults...I read somewhere that it doesnt...but I'm probably going barmy...by the way Nick I have the same problem....except I get it when the car is cold....I couldnt find the PnP switch on VADIS either so have no part number for a new one...I think we will be looking at main dealer only for the part unfortunately!
sidmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 23:29   #8
Nick Blake

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidmon
...by the way Nick I have the same problem....except I get it when the car is cold....
Hi Sidmon,
How do you reset the code - does it go away by itself...?
Regards,
Nick.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 23:35   #9
Nick Blake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Milnes
Nick, you are correct about the OBD. The connector should be on the console by the gearlever under a little lid. There are several makes of scanner available and even a kit of bits to make one! I will see if I can come up with a website and let you know.

All the best, Peter.
Thanks again Peter, I am currently trying to find someone who can read the code for me. Been to a couple of local garages, but as soon as I say Volvo they just shake their heads... If I can find a reasonably priced reader that I can be sure will work (a lot of them seem to say 'not Volvo') then I'll pick it up.
A kit of parts may be the best bet actually - I'm reasonably handy with a soldering iron so that's not a problem.
Failing all that I may have no choice but to resort to a main dealer (shudder)!
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 20:58   #10
sidmon

Nick, the lights will go away after a while (Usually about a week) but to clear them yourself you do pull fuse 14....but it may need doing a few times...sometimes it takes me 6 times before they go out! Let me know if you find a decent OBD2 that works for the transmission as I'd be very interested!
sidmon is offline   Reply With Quote