Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

The Joy Of 240's, with issues...

Views : 57802

Replies : 272

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 22nd, 2020, 21:26   #151
CosmicBike

Totally unrelated to my new parts arriving, but I was checking the sill drains on Thursday and pulled the carpet up, all dry as a bone which was nice. Anyway I digress. I noted a hole in the side of the drivers seat, about a third of the way up the back, on the side. It's factory cut, so am I missing a knob? Same exists on the passenger side, also knobless...
I can only imagine lumber support adjustment perhaps?
CosmicBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2020, 06:29   #152
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicBike View Post
Totally unrelated to my new parts arriving, but I was checking the sill drains on Thursday and pulled the carpet up, all dry as a bone which was nice. Anyway I digress. I noted a hole in the side of the drivers seat, about a third of the way up the back, on the side. It's factory cut, so am I missing a knob? Same exists on the passenger side, also knobless...
I can only imagine lumber support adjustment perhaps?
Like this one?...

... it is for the lumbar adjustment.

:-)

Last edited by Othen; Aug 23rd, 2020 at 06:32.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 23rd, 2020, 10:51   #153
CosmicBike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Like this one?...

... it is for the lumbar adjustment.

Thats it. Or at least thats where I have holes. I guess a poke around in the holes to see if there is a mechanism, I guess Volvo would only have made the holes if there was a knob to go with it. I have the owners manual so I guess it will be detailed in there.
Might be on the hunt for knobs now...
The Following User Says Thank You to CosmicBike For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 23rd, 2020, 11:31   #154
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Thats it. Or at least thats where I have holes. I guess a poke around in the holes to see if there is a mechanism, I guess Volvo would only have made the holes if there was a knob to go with it. I have the owners manual so I guess it will be detailed in there.
Might be on the hunt for knobs now...
It is probably worth checking there is something to attach them to before you buy some knobs, the driver's side mechanism was broken on the RB:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...&postcount=693

... which I fixed (perfectly adequately) for about a two quid with some GRP and SWR:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...&postcount=709

The seat is pretty easy to take apart, I think 4 bolts onto the floor, maybe an electrical connector if you have heated seats. After that remove the seat from the car and separate the seat from the back - I think there was an awkward very thin sort of circlip plate that comes off - and expose the bottom of the back of the seat cover which is fixed with a couple of metal coils. You can either uncoil these carefully or just cut them off and replace them with zip ties when you put them back together. Once the fasteners are undone you can slide the seat cover up enough to expose the lumbar support mechanism.

It is a pretty simple mechanism, a few bits of plastic and wire. Spare parts are scarce and were absurdly expensive when I looked - but with a bit of ingenuity it is probably possible to get it working with some sticky backed plastic (to quote Blue Peter 45 years ago).

PS. I've just found a picture that might help:

Last edited by Othen; Aug 23rd, 2020 at 11:59. Reason: Grammar.
Old Aug 26th, 2020, 21:42   #155
CosmicBike

Well that was easier thank expected. After a 12 hour night shift I grabbed a bit of sleep then decided to see if a few days of oil soaking had freed up all the exhaust clamps, which kind of led on to having a go at getting the old exhaust off. I cut the rear box off, and then club hammered the other joints apart.
The new one from Brookhouse went on very easily, even the rubber mounts didn't fight me too much.
Quieter? Oh yes!
Old Aug 27th, 2020, 18:43   #156
CosmicBike

Before the rain set in I figured I'd have a look at changing the engine mounts. Engine supported on a jack, the old one on the nearside came off very easily, since it was broken in half...
Getting the new one in was more of a challenge. The engine needed to go up more than I was happy to do to slot it in, so instead I unbolted the lower mount from the crossmember. Making it all line up was interesting, but finally done whilst getting rather wet.
Drivers side will have to wait for a few days, but just changing the one of them has made an incredible difference, when I bought the car I figured the engine was supposed to move that much!!
Old Aug 27th, 2020, 18:57   #157
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Before the rain set in I figured I'd have a look at changing the engine mounts. Engine supported on a jack, the old one on the nearside came off very easily, since it was broken in half...
Getting the new one in was more of a challenge. The engine needed to go up more than I was happy to do to slot it in, so instead I unbolted the lower mount from the crossmember. Making it all line up was interesting, but finally done whilst getting rather wet.
Drivers side will have to wait for a few days, but just changing the one of them has made an incredible difference, when I bought the car I figured the engine was supposed to move that much!!
I had exactly the same issue with the RB - and my word, doesn't it make a difference having an engine mount not in two parts!

Alan
Old Aug 28th, 2020, 12:47   #158
Othen
Premier Member

The driver's side is a bit more difficult:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...postcount=1347

Last edited by Othen; Aug 28th, 2020 at 12:50.
Old Aug 28th, 2020, 19:51   #159
CosmicBike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
The driver's side is a bit more difficult:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...postcount=1347
Thanks Alan. I guess that apart from the oil in the filter, little more will come out when removed since it's largely in the sump? I've only replaced the oil 700 miles ago so have no need to do that again..

That awkward bolt, do you reckon a ratchet spanner would do the trick without removing the alternator?
Old Aug 28th, 2020, 21:24   #160
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks Alan. I guess that apart from the oil in the filter, little more will come out when removed since it's largely in the sump? I've only replaced the oil 700 miles ago so have no need to do that again..

That awkward bolt, do you reckon a ratchet spanner would do the trick without removing the alternator?
You can just unscrew the filter and you will only lose a little bit; spin it off quickly and keep it cupped downwards then do the same when you put it back on.

I tried a ratchet spanner but couldn't get mine in the narrow gap between the bolt head and the sides of the bracket. I used a cranked ring spanner - if you had a slimmer ratchet spanner it might work - but mine didn't.

Although removing it it sounds a bit excessive, the alternator is only held on by 2 bolts, and you don't need to take it all the way off, just swing it out of the way and it can wedge somewhere on the front valance. Disconnect the battery first of course, but you can probably leave the alternator's electrical connections in place.

Once you have that bolt out you only need the parts off the engine for a few minutes to change the mount (I took the time to clean them up in a bucket of solvent but one doesn't have to). So, from my experience I'd say drop off the oil filter, try your ratchet on the front bolt just in case it works - then if not drop the alternator forward and leave it wedged (or tie it up with some wire) while you get the brackets out. I couldn't see any other way to do it and wasted lots of time trying out lots of things that didn't work.

Good fortune,

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Aug 28th, 2020 at 21:48. Reason: Grammar.