Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

The Joy Of 240's, with issues...

Views : 57787

Replies : 272

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 29th, 2020, 12:55   #161
CosmicBike

Well that was more challenging!
Oil filter off, and I managed to get on the front 12mm bolt with the alternator top mount disconnected and it swung against the inner wing. Was a 1/4 turn at a time mind.
All came off easily enough, and the old mount was at least still in 1 piece, but somewhat squashed and looking more like a lozenge in shape.
Getting the new one in was a game. Dropped into the crossmember ok, but the engine was about 1" away from the holes. Ended up with a second jack under the exhaust side to get things lined up.
Now I have an engine that doesn't move, and runs rough as it always does after the battery has been disconnected. Always resolves itself after a few runs though, very odd.
CosmicBike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CosmicBike For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 29th, 2020, 13:23   #162
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicBike View Post
Well that was more challenging!
Oil filter off, and I managed to get on the front 12mm bolt with the alternator top mount disconnected and it swung against the inner wing. Was a 1/4 turn at a time mind.
All came off easily enough, and the old mount was at least still in 1 piece, but somewhat squashed and looking more like a lozenge in shape.
Getting the new one in was a game. Dropped into the crossmember ok, but the engine was about 1" away from the holes. Ended up with a second jack under the exhaust side to get things lined up.
Now I have an engine that doesn't move, and runs rough as it always does after the battery has been disconnected. Always resolves itself after a few runs though, very odd.
Well done, good fix for next to no money.

:-)
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 4th, 2020, 19:13   #163
CosmicBike

I'm sure if I go back through this thread I'll find the point where I disconnected the MAF and it made no difference.....
Well last weekend I changed the crank position sensor. No reason other than the wiring being in a terrible state which I tape wrapped when I put the gearbox back in. Funnily enough a new CPS made no difference to the car running, but whilst it was doing it's best to throw the engine out I disconnected the MAF.
Apart from a smokey exhaust, she settled into a nice, if very rich idle. On the off chance, I picked up a used Bosch MAF from ebay for the £35 which arrived today. With fingers crossed I chucked it in after dinner, and WOW. Grace is like a new car! Instant start, super steady 800rpm idle with instant pick-up and zero lumpy running. A run up and down the bypass, she is now a pleasure to drive.
It's that good even SWMBO didn't hear us return to the driveway. Very pleased indeed, no idea why I didn't try it earlier.
Old Sep 4th, 2020, 19:16   #164
CosmicBike

Sure enough, page 10. That said I did all the tests and it showed good so I guess that's why I carried on with other things.
I'll take the positives, the ECT sensor is new and wasn't expensive, likewise the CPS.
Cosmetics now, and the search for some trim pieces.
Old Sep 5th, 2020, 07:28   #165
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
I'm sure if I go back through this thread I'll find the point where I disconnected the MAF and it made no difference.....
Well last weekend I changed the crank position sensor. No reason other than the wiring being in a terrible state which I tape wrapped when I put the gearbox back in. Funnily enough a new CPS made no difference to the car running, but whilst it was doing it's best to throw the engine out I disconnected the MAF.
Apart from a smokey exhaust, she settled into a nice, if very rich idle. On the off chance, I picked up a used Bosch MAF from ebay for the £35 which arrived today. With fingers crossed I chucked it in after dinner, and WOW. Grace is like a new car! Instant start, super steady 800rpm idle with instant pick-up and zero lumpy running. A run up and down the bypass, she is now a pleasure to drive.
It's that good even SWMBO didn't hear us return to the driveway. Very pleased indeed, no idea why I didn't try it earlier.
Good result, cheap as well.

Alan
Old Sep 5th, 2020, 15:37   #166
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Having a source of working spares is an invaluable diagnostic tool. But it's important to swap in the different bits one at a time and assess the result. It's very tempting to replace lots of bits at the same time, thinking you are doing a really good thorough job. But then if the result is a big improvement you don't know which bit was at fault, and you now have a stock of removed bits which may or may not be working.
So next time something goes wrong you are starting with a compromised stock of potential swaps. One of them is faulty, but you don't know which!
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2020, 19:30   #167
CosmicBike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford Pope View Post
Having a source of working spares is an invaluable diagnostic tool. But it's important to swap in the different bits one at a time and assess the result. It's very tempting to replace lots of bits at the same time, thinking you are doing a really good thorough job. But then if the result is a big improvement you don't know which bit was at fault, and you now have a stock of removed bits which may or may not be working.
So next time something goes wrong you are starting with a compromised stock of potential swaps. One of them is faulty, but you don't know which!
27 years as an engineer, I changed one bit at a time. I now know I have a good CPS and ECT spare, and a duff MAF. I got sent off track a bit due to the old MAF testing OK based on all info I could find, including the burn off signal, all being OK. I'm also wise enough to know that a new part isn't always a good part, having fitted no shortage of drives and control elements which are straight from the box, broken...
Old Sep 5th, 2020, 21:02   #168
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
27 years as an engineer, I changed one bit at a time. I now know I have a good CPS and ECT spare, and a duff MAF. I got sent off track a bit due to the old MAF testing OK based on all info I could find, including the burn off signal, all being OK. I'm also wise enough to know that a new part isn't always a good part, having fitted no shortage of drives and control elements which are straight from the box, broken...
That is so right. I'd been getting a few spurious signals from the parking sensors on my Škoda Superb so I ordered a replacement set (cheap set, £20/4 from eBay). The other day I thought I'd be really clever and change all 4 for the new ones, result: complete system failure. I put the old ones back in and started changing them one at a time, and found the duff one first guess. I can only conclude there must be a defective sensor amongst the three new ones I have left - I suppose a 25% failure rate is okay when they are only a fiver a piece (genuine Škoda ones are €88.62 each).

:-)

Alan
Old Sep 8th, 2020, 20:21   #169
CosmicBike

Grabbed a pair of rear light clusters from the bay of E for £35. They ain't perfect, but they are 100 times better than what's fitted. Will give them a tidy and that's another bit done.
Old Sep 11th, 2020, 19:35   #170
CosmicBike

A success, and a not so. New bumper clips arrived today, so rear hockey sticks no longer held on with gaffer tape and cables ties as they were when I bought Grace.
Not so good, I thought I'd try and tidy the Torslanda alloys. Always had good results from Bilt Hamber stuff, and their wheel cleaner is well thought of. In fairness it too an awful lot of the ingrained brake dust/iron off, but when I put the wheel back on the car you'd be pushed to tell which one I had done...
I'm contemplating getting a set of 15" wheels at some point, no rush mind as the 14" ones fitted had new tyres just before I bought it.