Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

240 rear wheel bearing

Views : 1584

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 10th, 2023, 01:42   #11
S40T3
Where does that bit go?

I'm beginning to think that the bearing might have been damaged when the garage pressed it on.

I have tried to delete the name of the supplier until I am sure that the bearing was defective as supplied, but cannot edit the post.

The mechanic placed a collar matching the diameter for the half shaft and pressed the bearing on. The locking ring was pressed on afterwards.

*IF* the collar was touching the outer cone it would have forced the taper over the rollers with considerable might. There are no marks on the inner surface of the cone, and the bearing appears to turn smoothly. I would have expected some marking.

When I place the outer cone from my old bearing on, all the slack disappears. I have ordered another bearing and will try swapping the outer cones. If the problem follows the cone, then I will assume that the problem is as I have described.

The new bearing won't be here until the end of the week and I will post an update when I know more.
S40T3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2023, 19:08   #12
Big 240

I know it's too late now but have you considered buying a bearing fitting tool set? I swapped my bearings on my Passat using one, very easy and satisfying job to do. I followed some YouTube guides initially, but they are quite straightforward to use.
Big 240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2023, 19:40   #13
S40T3
Where does that bit go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big 240 View Post
I know it's too late now but have you considered buying a bearing fitting tool set? I swapped my bearings on my Passat using one, very easy and satisfying job to do. I followed some YouTube guides initially, but they are quite straightforward to use.

Thanks for the info, but the Passat doesn't have a long driveshaft like the 240. I have pressed FWD bearings into the (similar) hub carrier of my son's Toyota using a big, old iron vice and suitable bushings.

This bearing and lock ring were pressed on with a couple of tons pressure, in a press with the capacity to accommodate a 24" shaft. I'm hoping that I can just swap the outer race when my next bearing arrives, else I have to cut the old bearing off with a grinder and grovel to the local garage proprietor anew.

Further to my 01:40AM insomnia post above, I have now been busy with dial caliper and micrometer and can say with some confidence that the bearing was not damaged or distorted during fitment. Inspecting the bearing surface with a jeweller's loupe shows no sign of scuffing, as postulated above.

All hope now rests with the next bearing, expected Thursday or Friday.......
The Following User Says Thank You to S40T3 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2023, 19:45   #14
Big 240

Ahh fair enough bud. Sounds like it's in good hands
Big 240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2023, 18:28   #15
S40T3
Where does that bit go?

Smile Update

The first replacement bearing had to be cut off, however, the local garage took pity on me and pressed the second replacement bearing with no charge.

The second bearing (Brookhouse) fitted up nicely with just running clearance (a couple of thou..) This bearing differed from the others in that the thin retaining ring was not removable and was marked with Timken, USA. Just be aware that the Brookhouse bearing kit does NOT include the inner oil seal - no problem for me as I had just fitted the seal from the duff bearing kit.

I have now removed and re-greased the other (nearside) bearing, depleted my stock of expletives on the handbrake shoe springs and I'm just waiting on new disks (that I belatedly decided to replace) to arrive before all is sunny uplands in GLT Heaven....
Old Oct 18th, 2023, 22:23   #16
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Should have just used a SKF set to start
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rear axle prob ?