Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New owner c70 roof problem someone help??

Views : 355

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 6th, 2024, 23:45   #1
Rogc70

Default New owner c70 roof problem someone help??

Hello all ,
Just like to say hello to everybody on this forum .
I have just become a Volvo c70 owner and encountered a problem I hope someone can help with . On the dashboard it says roof service failure now the roof still works ok but thinking it might fail unless I intervene . Now the carpet below the spare wheel is damp to the touch and I know the roof hydraulic pump
Is in the boot I haven’t looked yet tho , could it be the pump needs topping up with hydraulic oil ? If so what is the oil type . And is the boot carpet easy to take up by that I mean if I undo the anchor loop torx bolts will the nuts underneath fall off or are they pressed into the body of the boot . Also does the boot suffer from water ingress if so does the boot have drain holes I can clean out . Many thanks Roger
Rogc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2024, 16:08   #2
Simmy
Premier Member

Smile

leaks can occur if the seals on the lights have been disturbed replacements are abt £10 each check the drain holes in the gutter around the boot are not blocked don't poke them with wire as this can puncture the tubes the most common reason for the roof service message is a broken wire that feed hall sensor 3 in the rear wing. if you need to top up the fluid dont over fill as to much is worse then too little . check for fluid leaks if a top up is required . dry up any water as the roof pump is wrapped in foam an will hold moisture. a scan with vida will narrow down any faults with the roof module join the c70 owners group on face book for info and experts on running c70s. ps yes the nuts are captive and wont fall off

Last edited by Simmy; Mar 7th, 2024 at 16:14. Reason: more info
Simmy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 11th, 2024, 11:42   #3
Rogc70

Hi thank you for the advice I will have a look when the weather improves . I don’t have the vida system tho so will check for water and wire breakages
Old Mar 11th, 2024, 11:55   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogc70 View Post
Hi thank you for the advice I will have a look when the weather improves . I don’t have the vida system tho so will check for water and wire breakages
The pump will be damaged beyond repair if it has been wet for long .... does it make a whirring sound at all?
Old Mar 11th, 2024, 16:47   #5
Simmy
Premier Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogc70 View Post
if you join some of the Yorkshire Volvo Facebook groups there will be some members who have vida who will be willing to help
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 12th, 2024, 20:36   #6
Rogc70

Hi
To both of you and thanks for the help , I got round to looking at it today I took up the boot mat and got to the pump as you said the bottom half of the foam was sodden with water this had caused the bottom of the pump to discolour I cleaned it up ,dried the foam out . The oil was 1pm below min level so topped it up. Cleaned the drivers side boot drain hole by forcing water Dow it it came out well on that side but the other side is blocked any ideas for unblocking it ????? I’ve tried a foot pump and water but it seems blocked well.
Inspecting the back lights the seals seemed to have failed and the light lenses are coming away from the body the reversing light bit , I take it I can silicone these up when the weather is better . Can I silicone the light units in too ??? I’m guessing they are a foam seal or sorts . I quite handy and have an agricultural background . Also do I need to reset the fault codes ? As it came up after I topped it up
Old Mar 12th, 2024, 22:49   #7
Simmy
Premier Member

foam light seals are abt £10 per side when the boot channel drains are blocked it sends all the water down over the lights the problem is the drain tubes have quite a sharp bend halfway down. try with a fine water jet to dislodge crud from the pipe if this fails they can be removed from behind the wheel arch liner also clean the channel below the rear screen i use a zip tie for this as its quite narrow

Last edited by Simmy; Mar 12th, 2024 at 22:55.

Tags
c70 roof problems