Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 very inter power loss cured !!

Views : 85801

Replies : 128

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 24th, 2010, 01:21   #61
toolbah
Master Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by v70-xc90man View Post
Driving lessons not needed thanks and i do know the rules,did i hit the 8 key instead of the 6 key? my mistake!Thanks for pointing that out to me,anyway i see you thrive on other people's comments by just looking at you picture with what you are really saying to everyone you reply too!
Just doing my public duty its a 24/7 job you know!!
Good to see it was a typing error, dont want to get Volvo drivers a bad name, do we?? I will look out for you!!

Last edited by toolbah; Aug 24th, 2010 at 01:27.
toolbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2010, 20:46   #62
flying.man

Default Turbo fresh air pipe dimmensions

Hi Just had a pipe delivered and took the measurements -
53mm diameter both ends with 21mm spigot, 190mm along the longest edge, 140mm on short edge ( spigot sit about 1/3 from the end on short edge)
Best of luck if you get the Samco hose & keep us posted
Regards
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60-MBS View Post
Hi Hobbyhorse ,I just had an idea about the designer hose lol.Do you still have the old hose you removed? While at my friendy garage today I spotted a car with silicon hose's .Maybe its just possible the fresh air hose can be replaced by using a Samco or similar silcion hose which may be a cheaper option.Do you have the dimensions for the old hose?
flying.man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 11:52   #63
howie 1
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
The fact that the vacuum collapsed the weakened from oil pipe also shows that the engine would benefit from a larger air filter and pipework to the turbo ... In an ideal world there would be no vacuum at the turbo charger inlet ..

its been a long time since my last physics class but from what i recall from those long ago days that could never happen when using air at ambient pressure, due to the pressure drop at the compressor inlet which of course causes the incoming air velocity to increase and we all know what mr bernoulli states happens then.....or maybe its been so long ago im confusing bernouli with charles, boyle, henry, newton and the rest of ever so clever sods from the 16th century who sussed out the basic gas laws
howie 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2010, 15:48   #64
cambrai

Hi, I'm currently trying my best to change this pipe. Alas no matter what I do I can't get the smaller pipe back in at the elbow. Square plug round hole!!! ARGGGHHHHHH!!
Does anyone have any tips. Its getting dark now.

Thanks all
Steve
cambrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2010, 15:59   #65
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cambrai View Post
Hi, I'm currently trying my best to change this pipe. Alas no matter what I do I can't get the smaller pipe back in at the elbow. Square plug round hole!!! ARGGGHHHHHH!!
Does anyone have any tips. Its getting dark now.

Thanks all
Steve

Steve this is an extract from a previous post on this thread and is definitely the way i would have done it.

"The new pipe is very hard & I struggled to get the crankcase ventilation spigot in for 15 minutes.To make this easy i put my new pipe in a tub and covered it with a kettle full of just boiled water- left it for a minute and then, once the heat had softened up the pipe, just pushed the crankcase ventilation spigot thingmajiggy straight in by hand pretty easily( it had been impossible whilst cold).

Hope this helps Darryl
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2010, 17:54   #66
princepugh

Or perhaps, a hairdryer?
princepugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2010, 18:23   #67
cambrai

well its been 4 hours now and no joy. I'm starting to wonder if this part is the actual correct one. It just won't go on. Fed up, tired, hands in shreds arms in bits and that car is looking at a one way trip over a cliff with a petrol soaked burning rag sticking out of the fuel tank.

Well thats it ive given up. Ive tried boiling water, hairdryer brut force there is no way that fits on there.
nearly 5 hours simply trying to shove a plastic pipe in a rubber hose and it has defeated me.
RAC I suppose.

Last edited by cambrai; Dec 8th, 2010 at 19:13.
Old Dec 8th, 2010, 22:00   #68
cambrai

Well I percivered freezing outside and headtorch on I at last did it. What an epic!! Car is running better however there is still a suspect air whistling sound which I believe is coming from the air filter box. I replaced the sponge thing which was missing at the back of the box with a genuine volvo part but it doesn't seem to seal the hole there and I'm sure that is where the air is escaping.
God 7 hours to fit a plastic pipe in a rubber hose!! Never again.
Any thoughts on the air box?
BTW its a 2002(52) S60 D5, 130K. (And its bleeding me dry).
Old Dec 9th, 2010, 15:27   #69
hobbyhorse
Premier Member

r
Quote:
Originally Posted by cambrai View Post
there is still a suspect air whistling sound which I believe is coming from the air filter box.
If it 'whooshes' like turbo dumping on the overun it's got a touch of overboost ~ the excess air forces it's way back past the compressor turbine, the noise emanates from the airbox; it is likely to be either the boost control valve (near the starter) or the vac valve for the engine mounts (mounted on the outside of the airbox), for testing you can isolate the the latter by simply pulling the power supply plug, don't be surprised if the fault miraculously disappears when you touch the vac valve
Old Dec 9th, 2010, 18:06   #70
cambrai

Hi thanks Hobbyhorse for the info. I unplugged what I believe is the MAF sensor (the plug which sits at the front of the air box) and yep the noise is no more. Do I need to replace it and if so is it mega expensive?

Once again thanks for the tip.

Regards Steve