Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help with a strange raspy whining noise

Views : 501

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 13th, 2021, 21:56   #1
Hendo78

Default Help with a strange raspy whining noise

Hi all

I have a Volvo XC90 Inscription 2015 with about 93,000 miles.

It has a full service history and I have had no issues of substance to date, great car.

I did a 500 mile round trip on Thursday and then on Friday when I drove the car I could hear a whining raspy noise when a I was traveling at low speeds 30mph.

I took the car on the motorway and no issues, the noise went away or at least I couldn't hear it. When I dropped down to 30mp again though the noise was present again.

The noise is present at those speeds and when I am coasting not pressing the accelerator. when I parked up I put the car in neutral and slightly put my foot on the accelerator and it was present again, the more I pressed the louder it gets to a point and then it can no longer be heard. Seems linked to accelerator but strange it is present at low speeds when I am coasting.

It remains when coasting downhill, if I move the steering wheel and like I say is present when parked in neutral with my foot slightly on the accelerator so don't think its bearings.

Does anyone have any idea on what this could be ?

I don't think the car is underpowered or at least its difficult to tell but I do feel when I take my foot of the accelerator there is a little delay in the the revs coming down, albeit that could be me overthinking it a little.

The noise is similar to when kids used to put cardboard in their tyres on bicycles, although its not overly loud, only slight.

Any help much appreciated

Last edited by Hendo78; Nov 13th, 2021 at 22:09.
Hendo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2021, 22:17   #2
AlexKnopp

Hi
There are still plenty of bearings moving around when you are stationary. Such as those in your alternator or your water pump etc.
Last time I had a similar noise it was the alternator. I would lift the bonnet and expose the auxiliary belt and listen down there, you may find its coming from something down there.
Old Nov 13th, 2021, 22:24   #3
Hendo78

Thanks for that Alex I will take a look.

I am just hoping its not the turbo.
Hendo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2021, 13:00   #4
Darlo 1
Lunatic.

I had a strange whining noise coming from my T4 years ago, stopped when i got divorced.
S60 D5 2004.
I vape therefore I am.
Darlo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Darlo 1 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 17th, 2021, 01:55   #5
MGSheff

Have you checked the tyres to see if there is some cardboard stuck in the spokes?
MGSheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2021, 02:12   #6
MGSheff

If the noise is there when you are parked up and in neutral then it will be in the engine bay and the drive transmission is in the clear. Have a look under the bonnet.
MGSheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2021, 10:56   #7
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

If it's there with the engine ticking over while parked there's always the old skool trick of taking a length of wood and positioning one end on a bearing or suspect part then putting your ear to the other end to listen, posh mechanics use a proper stethoscope device

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2021, 21:38   #8
Ian21401
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNP View Post
If it's there with the engine ticking over while parked there's always the old skool trick of taking a length of wood and positioning one end on a bearing or suspect part then putting your ear to the other end to listen, posh mechanics use a proper stethoscope device
I have used a home made stethoscope in the past to locate such a noise.
A couple of feet of plastic tubing with a small plastic funnel jammed in one end. Place the funnel to an ear and the other end of the tube against whatever you wish to check. It’s amazing how much sound can be heard. Tappet noise when placed against the camshaft cover. Bearing noise when placed against a water pump or alternator. etc.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 18th, 2021, 16:33   #9
Org

Is it worse when the engine is cold just after starting? If its bad when decelerating or coasting then I would check the alternator pulley as it will have a clutch that allows it to free wheel one way but drive the other, if this has failed and there is no freewheeling the belt slips and causes all sorts of weird noises. It took me about a week to find it on my car, you have to remove the auxiliary belt and then stick a screwdriver or preferably a piece of wood in the alternator to stop it spinning and check the pulley drives one way but freewheels the other a bit like a bicycle.
Org is offline   Reply With Quote