Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Starting Problem

Views : 62560

Replies : 124

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 25th, 2019, 16:57   #121
Robert H

Default 2.0D Starting Issues

I’ve got a 09 plate V50 2.0D with 120K on the clock and it’s developed starting issues, sometimes it’ll take a couple of minutes cranking to start other times it won’t start at all. Once started however it runs sweet as a nut. I’ve replaced the throttle as suggested and whilst the old one was oily changing it didn’t solve the problem. I’ve had the battery checked and that’s all good, I don’t think it’s the fuel pump as that’s less than two years old. I’ve plugged in a fault code reader and that says everything thing is fine. Any ideas? I’m extremely reluctant to take it to the garage without some idea as to what’s wrong as I don’t want to pay for random experimental parts swapping.

Thanks

Rob
Robert H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2019, 12:23   #122
Robert H

Turned out to be the starter motor in my case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert H View Post
I’ve got a 09 plate V50 2.0D with 120K on the clock and it’s developed starting issues, sometimes it’ll take a couple of minutes cranking to start other times it won’t start at all. Once started however it runs sweet as a nut. I’ve replaced the throttle as suggested and whilst the old one was oily changing it didn’t solve the problem. I’ve had the battery checked and that’s all good, I don’t think it’s the fuel pump as that’s less than two years old. I’ve plugged in a fault code reader and that says everything thing is fine. Any ideas? I’m extremely reluctant to take it to the garage without some idea as to what’s wrong as I don’t want to pay for random experimental parts swapping.

Thanks

Rob
Robert H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2021, 14:58   #123
dennisl1
VOC President

Default Same problem

I have had this starting problem on my 57 plate C30 2.0D so booked it into Kastner Volvo in Exeter then decided to consult the forum and saw the reply from Clan. Took the car to Kastner described the issue and before I could say anything about the forum Ben the service manager immediately said, 'Sticking Throttle'. So they knew the answer straight away which was the first good bit then the next good bit was a bill of just £60 to resolve the problem! I had been thinking a great deal more than that.
dennisl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2021, 23:37   #124
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisl1 View Post
I have had this starting problem on my 57 plate C30 2.0D so booked it into Kastner Volvo in Exeter then decided to consult the forum and saw the reply from Clan. Took the car to Kastner described the issue and before I could say anything about the forum Ben the service manager immediately said, 'Sticking Throttle'. So they knew the answer straight away which was the first good bit then the next good bit was a bill of just £60 to resolve the problem! I had been thinking a great deal more than that.
They should know about it , It has been a problem on and off since 2008 there was a bulletin 10 years ago about filing the edge of the throttle flap . did they do that or just fit a new throttle housing which will stick again after 5 years or so ?
Old Jan 29th, 2022, 21:04   #125
sOFFe

Default Starting problem C30 2.0 d 2007

I have starting problems with my C30 2.0 d 2007.
Same engine as in V50.
Good battery and have diesel in tank but engine will not start.
Have fault codes 0380 (glow plug relay) and 2263 (Turbo Charger Control) but car has started before with same codes.
History: I bought this car one year ago to fix for my doughter. Fixed some issues with DPF-pressure sensor and ABS-sensor and car has always started fine but suddenly it will not start so i kind of put it aside for three month ago. Cranked ok but would not start.
One Day I tried start it and it started in one second and run fine for two days but the third day it was like before. Cranked just fine but will not start.
Please advice what to look for.
PS this engine got the Y-shaped throttle body.
sOFFe is offline   Reply With Quote